ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Down because of a Clio.

My parents are all for it. They know how much of a capable driver I am for my age, Considering i've been driving since I was 13 on private land. Then i'm highly experienced for a 17 year old.
I just want a car I can get in and it'll put a smile on my face everytime I start it up. Seems like this is a good way to go. Perhaps i'll put off buying a 172 for a few months. See what happens.

Unless your private land has long flat straights, different corners and the general public on it, then it's nothing like what you'll get in the real world. To say that makes you experienced is so deluded it's unreal. I have good experience of COD, doesn't mean I'd be any good in a war.

Any car you get will put a smile on your face to start with. I had a 1.2 Clio and I loved that thing.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Unless your private land has long flat straights, different corners and the general public on it, then it's nothing like what you'll get in the real world. To say that makes you experienced is so deluded it's unreal. I have good experience of COD, doesn't mean I'd be any good in a war.

This

AG 200
The less the number of 17 year olds in high powered cars on the same roads as me the better. Sick of seeing the little sh!ts flying about with a car full of spotty mates thinking that they can drive, the green paint seems to attract all of them at the minute.
The main thing when your on the road (not in a field) is experience, the sort of experience that means you just 'know' when someone is about to cut you up.
Slight changes in another cars road position , speed , little glances in their mirrors all let you know something about to happen. With experience you hopefully avoid the idiots , with a high powered car at 17 and a full team of co-drivers in the back you will end up wrapped around a lamppost.
Dont do it!

I had a 1.2 clio dynamique for 5 years and loved every moment in it , it never skipped a beat. Then went to a 197 from that , I shat my pants for the first few months and that was after 7 years worth of driving.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
You're all going off like its a super car.

It's a clio with a 2.0 engine in it. It's not the fastest thing on the fvcking road.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Faster than a 1.2
So is a 1.4? I don't like how people are presuming he is going to wrap it around a tree just because of his age.

OP do what you want. if you can afford it and it's something that you want go for it. Personally I would wait, but a lot of members on here had 172's at 17.

ph2 iceburg 172
So is a 1.4? I don't like how people are presuming he is going to wrap it around a tree just because of his age.

OP do what you want. if you can afford it and it's something that you want go for it. Personally I would wait, but a lot of members on here had 172's at 17.

but the chances of him "wrapping it round a tree" is increased due to his reduced experience on the road, why do you think insurance premiums are so high for him compared to a 21-22 year old?
he started the op to find out people's opinions and experiences on the mater, and as you can see most people believe that it is not worth the amount of money he would put into a cliosport at 17, best just to wait a few years

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
but the chances of him "wrapping it round a tree" is increased due to his reduced experience on the road, why do you think insurance premiums are so high for him compared to a 21-22 year old?
he started the op to find out people's opinions and experiences on the mater, and as you can see most people believe that it is not worth the amount of money he would put into a cliosport at 17, best just to wait a few years
I'm not disputing the statistics, yes he's statistically more likely to bin it but that doesn't mean he will. Lewis Hamilton would have been statistically more likely to bin his car at 17 - I bet people wouldn't think twice about him flying around in a mclaren slr at 17.

I agree with your second point - It isn't worth the money it would cost at his age IMO. I paid 1800 on insurance on my 182 at 19, wish now i'd have waited a bit as my 1.2 was just as fun (in a different way). Now i'm approaching 21 insurance isn't really too bad.

DCi 100

Any car you get will put a smile on your face to start with. I had a 1.2 Clio and I loved that thing.

This!

That tighten in the bend, the slight bump to set off the weight and that greasey patch on the roundabout are all surprising. :)

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member

It's a clio with a 2.0 engine in it. It's not the fastest thing on the fvcking road.

Exactly!!!! I dont underatand how people could s**t them selves when they first drive one hahahaaa! You get in drive and think, yea this has got some power to it...u do not s**t urself!
Redtop corsa 350bhp is the kind of hothatch you get in and could say you s**t urself not a clio

320d

+1 if anything they're easier to drive than a 1.2. They go round corners better, stop better etc. The power delivery is very linear too which makes them easy to drive its not like you've got a dustbin lid sized turbo boosting suddenly at 3.5K rpm.

DCi 100
+1 if anything they're easier to drive than a 1.2. They go round corners better, stop better etc. The power delivery is very linear too which makes them easy to drive its not like you've got a dustbin lid sized turbo boosting suddenly at 3.5K rpm.

