ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jekyll's RB182 Progress Thread

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Great pic of you and your nan Mark and exactly why the wedding got tweaked, hope you both had a great day! Car looks great as usual and will be even better after the weekend! Looking forward to the pics and write up

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
How much were the genuine wishbones mate? Thinking of getting a pair in the future.

I paid £126 from Renault Wolverhampton by buying them separate as i didnt see the pair in one sale, however ive jsut seen this so a couple of quid cheaper from the same guys :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-R...182663&hash=item41bcb7bef4:g:tb4AAOSw3xJVcCJK

Great pic of you and your nan Mark and exactly why the wedding got tweaked, hope you both had a great day! Car looks great as usual and will be even better after the weekend! Looking forward to the pics and write up

Absolutely mate, thank you.

Me? Pics? You sure you got the right guy? :tonguewink:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I paid £126 from Renault Wolverhampton by buying them separate as i didnt see the pair in one sale, however ive jsut seen this so a couple of quid cheaper from the same guys :smile: Me? Pics? You sure you got the right guy? :tonguewink:

One of the reasons I love this thread is the pics, I always forget to take some/can't be bothered 😂 I must try harder

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Congrats again Mark .... that's a great photo of you and your Nan as well.

Weird about the rear calipers failing, never heard anyone have that problem, always seems to be the fronts.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
That's not bad at all, are they the cup spec ones with the added caster?

I have no idea bud. Oddly the ones I linked say there for a ph1, the ones I bought say there for all models of 172/182 yet the part numbers are the same.

Many congratulations to you and Emily ...... best news I've seen today.

Thank you very much Graham :smiley:

Congrats again Mark .... that's a great photo of you and your Nan as well.

Weird about the rear calipers failing, never heard anyone have that problem, always seems to be the fronts.

Thanks Ethan :smile:

Rear is very rare. That was part of the reason of getting second hand rears. Plus new reconditioned ones are £100+ each.

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
£283 Bilstein rear shocks
£167 Refurb front calipers & nipples (£48 surcharge)
£150 PMS top mounts
£55 ARB bushes
£35 Rear 2nd hand calipers
£126 Pair of genuine lower arms
£6 Stainless steel nipples for rear calipers

Clio RS
Didnt you remopved the unibal solid top mounts already and have now the drilled holes there with standart topmounts? Why you wana change now again back to solid topmouns?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Didnt you remopved the unibal solid top mounts already and have now the drilled holes there with standart topmounts? Why you wana change now again back to solid topmouns?

I did yes. When I bought the car, it came with Ktec solid top mounts which I sold as it was easy to make money back. I then bought aftermarket Febi ones, which are ok. They do creak however, when the car is stationary and I'm turning.

Whenever I lift up the bonnet, is see the 3x drill holes from where the old mounts were and I hate that with a passion. I like the turn in feel of solid top mounts so I opted to buy new PMS ones which I'd thought about doing for some time.

We shall we how they are but I think they'll be better with the bilsteins I have over the Ktec mounts and Cliosport springs I had before.

Wheels?
Stud kit?

:smile:

Nah! Been there, bought/have that!

I went from k-tec mounts to PMS, couldn't actually notice any difference apart from the KTec ones come with a nicer top plate if you don't have a strut brace. Luckily the holes were in the correct place so fitted straight in.

Congratulations on the wedding Mark, that's great news........ didn't expect that as I was reading. Lovely photos too!

Those scenic ones on holiday, they'd probably swipe them for a tourist brochure they are that good. Not the one of your arse mind! 😂

Just replaced the top mounts on mine as had the usual knocking on the front, was VERY tempted to go KTEC but actually went for genuine Renault in the end, for only £30 ish per side, they'll do me for what I want from the car. So tempting for solid ones tho!!

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Congratulations on the wedding and staggering scenic photos.
Excellent updates as usual - I've added wishbones to my to do/buy/hide from the Mrs list lol.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Would be great if you could give here your experience with the PMS Mounts! I will buy them to.

I will keep you updated mate :up:

What benefits are there with these mounts?

Better turn in, direct steering, covers my holes in the turrets!

He said £700 THIS WEEK!
Second best at csf Mark, if you break it you deserve to be perma-banned and sent to csoc for ever.

CSOC? I lasted a few months, but being polite, that place is just not for me :wink:

I went from k-tec mounts to PMS, couldn't actually notice any difference apart from the KTec ones come with a nicer top plate if you don't have a strut brace. Luckily the holes were in the correct place so fitted straight in.

This is good to hear. When i spoke to Nick, he said the difference in PDC between the PMS ones and the Ktec ones was 1mm. Yes the Ktec ones look better, but i didnt want to spend another £200 so opted for the cheaper PMS ones. Plus i wanted to try them as i had the Ktec ones before, although that was combined with Cooksports.

