ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Down because of a Clio.

172 CUP
i'm sorry but how the f**k are people getting quotes of £1600 for a 172 at 18 with 1 year no claim?

I'm 20 with 2 years no claims, do a quote for a 172 with my mum as a name driver and the cheapest i'm getting is £3000 and it doesn't even change if i put i'm 21 with 3 years no claim and i've done it with virtually every company possible, so either you lot are doing something dodgy with your quotes or insurance companies really dont want me to have a 172.

I could afford to pay £3000 a year for insurance, pay £4000 for the car and still have enough to run and repair it but theres no way in hell i'm paying £3K for insurance, if i got a quote for half of that then yea but just for the principle i'm not giving them 3K

M135i
I shat my pants when i first drove my 2.0l (19 at the time) and still s**t my pants now ive been driving it a few months, luckly i have a cool head and actually know my limits .... which is not much at my age. :)

2004 182FF
Lots of things will cause your quote to be more, postcode being one of them.

When my parents moved from Brighton to Cornwall (in the middle of nowhere, lowest crime rate on earth) their insurance dropped from £990 to £525. Everything identical just a different address.

Must be a postcode thing, Im 22, 3years ncb with me and my girlfriend on the policy (shes 22, 3yrs ncb) and thats £780 with bell on my 182 cup. I think Tunbridge Wells may be an 'A' rated postcode.

White clique
Some of these quotes are unbelievable, i thought i had it bad with my first car! £3k+ insurance for a 172/182 is just insane.

Clio Cup
I say uck em , Do it go get the car of your dreams , do a track day , some institute of advanced motoring courses , even a pass plus

You only live once , One day you will be married with kids have responsibilities and wake up one day and might have never had your Clio 1*2

Hell even worse you might get hit by a bus tommorow , if your working 60 hours a week to get what you want , dont spit it down the road behaving like a twonk , enjoy it , show it off to everyone as a result of you working hard

oh and you can get 172 cups for 3k

Giulietta 940
I'm 24 with 4 years NCB (points expired this year too) and I'm still getting quotes of £2k+...

On topic: wait a while longer until you can afford it properly. If you miss out on that one, I'm sure there'll be others around...

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I know it's along time ago this stated but mate that's problerly there price when you have L plates on! Once u pass it will shoot through the roof! I paid £1,800 my first year and £1,100 my second year and that was on a 1.2 and I did good getting it that low!

Clio 172
Bell with your parents on is cheap! Im 21 and pay 900 quid with both my parents on, i have 2 years no claims.

Thats on a 172

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I passed about a year ago now, Insurance premiums have just gone down and I currently have a bank with more than enough for a 182 ahah... Seen a few nice flamers with low mileage and I will be buying after Christmas. Untill then, my car is doing me perfectly fine, 133,000 on the clock and still has an immaculate 1.2 engine. Once I do get a clio it'll be a great example and it'll be my pride and joy, being 18 I still think it's too young to have a 172/182 but I'm a very keen car enthusiast and I do sign onto this forum everyday, getting ideas for my own clio when I get it. As so many people on this forum have said... Clio sports are great handling cars, probably the most fun you can get for so cheap as Jeremy Clarkson stated on Top Gear... So I just want to share the experience of having a great car, after all it's one of the joys of my life, also a career choice as well.

You should be thankful the insurance is so high. You should be restricted to a 1.0l until you pass your 3 year probation period.

I'm 24 with 4 years NCB (points expired this year too) and I'm still getting quotes of £2k+...

How?! im 24 with 3 years NCB and quotes on a 182 are about £780. Also points & claims expired this year.
You tired Bell, Admiral, Elephant ?
EDIT: Just noticed your location. You tried Chris Knott?

On topic for the OP though I'd have to say go the 1.2 or 1.4 route. My first car was a K plate 1.4 Astra shed and my insurance was £1300 fully comp! needless to say 6 months later I crashed it out of stupidity and driving like a P**** more than anything. I then had points and a claim so had to buy a cheaper car for cheaper insurance. got myself a 205 1.4 XS. actually much quicker than the Astra.

Had a few oh S*** moments in that and learned a lot about driving properly within my limits and the cars limits. I then got a 1.2 16v Clio on finance with my ex and luckily she took the car when we split up.

By this time i was 21 and had 1 years NCB still had points and a crash on my file. Anyways i brought myself the car i'd wanted since first passing my test which was a 205 Mi16 monster! very quick car with no modern driving aids. sold this early this year after 2 years of crash free enjoyable driving (wish i hadn't sold it now)

Now im looking to get a FF 182 with relatively cheap insurance :)

Moral of the story... start small.. learn YOUR limits and the cars limits and build your driving experience!

Last edited:
  Clio 200 cup
I'm 18 And I've just got a 182 ff with cup packs insurance was £2200 with 1 years no claims, I was the same as you my 1.2 was fine but I worked hard to afford one and tbh if I didn't get one now, I probably never would, I don't regret it at all Mate go for it!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
If you can justify affording it, why not? The insurance alone seems a waste to me personally but whatever floats your boat. Did that quote get confirmed btw?

Take it the OPs working silly hours to be able to put money aside for when he actually starts paying rent, wants a social life etc & is unable to continue working a 60 hour week at uni?

God I feel old. I was 21 when the 172 was launched......................

It does pay to be old though as I was insuring mines for £350 fully comp, all mods declared with the wife as a named driver.

Giulietta 940
How?! im 24 with 3 years NCB and quotes on a 182 are about £780. Also points & claims expired this year.
You tired Bell, Admiral, Elephant ?
EDIT: Just noticed your location. You tried Chris Knott?

At the moment my insurance with Admiral is £1k with my Dad and girlfriend on it too. It would've been a lot more, but I work and stay in Essex during the week, so I have the benefit of a "good postcode". I got a quote from Greenlight recently for £650 with no mods declared, so its a promising start.

How long does it take for a claim to "expire" for insurance purposes? Five years?

Edit: I'm 25 at the end of this year, so I presume that will help with insurance prices? Or so I've been told...

Last edited:
^^ not too bad then i suppose. my quote of £780 was with the missus on who is 21 with 2 years ncb (not that it counts)

you have to declare it for 5 but most insurance companies only will act on it upto 3 years from what i remember

yep im 25 end of jan so hopefully that will help too. although doing the same quote just changing a year on my age does bugger all!

Audi S1
I got a 172 at 18. I had it for 2 and a half years, not once did I crash it. People jump on the bangwagon because you're young. My advice is wait... but if you can afford it then why not, go for it... I did lol