But IMO they have a certain bite to them. I think my 1.2 is s**t but really what I've learnt in the past year it was well worth it. Floor it on a corner and even that has enought power to drive too fast with, just not enought to pull out onto straights with much effect.

Mk5 golf gti
some people talk some rubbish on here

anyway i got my first clio 172 at 17 then i got a 182 at 18 then back on a 172 at 22

get whatever you please, id never change the route i went down to owning a RS

Low!
I thought that I wanted a fast car at 17 but was not able to afford anything due to insurance. The fastest thing I have driven was 100BHP. I fear if I had anything faster I would be dead right now.

DB.

BMW 440i
So many people being over the top here!

It is quick, but it's no Bugatti Veyron! Anyone with half a brain knows that with a new car, you only take it step by step to see how the power is, you don't just go flat out the day you get it! You need to learn the car, rather than experiment with it! I know a few 17year olds who have had Mini Cooper S's and a 206 Gti180 and none of them are dead or even crashed! One had a bump at less than 10mph, and iirc, a 1.2 can do 10mph!

Lol @ the young ones sticking up for him.

Insurance is expensive at a young age for a reason. Whether he can handle the speed is a moot point, the money is excessive and not really worth it.

DB.

BMW 440i
Lol @ the young ones sticking up for him.

Insurance is expensive at a young age for a reason. Whether he can handle the speed is a moot point, the money is excessive and not really worth it.

Someone has to ;)

I just think for all the young idiots out there that to drive like pillocks, then it's their loss, but there are alot of people who can be sensible and handle the power of reasonably quick cars! I saw a 25yr old chav earlier ragging the hell out of his Golf Gti, putting not only himself, but a load of others in danger. I agree that younger drivers are more likely to dick about, but you can't tarnish everyone with the same brush!

For it's size it's a powerful car.

This isn't to say you're going to smash it into a wall or tree. You, your judgement and general common sense, or lack of, will be what writes it off.

I've friends that have spun off roads into fields, changed up a gear when blasting it round a round about lost traction and totalled a lamp post. I myself have mis judged my speed in a 1.4 corsa being chased down some lanes I didn't know by my friend in his mini and we both skidded into a field, luckily unhurt. Inexperience/being a total idiot caused all of these.

I remember I wanted a VTR/VTS so badly instead of my Corsa and I'm very glad I didn't buy one and waited to get my 182 as I have the experience not to wreck it and also a much better car.

I deffinatley agree that you'll develop the skill to be able to tell when someone is going to drift lanes on a round about, spot who isn't paying attention and to generally expect the unexpected.

If you can realistically afford the premium and still afford to have a life after that then if you want it go for it. The majority of 17 year olds are immature speed freaks which gives the minority who aren't the same branding.

Just be careful or you'll end up regretting even higher premiums for the next 5 years and who ever else you may potentially hurt.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
well thank you all for your responces be it possitive or negative.

I've come to the conclusion that I will be buying a 172 when I next get paid, i'll be looking for a flamer perferabaly. I know what to look for when buying second hand cars and I'm sure I can find that perfect car, I wont rush about trying to get one, i'll wait untill the right one comes along. I've got 12 months MOT on my car now so if all else fails on the look for a Clio I can still drive that.

This is probably one of the most active forums i've ever been on. It's insane with the amount of replys I've had in like a day. First thing i'll do when I get my 172 is to become a member on here. Seems like a very worth while thing to do.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
if you want a 172, get one. i have a friend with one and he loves it. i managed to wrap a 1.0 corsa up within my first month of driving, now ive got a 1.2 dynamique. yet he's never even kerbed his car. just goes to show engine size doesnt really matter

Not a 320d
If you think you can fork out 200 quid for a pair of tyres one month when you need them, and f**k knows about any other hidden costs.

As said previously, f**king go for it if you want one that bad. You clearly think you can handle owning one. I could have got a 182, or a 197 even and used the extra money to insure it for a year or 2 as i paid cash for my lowly GT. But i didnt, as i dont want to pay 150 quid a month for insurance. From the 500 quid i earn every month, 250 dissappears immediately, fone contract, rent, insurance, monthly payment to cover tax when i need to renew this year so i dont have to pull 150 quid out my ass, i spend about 200 quid on fuel a month, leaving me with 50 quid to play about with each month now. Could i f**k afford to run a renaultsport, insurance is far higher than im willing to pay.

But like i said. Go for it. LOL at Revels post regarding the Sweedish girls. Exactly true.

I have a mate whos 19 and running an 07 650i, he doesnt pay insurance, but he pays for all the fuel, tax etc, and it f**king kills him. He hates it, and resents getting the thing.