First of the losers IIRC.

Still a winner of some sort :wink:

Congratulations on the wedding Mark, that's great news........ didn't expect that as I was reading. Lovely photos too!

Those scenic ones on holiday, they'd probably swipe them for a tourist brochure they are that good. Not the one of your arse mind! 😂

Just replaced the top mounts on mine as had the usual knocking on the front, was VERY tempted to go KTEC but actually went for genuine Renault in the end, for only £30 ish per side, they'll do me for what I want from the car. So tempting for solid ones tho!!

Thought a through a funny one in the mix! Thanks Steve :smile:

Theres probably nowt wrong with genuine ones now they've sorted the issue out with them.

Bit harsh, but the truth usually is. [emoji23]

I'll take it anyway.

Congratulations on the wedding and staggering scenic photos.
Excellent updates as usual - I've added wishbones to my to do/buy/hide from the Mrs list lol.

Thanks Andy :smile:

Its service parts. Thats what my excuse is! :up:

PMS top mounts turned up.

36948604334_f343806152_z.jpg

37626786422_bd3b3f1747_z.jpg

23806509728_f5a321e19c_z.jpg

Took advantage of GSF's midweek discount code and bought some ATE 200 (Ex Superblue) brake fluid as i was unsure how much i had left from my old bottle. Got it for the grand some of £9.50 :smile:

37626933632_78bf28137e_z.jpg

Painted the front calipers blue and fitted the new stainless steel bleed nipples

37646395272_a4117ccfe7_z.jpg

37646400212_9e2a75141f_z.jpg

23826065128_71d29500af_z.jpg

Ignore the paint on the rubber, i got most of it off. The rest can stay on as it'll get covered in brake dust and hide it!

Rear calipers turned up today. Looked clean for 2nd hand calipers and the seller made sure he picked the best set. Sliders all free and all clips were included. I cleaned them up and gave them a quick silver paint. It was quick and i wasn't bothered if i got paint on the rubbers, i just wanted them clean looking. I removed the slider pins and gave them a regrease before refitting along with the newly purchased stainless steel bleed nipples. Carriers have been painted blue to match the fronts.

23826069768_314066dabf_z.jpg

37679261901_5dc50c266c_z.jpg

37421004820_48446186b8_z.jpg

For anybody wanting to know, the bleed nipple sizes are M7 X 1.00 :up:

Plans tomorrow are to hopefully get all bits fitted with the help of @MrBlonde. These are:

Fit PMS top mounts
Fit new genuine lower arms
Fits powerflex inner and outer ARB bushes
Fit new brakes, front and rear and rebleed the system with new fluid.

I have a few issues that i may look into if i have time. They are:

Look at heater as its blowing hot 90% of the time again
Tighten the [passenger seat as its a tad loose
Fit spare speakers in the rear as mine are blown
Clean car/wheels

Will keep you updated with the progress :up:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Nice update Mark. Just be careful with the paint on the rubbers as it can often lead to them splitting. Will be great with the PMS top mounts fitted. Cure your OCD ;)

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Calipers looking great Mark, will be interesting to hear what you think of the PMS top mounts, I think i need new top mounts shortly and keep looking at them on the PMS website along with everything else on there 😂

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Calipers looking great Mark, will be interesting to hear what you think of the PMS top mounts, I think i need new top mounts shortly and keep looking at them on the PMS website along with everything else on there 😂

I'll keep you updated. They seem affordable and great if you want to add the brace at a later date.

Prices after them ktec and then grams/Kam racing and then big money AST''s. I was limited as I already have the holes in the turrets so only had 2 options. If i didn't and wanted to go for solid mounts, I'd of gone for Kam racing grams ones.

Looking on the PMS site is naughty as you see so many nice things and start to think....

Yeah I'm considering pms top mounts too. I've some jobs to do in the car tomorrow, if I can find the motivation!

They seem to get good reviews. I'll see what I think and let you know.

Snap, am hoping the weather is good that might make me drag myself outside :smile:

It is meant to be nice tomorrow ;)

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I'll keep you updated. They seem affordable and great if you want to add the brace at a later date. Prices after them ktec and then grams/Kam racing and then big money AST''s. I was limited as I already have the holes in the turrets so only had 2 options. If i didn't and wanted to go for solid mounts, I'd of gone for Kam racing grams ones. Looking on the PMS site is naughty as you see so many nice things and start to think.... They seem to get good reviews. I'll see what I think and let you know. It is meant to be nice tomorrow :wink:

I do need to look at the cup, will try and get over and see Alex
and get him to have a look at it if he has time :up:

Oh no not heater problems again for you too!! 🙈 I'm keeping my fingers crossed mine is sorted now it has the new resister fitted for the fan speed, still unsure whats going on with the temperature tho/heat lol! Should be getting my car out for some small jobs today too!

