ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Down because of a Clio.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Don't be a f**king idiot. If you can barely afford the car, you'll get bum raped when things go wrong.

None
To be honest mate you would be better off with a 1.4 sport model at your age, no matter how good you think you might be now it's a different matter when you realize too late that you have entered a corner too quick because of your lack of experience.

My 29 year old brother has a 1.4 sport model and he's more than happy with it, he sits as a passenger in mine everyday to work but has no desire to own one, mine is much quicker granted but unless you are a traffic light racer you won't notice it much, especially not at your age.

Jap Shed
Dude dont. I just had reliable old jap stuff from whan i passed my test, and up till 25. Gives you more oppertunity to think about career and where to live
Uni or whatever.

Then when your 25+ get a nice car AND be able to run it.

The end.

Bux

Golf GTD
If you can't afford it then don't get it. Id recommend something smaller like a 1.4 for a couple years. I'm 19 and been driving a 1.2 since i was 17, looking at getting a 197 in December though as insurance is £1400, which I can afford.

I agree. A 17 behind the wheel of one of these is a bad idea. You need a few 'oh s**t' moments going slow before you know how to deal an 'oh s**t' moment going fast :D

^That, much easier to manage getting it a bit wrong in a 1.2 Clio, do it in a 172 and it will just put you in a hedge.

Never forget the first time I took my 172 through second gear on full chat for the first time after 2 years in a 1.2, scared the crap out of me lol

Mini Cooper S
f**k knows how you got it as cheap as that, but id jump straight on that.

I was paying that when I was 19 with a Trophy under my belt

Don't do it.

Look at these scenarios..

Your mates - Yo, Rawb. We're down the pub. The Swedish U19 Beach Volleyball have just come in. They're doing shots out of each others bras. Come down mate.

A) Nah, I can't mate. I just had to service the Clio and it's costing me a fortune in fuel. Plus I have to be up at 3am to do another 92hr hour week so I can buy tax.

B) Yeah, no probs. I'm on my way. I just filled my 1.2 so I can drive them to Sweden and back in one tank and I can afford to buy them more vodka than they can handle so they'll definitely put out!! Woooop!11!!!1one

Far more to life than cars.

There's actually not much difference in fuel costs running a 1.2 Clio to a 172, but everything else is a lot more expensive, so if it breaks you're fooked. Which it will because it's French. So yeah, wait until you have more cash.

Yozz'd up 182
Depends what kind of person you are i think.

Im 19 and paying around that for my 182 insurance.

I brought a Cat D because il just run it until it breaks and if i bin it its not as big loss. so resale isnt an issue.

Im not a big drinker and i like my cars so thats where my money goes.

If you are very socialable and outgoing person id think twice, as the running costs are that little big more as are repair bills when things go wrong.

Why not go inbetween like a a VTR/VTS?

Get something a bit slower as your first car.

The RS Clios aren't exactly supercars but it's very easy to get yourself in some trouble on the roads. I remember what I was like at 17 - drove like an absolute dick. You really do learn by experience.

My first car was a 1.6 Fiesta Zetec-S (Mk5). had something like 103bhp and I still think it was too quick for a first car. Had a few interesting moments but luckily never stacked it.

Plus like everyone else has said you need to consider running costs/insurance etc too.

Silver 182
I reckon save for the next four years, until your 21, insurance will come right down, and you can get a 197/200 that's a few years old.

Stan

4 years no claims, 23 yrs old insurance still 770quid! Aint cheap to have.

So as other said! Sorry mate, most high street insurers wont even bother with you cos you are 17!

When i was 17, we had a seat leon cupra r.. 225bhp, 18inch alloys standard, turbo. The only insurance quote that i managed to find without making phone calls to private insurers was 8650 quid. So i would pop a wild guess that your insurance on 182 would be as much as the car would cost if not more.

Mk2 Clio dci
If you want the car the go for it. You'll learn after either the easy way or hard way whether you can afford to keep it running.
People saying the insurance isn't accurate should shop around. I'm a 21yo with 0 no claims bonus and a DR10 and a 182 to insure with admiral is £1100. My twingo RS is costing me £829.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
To the OP.

Car in the ad looks nice but its alot of money for 91k mile private sale. i got mine for 2900, a 53 plate with 80k from a dealer including warranty. So wouldn't go above 3k, then you're only 500 off!

When i was 18 i had an RS Turbo and insurance was crazy but you only live once! Just be careful in it as statistically, young drivers have the worst accidents and with a fast car it just increases the chances!

Young drivers are prone to accidents, I'm quite a cautious driver and I rarely drive irresponsibly. Exactly my point though, you only live once and at the moment my car is everything to me, education is comfortable and i'll be going to Uni in a year. Got everything planned out.