I reckon a 17 year old can handle a 172. Any car can be crashed, no matter what the engine size is all cars nowadays can pickup speed at a decent rate. If he was gonna crash he would have done it already lol.

What i wanna know is what company did you get that quote from and when did you get that quote? I remember getting a quote for 1900 without really looking and that was on a price comparison site, that was about 8months ago. By the time i saved up for a clio RS , insurance had gone through the roof! Almost as if all insurance companies had blacklisted Clio RS's.. Cheapest quote I got on a price comparison site recently was 2800 TPFT. After ringing loads of companies and scouring forums, the cheapest quote i managed was 2350 TPFT. Which i was NOT going to pay. And trust me i tried all the tricks in the book, but couldnt get any cheaper :(

Im 19 with 1 years no claims, also live in a very, very low risk area. Im starting to think all these young drivers with with 1*2's lie about there insurance prices xD

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Just do it lad. Forget the jealous comments from people that pay over 2k for 1.2s. I had to pay £1600 for insurance on a 1.4 Rover when I was 17.

Mini Cooper S sport
I reckon a 17 year old can handle a 172. Any car can be crashed, no matter what the engine size is all cars nowadays can pickup speed at a decent rate. If he was gonna crash he would have done it already lol.

I don't agree. If you're driving a 1.0 litre car that does 0-60 in ten minutes, you're going to be far less inclined to put your foot down or show off because you know it's gutless. With a 172/182 there's more temptation to see what it can do. Insurance companies seem to feel the same.

IMO of course.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I don't agree. If you're driving a 1.0 litre car that does 0-60 in ten minutes, you're going to be far less inclined to put your foot down or show off because you know it's gutless. With a 172/182 there's more temptation to see what it can do. Insurance companies seem to feel the same.

IMO of course.

I fully agree with him... Most of my friends have already crashed. Some of them multiple times. :(
As I said in a post before hand, i'm a sensible driver.
I think if I were ever to "want to know what the car can do" I'd find a runway or a race track atleast that way its moderatly safe.
my car does 0-60 in about 11 seconds, RAPID is what it is :p

I've just found out that my old school mate (who is 17 also) has been driving a phase 1 172 for 8 months now... So if I drive sensibly... really shouldn't be a problem.

Z4
The whole insurance game is so ridiculous..

I've just bought a new car and the missus wants to buy my TT when she passes her test, I said she'd never get insured...
she got a quote fully comp (all fully legit, no fronting etc) for £1300! I couldn't believe it. I see lads paying more than that for saxos and fezzas!

Z4
I fully agree with him... Most of my friends have already crashed. Some of them multiple times. :(
I think if I were ever to "want to know what the car can do" I'd find a runway or a race track atleast that way its moderatly safe.

I've just found out that my old school mate (who is 17 also) has been driving a phase 1 172 for 8 months now... So if I drive sensibly... really shouldn't be a problem.

Appologies for not reading the whole thread, but if you'd only 'test the car out' on a runway/racetrack, why do you want a 172/182?!
You don't save all your pennies and skint yourself out for that do you...you have some fun on the roads as that's what the car was intended to do!

Personally I think the rs clios are too much for a 17yo, just wait a little, you'll appreciate it more, believe me.

My car line up:
Age 17: 1.0 k10 micra
Age 18: Rover 25 1.4 (made into a zr, which at the time were cool! I thought..lol)
Age 20 I had a clio 172 cup
Age 22 a 280bhp audi tt
Present day, age 23 I've got an e46 M3

I've had fun in each and every car, if you were to go straight in at the deep end with an RS clio you'd find it very hard what to get next!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Appologies for not reading the whole thread, but if you'd only 'test the car out' on a runway/racetrack, why do you want a 172/182?!
You don't save all your pennies and skint yourself out for that do you...you have some fun on the roads as that's what the car was intended to do!

Personally I think the rs clios are too much for a 17yo, just wait a little, you'll appreciate it more, believe me.

My car line up:
Age 17: 1.0 k10 micra
Age 18: Rover 25 1.4 (made into a zr, which at the time were cool! I thought..lol)
Age 20 I had a clio 172 cup
Age 22 a 280bhp audi tt
Present day, age 23 I've got an e46 M3

I've had fun in each and every car, if you were to go straight in at the deep end with an RS clio you'd find it very hard what to get next!