You said there used to be issues with the genuine top mounts Mark?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Well i'll look into the heater issue and maybe change the clamp for a julie clip as the current spring clamp maybe slipping? Worth a try, should only take a little bit of time. Job for one night after work though.

The top mounts had issues with them knocking which a washer cured it. Then they redesigned them and there was issues with the top nut if i remember correctly.

They mad have all been rectified now.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Did a few jobs yesterday but as always, it didn't all go to plan.

Got to work early and managed to get the car on the ramp.

37699840981_6f23d92809_z.jpg

First job was to fit the new PMS top mounts.

Shocks and old top mounts off

37441959920_f49560340e_z.jpg

37650805856_a7caf65c64_z.jpg

Took the coilover covers off and gave them a wash too.

37650800286_62123d52b8_z.jpg

When i called up Nick @ PMS i mentioned i had the B14 kit as i knew there was a difference between that and the standard ones. Its just a case of extra washers but i asked him if he could do me a quick drawing on the way they go on.

37650790106_7bcf8874dd_z.jpg

23846446798_b9ce108434_z.jpg

37650823496_f8932d3996_z.jpg

With the old mounts out, you can see how bad the previous holes are......

37699704011_7f701e2cec_z.jpg

37441972770_ef6e99026c_z.jpg

I added some locktight to the loading bolts and fitted them with the spreader plate. The bolts wont be going anywhere now.

37667229572_b69a6838bc_z.jpg

37029127633_c5cfc4fe83_z.jpg

37667178652_e0993989e6_z.jpg

@MrBlonde turned up and after a quick cuppa, we set to work removing the anti roll bar. Got that off and also the lower wishbone arms.

23846576458_a227a367c5_z.jpg

37650904476_0c14645930_z.jpg

37667340742_ebec8d1953_z.jpg

Im glad i bought both inner and outer bushes as my outer ones were buggered as well. Originally i was just going to buy inners.

36989392704_7d4e6ef7d0_z.jpg

Gave the anti roll bar a sand down and a quick coat of black paint. While that was drying we fitted the new bottom arms.

23846597578_4a3e49fb9f_z.jpg

36989417914_782d8b88f4_z.jpg

Next up was the brake fitting.

37442169710_e03dcd481c_z.jpg

Old knackered NSR

37442174530_b71e9a56e1_z.jpg

All fitted up.

23846667858_080a5f693c_z.jpg

37699891601_80dbbb966a_z.jpg

Fitted up the fronts also. Cleaned up the slider pins and fitted new rubbers. Ignore the back bits on the calipers, they are just dirt.

23846637998_0b7b2a8aed_z.jpg

37667412132_dd77a297c9_z.jpg

36989491544_eb777df182_z.jpg

Here's where we encountered a problem. We bled the brakes manually and had no pedal. Got rid of the air but still no pedal. So then we decided to scratch our heads, have another cuppa then fit the arb bushes and the roll bar back on. Got to say the inners were a pain, and after reading on tips on here, we did what others have done and added longer bolts. Bit of a bodge, but chances are there never getting worked on again so its a fit and forget job.

37442218660_f445466731_z.jpg

37651030726_c8113b8c88_z.jpg

36989574414_6206fd6525_z.jpg

37442229310_4a0d3ddc31_z.jpg

Then we shot to halfords as time was getting late and bought a Eezibleed kit. With trade discount it was only £10 so not a great deal of money. Didn't cure the brake issue unfortunately 😧

37699904961_c862b749e5_z.jpg

37650999066_518daaf20b_z.jpg

We think its the ABS thats doing it. Herad a few horror stories of these after a seach. Luckily @.Joe has one so after a call to him last night, he is politey coming to me today and hopefully pump the system with CLIP that he has. Im hoping thats the issue as we have no leaks anywhere else. I have brakes on the OSF/NSR but not on the other circuit.

So, achieved a few jobs which im happy about, just need to get the brakes sorted now. Once again, thanks to Steve @MrBlonde for your help yesterday.

On a side note, this genuine gear gaitor and surround turned up from @RichValver yesterday. My current one has the clips broken, so its a much need replacement :smile:

37442213570_6edfbf0561_z.jpg

So thats part 1, hopefully i can update with part 2 that's a complete job and all jobs fixed. We shall see......

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Looks great as always, look forward to seeing the brake update, hopefully all fixed :up: