ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Draytek Vigor 2820 anyone got one ?

just had one turn up and as far as i can tell i can set up 2 wireless networks with it and i have done that but i want one as public and one as private

the public one i want to only be able to access the internet but the private one i want to have access to the lan

the public needs dhcp from the router but private from my dhcp server

what is teh best way to go about doing this

ta

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Top drawer bits of kit. I'd have one at home instead of work, if I could afford it - lol.

Not tried multiple wireless networks on it though, so I couldn't comment.

D.

i only bought it to stick at one of our remote users places but though f**k it its better than what im using on my private line at work :)

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Good bits of kit.

You should be able to to what u said.
Sounds similar to what i did with another model in the draytek range.

Takes a bit of messing about. Still going strong tho :D

Fiesta ST
I do like the Draytek stuff - always has lots of little features that can be generally pretty useful.

DMS

A thirsty 172
You should be able to set up 2 VLAN's on it and assign each each of the wireless adapters to one of them.
You should be able to configure the DHCP server on the router and bind it to one of the VLAN's and configure the other VLAN to not use DHCP. If your internal server is connected to one of the ethernet ports on the router, DHCP broadcasts should automatically be picked up by clients on the same VLAN with access to the internal network and everything should work.
The internet-only VLAN would need a default route of 0.0.0.0 and no other static routes configured, so that all traffic goes out through the WAN port. The VLAN with internal access should have a routing table populated in the normal fashion.

Not sure if you can do all that through the web admin. You may need to configure some of the options through the console (via telnet, possibly not on port 23?)

EDIT: It's late. I could be completely wrong...

darren will give it a go

on the admin console the vlan menu is very limited and doesnt allow you to select anything other than Ethernet ports :(

darren will give it a go

on the admin console the vlan menu is very limited and doesnt allow you to select anything other than Ethernet ports :(
McBunny (or anyone reading this thread)

This is what I want to be able to do as well for a small charity I am trying to help.

They have a Draytek 2820 connected to the internet with DHCP turned off. It is connected to a server running SBS which is managing DHCP via an unmanaged switch for all its client computers plus a wireless access point that needs to be available to the public.

In the current configuration however, when connected to the wireless access point all of the computers on the LAN are visible.

If the Draytek could run an isolated DHCP service just for the wireless access point, I could plug the access point directly into the Draytek and bypass the switch and SBS server.

McBunny - did you solve this and if so how? I'm technical but not overly when it comes to networks so an idiots style guide to how you did it (or anyone else who knows) would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Does the access point not have layer 2 isolation options?
Thanks Longy for your reply. As I said in my post, I am technical but not overly when it comes to networking, so I am unclear on your question.

Is Layer 2 Isolation something to do with VLAN? The access point is a Draytek Vigor AP-700 which has the ability to create up to four SSIDs and the 3 additional SSIDs can be given a VLAN tag.

From my limited understanding is this what you mean? If so, then in answer, yes it does, but (again with my limited understanding) if it is not possible to create a VLAN in between the server and the access point then isn't it the case that the guest wifi would still be able to see the LAN?

Sorry if I have misunderstood, but thanks again for any help or clarification on this.

Fiesta ST
I don't think the AP-700 supports layer 2 isolation.

I would set up your network up this way:

Internet ----> WAN Port on 2820 ----> Lan Port1 on 2820 ----> Switch with SBS on (SBS Running DHCP, DHCP disabled on 2820)

LAN Port2 on 2820 ----> connected directly AP700 ----> AP700 enable DHCP Server, serving wireless clients.

On the 2820 enable VLAN1 on P2 and setup a second IP subnet under LAN -> General setup eg 192.168.10.1 (different from 1st IP address which SBS network uses as a gateway)

Setup the AP700 with an IP of 192.168.10.2 and setup for VLAN1 with a gateway and DNS address of 192.168.10.1.

Oil Burner
We have one at home, its got all the security that my old man needs, but its always crashing. Our house usually destroys routers in no time though, not sure why. And this one has survived much longer than any others.

Thanks Longy for your feedback on this.

I think I understand and will do better when I can login to the 2820 and AP-700 to find the settings I need to configure.

Will post back how I get on.

Thanks again.

Hi, I have tried this, but have not been completely successful.

The AP-700 is cabled to P2 on the Draytek 2820 with the SBS Server connected to P1. The 2820 is connected to ADSL.

The AP-700 is set up as a DHCP server as Longy suggested and I can connect to the AP-700 and am given an IP address from the AP-700's IP address pool.

However, the connection does not allow me to access the Internet.

I am unclear on what settings I need for this for the AP-700. I have set those I think are right then I must have set something wrong, or there is something that needs to be further set on the Draytek 2820.

The Draytek 2820 is set as follows:

LAN IP Network Configuration
For Nat Usage
1st IP Address: 192.168.25.254
1st Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

For IP Routing Usage: Enabled
2nd IP Address: 192.168.10.1
2nd Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DHCP is off

On the AP-700 this is configuration

Management IP
--------------
IP Address: 192.168.10.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address: 192.168.10.1 (0.0.0.0)
DHCP Server: Enabled

DHCP Server
------------
Default Gateway IP: 192.168.10.2
Domain Name Server IP: 192.168.10.2
Start IP: 192.168.10.100
End IP: 192.168.10.200
Domain Name: _
Lease Time: One Hour

I have tried all sorts of variants with the Management and DHCP Server settings but with no success. I can do a network scan on my phone and it shows the Draytek 2820 as 192.168.10.1, the AP-700 as 192.168.10.2 and my phone as 192.168.10.100, so it looks like everything is connected internally, but the connection is not going out to the internet.

I am at a loss to understand what is not right - possibly something else needs to be set on the router?

Again any help with this would be much appreciated.

Fiesta ST
Can a wireless client ping the 2820 on 192.168.10.1?

Can the wireless client ping 212.58.246.94?

If so, you may have a DNS issue. Make sure the AP-700 has the DNS set to 192.168.10.1 and is giving out this DNS to the wireless clients.

Can you do a ipconfig /all on a wireless client and post the result.