Lol, i remember being 17, 18 and wanting a 172. Was in the same position working my ass of to save for one. Then i woke up and relised that, if I owned a 172 at that age, i would be skint. No going out on the lash 2-3 times a week, and generally spending money on alcohol.

Been driving for 4 and a half years now, and ive only just managed to make it to a 1.6 GT. Would I f**k want to run a 2Ltr, im at uni and work 20 hours a week, IMO, there are more important things in lfie than a clio 172, and im hoping uni will pay off so i can buy something a bit nicer than a Clio.

If your not sure if you can afford it or not, then you cant.

Im 21.

Fortunately, i have access, fully insured, to cars with much more power. 07 BMW 650i, 07 BMW 335i and a 12 year old 535i on coilovers and good tyres (which my GT can keep up with no problem on Backroads) and more. I always think my 1.6 is more fun though :)

Alchol at 17... Think you haven't quite understood a part of this ;) Little cars are the best, I don't ever think i'll own a family car even if I have a family. :(

Your parents want f**king in the ass.

There is no way on this earth i'd let my 17 year old son loose in a 172. I'm 30 and still do stupid things in them because £ for £ they do silly speeds.

Wise up and get a 1400cc.

My parents are all for it. They know how much of a capable driver I am for my age, Considering i've been driving since I was 13 on private land. Then i'm highly experienced for a 17 year old.
I just want a car I can get in and it'll put a smile on my face everytime I start it up. Seems like this is a good way to go. Perhaps i'll put off buying a 172 for a few months. See what happens.

Don't do it.

Your mates - Yo, Rawb. We're down the pub. The Swedish U19 Beach Volleyball have just come in. They're doing shots out of each others bras. Come down mate.

A) Nah, I can't mate. I just had to service the Clio and it's costing me a fortune in fuel. Plus I have to be up at 3am to do another 92hr hour week so I can buy tax.

B) Yeah, no probs. I'm on my way. I just filled my 1.2 so I can drive them to Sweden and back in one tank and I can afford to buy them more vodka than they can handle so they'll definitely put out!! Woooop!11!!!1one

Only thing about that is ive been in a relationship for 2 years and im not that reckless. But I do see where your coming from, you have a very good point.
I'm getting 45mpg out of my 1.2 Punto atm, These 172 do 30mpg easily?

Depends what kind of person you are i think.

Im 19 and paying around that for my 182 insurance.

I brought a Cat D because il just run it until it breaks and if i bin it its not as big loss. so resale isnt an issue.

Im not a big drinker and i like my cars so thats where my money goes.

If you are very socialable and outgoing person id think twice, as the running costs are that little big more as are repair bills when things go wrong.

Why not go inbetween like a a VTR/VTS?

VTR/VTS - Insurance totaly sits on me for quotes from Saxo's mainly because the crash rate of teenagers in those are probably the highest numbers out of all other cars. Plus im not one for fitting into the crowd. Saxos are far too common.

If you want the car the go for it. You'll learn after either the easy way or hard way whether you can afford to keep it running.
People saying the insurance isn't accurate should shop around. I'm a 21yo with 0 no claims bonus and a DR10 and a 182 to insure with admiral is £1100. My twingo RS is costing me £829.

I think i'll leave off for a few months.

I'd like to thank all of you for your imput and for your time. Been very useful. All im going to say is... I will own one!
When the insurance quote came through I almost had a heart attack at the thought of driving something like this...

I went for a spirited drive in my car today... Managed to make me scared once or twice. So I think more experience is needed. Time will tell.

Thanks again.

Stagecoach Ticket
Don't do it.

HERO! how i see life if only fosters would do the same account deals as snap on :(

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
i'm highly experienced for a 17 year old.

For a start i think every single 17yr old thats ever passed there test has said this.

I have a mate whos been driving since he was 7(farm boy) hes had more crashes than i can count but still thinks hes the next lewis hamiliton. I got my 172 a month before my 18th bday iv owned it for over a year and now selling it due to insurance costs being stupid. I have managed to run one being jobless for 3months and not come close to crashing it or doing something stupid in it. Also if your doing 60hour shifts a week and still cant save over 3k you must be on £1 an hour. I saved up for my 172 within 2 months.

But at the end of the day your money you buy what you want, running costs arnt to bad petrol is okay but not brilliant some parts are expensive but what costs the most is labour as the engine bays are too small so takes ages to work on meaning high labour costs.

Goodluck just dont increase our insurance premiers if you crash lol

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
For a start i think every single 17yr old thats ever passed there test has said this.

I have a mate whos been driving since he was 7(farm boy) hes had more crashes than i can count but still thinks hes the next lewis hamiliton. I got my 172 a month before my 18th bday iv owned it for over a year and now selling it due to insurance costs being stupid. I have managed to run one being jobless for 3months and not come close to crashing it or doing something stupid in it. Also if your doing 60hour shifts a week and still cant save over 3k you must be on £1 an hour. I saved up for my 172 within 2 months.

