ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft

Has anyone got a guide/experience to fitting driveshafts on MK1 172

Need to change the inner CV boot on the drivers side driveshaft - does this require full shaft to be removed or can it be slit on the car?

Any help appreciated

Suprised no one has done this?

Anyway its off to the garage to get fitted for a not to bad 50 quid Renault too am shocked.

Clio 172mk2
lucky u , i foned renault up asking how much to add another metal tie to the cv boot and fill it with greese, the replay i got was

well the inspection fee is 30 quid , and then we will tell u if it needs a metal clip , cv boot , or new drive shaft.

it was only the clip that came off so thought f*** it do it me sen

MERCEDES CLS AMG
You will have to take the full shaft off. Unbolt the wheel and undo the hub nut - disconnect the hub from the wishbone / ball joint and undo the track rod end bolt and knock it out of the hub. Drain the gearbox oil. Then pull the hub towards you and pull the shaft out of the box. Pull the old gaiters off - you need to remove the outer one to fit the inner one ( cut them ) and the fit the new gaitors - there are 2 styles depending on the type of shaft fitted to your car - one has 3 prongs on the end and the other is circular. Simply pack the gaitors full of grease and repeat the process in reverse.

Last edited:
  E92 M3 Monte Carlo
j3ned said:
You will have to take the full shaft off. Unbolt the wheel and undo the hub nut - disconnect the hub from the wishbone / ball joint and undo the track rod end bolt and knock it out of the hub. Drain the gearbox oil. Then pull the hub towards you and pull the shaft out of the box. Pull the old gaiters off - you need to remove the outer one to fit the inner one ( cut them ) and the fit the new gaitors - there are 2 styles depending on the type of shaft fitted to your car - one has 3 prongs on the end and the other is circular. Simply pack the gaitors full of grease and repeat the process in reverse.

very helpful guide that j3ned people always seem to miss your name out when asking what they call the experts

Clio 172mk2
j3ned isnt it right to get that metal tie trap thing on u need a special tool , or so i was informed

MERCEDES CLS AMG
you actually get new tie wraps with the gaitors - a simple pair of pliers that can cut and grip will do the trick :)

Mazda MX5 1.8
i think i may have a similar issue with mine

whenever i take the wheel off after a reasonable amount of time i have a bit of green (looks green to me altho is very dirty from brake dust and all that) greese sitting on the inside of the wheel

isnt very obvious where its coming from tho.....

sound like the same problem?

Mazda MX5 1.8
yeah i had a look but couldnt see any cuts or holes and it seems to be attached pretty solidly...

im gonna take it to the garage and get a oil change so will get them to check it whilst they're at it