One word for you... DAMN, good car collection!
I think I would find it really hard to find a next car... And this is probably my one massive reason why im getting one. I dont think I could ever get bored with one of them. It would put a smile on my face all the time and I think gaining my NCB on a car that i'll never get bored with is a great step to make. That way I can keep the clio and cherish it for a good few years as I finish college and go off to Uni, then after i've finished Uni I can step it up a little bit. (if thats possible) ;)

ds3
which company did that quote come from? i got quoted 1700 fully comp on a 172 in my own name 3 months after passing my test on admiral. being female probably aided that somewhat. i've got a 1.2 and as much as i want a rs, i'm waiting a few years because i don't want to be paying that much for insurance and i don't think i'd be able to run it.

Mini Cooper S sport

I didn't suggest you weren't a sensible driver, I'm just saying with more power under your right foot, there's more temptation.

Not true IMO, it is a lot easier to stack a 172 than it would be in a 1.2.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having the car you want at a young age. I had my 1.2 at 17, a 172 at 18 and now have a 200 at 19 years old and have never even so much as scraped one against a bollard. Just make sure you can 100% trust yourself not to be a tw*t with it, I've seen countless examples of people buying fast cars thinking they can handle them and then ending up in a load of debt because they write them off and the insurance doesn't cover the money they owe on it.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Not true IMO, it is a lot easier to stack a 172 than it would be in a 1.2.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having the car you want at a young age. I had my 1.2 at 17, a 172 at 18 and now have a 200 at 19 years old and have never even so much as scraped one against a bollard. Just make sure you can 100% trust yourself not to be a tw*t with it, I've seen countless examples of people buying fast cars thinking they can handle them and then ending up in a load of debt because they write them off and the insurance doesn't cover the money they owe on it.

Exactly, do you ever get the feeling that you care for your cars more because they mean so much to you?
I once read up on a moddified insurance website that the amount of people making claims because they had crashed their car were alot lower than average cars because they took more care in there cars as though they were their pride and joy. (i really should learn my there their etc.) :|

@ LY - I understand what you mean, I think I can trust myself with a more powerful car.
@ Blondie - Thats not a bad quote. :) Just give it a while if you don't want to pay that much for insurance, But strangely enough I want to pay that much :(

Yeah maybe it might be more tempting in a clio 172. BUT any car nowadays will feel quick to a 17 year old, so the majority will cain the arse of their 1.0's lol My friends 1.2 16v clio was absolutely AMAZING fun to me and my friend when we were 17 :D.. It really depends on the person really and how sensible they are though. But there are plenty of 17 year olds out there that know when to let off the accelerator. I dont like to blow my own trumpet or anything but I knew exactly what my cars limit was when i was 17 and i never put myself or anyone else in danger. Came close to having a few low speed crashes lol, but that was from being a dope, and getting distracted by either nice cars or nice looking females in the summer xD

Im 19 now and i drive a C2 VTS which i LOVE, to me it feels like an absolute rocket because ive never driven or been in anything faster. I'll be honest, i do rag its tits off when i can, but only when its suitable.

Barge
Why can't younguns just aspire to having a more powerful car when they've got a few years of driving under their belts? I had my 1.2 for 4 years (17 to 21), then moved up to a 197 - and I'm pleased I did because I appreciated it much more when I got it and I was earning substantially more to be able to afford to run it. As others have said it isn't just the running of the car to think about, e.g. tax, insurance, petrol. What about if something goes tits up? You need new tyres? MOT, etc. There's a lot that goes into car ownership - and yes, a lot of those costs are still there whatever car you drive... But you'll save yourself loads on tax and insurance, and petrol with a 1.2, etc. in those first few years which will all help with saving for when you would be more suited to having a sport.

I doubt I'd ever be able to go back to a 1.2, etc. but what you've never had you wouldn't miss. When I first got the 197 I pushed it and enjoyed it for around two months, after that I soon got bored with playing that game.

What you do is your choice, but I feel you'd just be crippling yourself financially at such a young age when you should be out with your mates having a good few teenage years and holidays, etc.

Fiesta STripes
At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Do what YOU want to do.

If you don't drive like a dick, you'll be ok. If you let hormones run your car then you won't ;)

Simples :)

Clio 182
Havn't read all the posts but i'd say only having 3/4 of the money for the car is a bad idea... I'd start with a smaller engined car which is cheap to run, tax, insure (wont be cheap but cheaper...) and then work your way up.

If you buy a car bang on your budget you wont have any spare money incase any problems arise which to be fair could happen to a car with 1 mile or 100k on!