ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drive Shaft Gator??

Renaultsport Clio 182
had my car booked into Renault today to have the bonnet catch replaced free of charge and while it was there they did a free 25 point inspection. everything came back ok except for one thing.

mechanic said that the O/S Drive Shaft Gator had split?
confused.gif
he told me it would need replacing and i'd be looking at about £120 for the work.
does this sound about right?

i mentioned that my MOT is due soon and he said that this would be a failure - is he right? Also how urgent is the replacement and what problem can result from it? (i'm a sledge when it comes to the oily bits
blush.gif
)

any chance of a part number / price from the boys in the know please?
bigsmile.gif

Cheers
Sarge

Monaco 172 (5/468)
Take it down the local garage, i did mine myself but i do have a bit of knowledge when it comes to replacing bit, hes right it is a failure but its not a massive job, it holds grease inside if It splits you will have it all over.... :S

Renaultsport Clio 182
cheers johnny! i'm a complete clot when it comes to car mechanics.

think i'll get the part myself and then get my garage to fit it when they do the MOT towards the end of the month. will it be ok to wait till then (about 2 weeks) or is it an urgent job that needs putting right asap?

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Which gaiter has gone? Nearest wheel or nearest gearbox?

I had both my o/s gaiters done at a garage last week for £80.

PH1 172 Sport
Not really best to leave it IMO especially in this weather its going to get full of salt and grit etc.

had my car booked into Renault today to have the bonnet catch replaced free of charge and while it was there they did a free 25 point inspection. everything came back ok except for one thing.

mechanic said that the O/S Drive Shaft Gator had split?
confused.gif
he told me it would need replacing and i'd be looking at about £120 for the work.
does this sound about right?

i mentioned that my MOT is due soon and he said that this would be a failure - is he right? Also how urgent is the replacement and what problem can result from it? (i'm a sledge when it comes to the oily bits
blush.gif
)

any chance of a part number / price from the boys in the know please?
bigsmile.gif

Cheers
Sarge

OMG this is exactly the same as i have done today same problem was tols £2 odd for the clip and total £58 bill told him he must have xpensive grease :clown:
oh and the paint on my artic blue has bubbled under the bonnet which is down to stone chips :clown: going back t morra as he was in a meeting when i got my car back to show him he is full of it:rasp:

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Not really best to leave it IMO especially in this weather its going to get full of salt and grit etc.

Agreed, certainly doesn't take long to ruin your CV joints when the boots split in this weather! A little garage wouldn't charge you more then an hours labour to do it, and just get the boot and clip yourself. Reckon it'd be around £60 all in.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
The wilco motorsave that changed both mine for £80, said for just the outer gaiter it would be £35.

Renaultsport Clio 182
Which gaiter has gone? Nearest wheel or nearest gearbox?

I had both my o/s gaiters done at a garage last week for £80.

i haven'y got a clue mate? the inspection sheet just said "O/S Drive Shaft Gator" and that's it. no i'm confused as i dont know which part i'd need :S

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
i haven'y got a clue mate? the inspection sheet just said "O/S Drive Shaft Gator" and that's it. no i'm confused as i dont know which part i'd need :S

Stick your hand behind the o/s wheel and feel your hand round the driveshaft and rubber boot area, if its all greasy around there then it'll probably be the outer (further away from gearbox) CV gaiter. It may be less obvious then this though without getting it up on stands or ramps.

Renaultsport Clio 182
^^^i'll try that in the morning when i can actually see what i'm doing. failing that i might just ring the garage tomorrow and see if they remember which one it is - hopefully he'll remember?