ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Downgrading from Pure Motorsport Solid top mounts, to standard top mounts

205 GTI, Clio 182
Hey guys,

So I've run KW Variant 2's with Pure Motorsport top mounts. On track this setup is amazing. However due to a move, I'm now living in an inner city area with shitty (really bad) roads. Over lumpen surfaces, the noise and vibration is doing my head in. It really means you can't drive with any confidence, because you are being thrown all over the place and the wheel is vibrating in your hands.

Thinking moving back to the rubber mounts might help? Or do you think it's probably the coilovers fault too?

Where can I buy standard top mounts from anyway?

205 GTI, Clio 182
Standard top mounts will make a big difference, just fully soften the coilovers also which should help also.
An observation I've made is that it's not so much the damping, or spring rates that seem to affect the ride and noise (going full hard or full soft on the damping, changes nearly nothing). It seems to me that the surface of the road and the "ruttiness" of the road, makes the biggest difference. SOmtimes I'll be driving along and the ride will be amazing (even with bumps), until I hit a patch of road.

​I do run AD08's which have quite a stiff sidewall too.

172 Cup
I have the PMS mounts and brace with standard Cup suspension and dont think the ride comfort was compromised much at all compared to the standard mounts. I have an annoying squeak when going over bumps in the road but the ride comfort is pretty much the same.

205 GTI, Clio 182
I have the PMS mounts and brace with standard Cup suspension and dont think the ride comfort was compromised much at all compared to the standard mounts. I have an annoying squeak when going over bumps in the road but the ride comfort is pretty much the same.

​Hmm interesting.

02 Iceberg 172
I found no real difference in terms of ride comfort going from standard top mounts to my current Compbrake ones (yes I know there is not a lot of love for those here on CS lol). I am running Konis + Sportlines though...

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
I did the same. I was running AST top mounts for a couple of years and I thought they were great but got sick of the crashy ride on day to day running around Bristol (where the roads are absolute s***e) and having to have the tracking sorted all the time!!
I put new standard back on when I was doing a front end refresh and have never looked back to be honest.