But at the end of the day your money you buy what you want, running costs arnt to bad petrol is okay but not brilliant some parts are expensive but what costs the most is labour as the engine bays are too small so takes ages to work on meaning high labour costs.

Goodluck just dont increase our insurance premiers if you crash lol

Exactly, so you've just proven that a 172 can be owned by a 17 year old and not totaly wrecked in a ditch somewhere.

£4.65 an hour atm :( Unfortunatly. Getting a rise come September to £6.60

"i have done 60 hour shifts" im back to doing 39's now though. Then cutting down to 20 hour shifts come 6th September.

I'll have an income of about £800.00/month. That should run a 172 easily?! Plus I dont have to pay rent untill im 19. So thats me saving £280/month.
I will be owning a 172/182, perfer a 182. Depends how much I get saved up.

The only reason I can't afford a 172 atm is because I spent £600 on a top of the range computer that I built myself and a second hand Nikon DSLR.
Just spent £400 getting my Punto MOT ready. So thats still useable for another year, I'll have to think about it all. :p

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Yer you can easily run a 172 on 800 month but i would say 98.9% of 17yr olds cant own one as they would crash it. I dont no how you drive so cant say but if u do get one be careful and save like mad.

Just think do you want to be spending all your money and time on a item that gets you from 1 point to another. If so have fun owning one mate they are mint cars.

Megane 225 F1
This isn't a thread about insurance. It's a thread trying to make Jon_R feel sorry for him and lower the price ;)

phase 2 172
I was going to mention this. There's not a cat in hells my parents have let me have a 172 at 17 either, and for good reason. If you don't crash you'll just get banned for speeding and tarnish your licence keeping your insurance high for years. Do your stint in a 1.2 for few years, make mistakes, drive in the snow and ice etc.
lol at 17 you have to ask mum and dad what car you can have?.daddy please please can i buy my self a 172.wow

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yer you can easily run a 172 on 800 month but i would say 98.9% of 17yr olds cant own one as they would crash it. I dont no how you drive so cant say but if u do get one be careful and save like mad.

Just think do you want to be spending all your money and time on a item that gets you from 1 point to another. If so have fun owning one mate they are mint cars.

For the time being before I have to fork out for a mortage.. Yes :) Im sure i'll love it from the second I sit in one :D
This isn't a thread about insurance. It's a thread trying to make Jon_R feel sorry for him and lower the price ;)
^ If you could ;)

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
lol at 17 you have to ask mum and dad what car you can have?.daddy please please can i buy my self a 172.wow

Well it's not like I have to ask, but if I said I was going to buy one they'd have something to say about it. While I was under their roof they could pretty much tell me what to do or I could leave.

Rusty Cup
If you want to do it then do it... my friend had to have the fastest car as a youngen n had a rover with 250bhp as his first car, everyone was well jealous but he was crippled be running costs. I dont think you will find many 25+ year olds telling you to go for it but that wont/shouldnt stop you wanting to get a nice car, i wanted a cliosport for atleast 8 years and to be honest as good as they are owning one wont be quite what you think it will be. If you want a "fast" car i'd look at diahatsu charade gtti (if you can find one lol) or toyota starlet turbo.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member

If you want to do it then do it... my friend had to have the fastest car as a youngen n had a rover with 250bhp as his first car, everyone was well jealous but he was crippled be running costs. I dont think you will find many 25+ year olds telling you to go for it but that wont/shouldnt stop you wanting to get a nice car, i wanted a cliosport for atleast 8 years and to be honest as good as they are owning one wont be quite what you think it will be. If you want a "fast" car i'd look at diahatsu charade gtti (if you can find one lol) or toyota starlet turbo.

Already had a look at a Starlet... Not my cup of tea. Aparantly they handle like a dogs dinner.
I'm not after a fast car as such. Just one with a lot of presence if you get what I mean?

Ph 1 172
just get the f**king thing if you can afford it. doesn't matter if your 17 or not!! dont drive like a tosser and you will be fine. I dont understand the whole your 17 you shouldnt get one, how many cups/172 are wrecked every winter from people 21 and over??

If i could have had a sport at 17 and insured i would, I wanted it more for the looks and the "extras" than the speed but ....

I think if i had a 2L engine under my feet a few times i would have had a few arse out moments, You need a lower engined car to learn your tolerance's, But im saying that now after 2½ years of driving and wouldn't have at 17...

Now at 20 and soon to be 3 years ncb... Im looking...

Im still wondering if i want a hot hatch or a comfortable german car

Fingers crossed for a low insurance quote in december !

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Whats with all the running cost coments? Everyone allways seems to compare the costs to 1.0 bangers! Its only a clio sport, thers plenty other cars that would have higher running costs?
Yea you have the belts... Every 5 years, not exactly every year is it
Then what else, service... Doesnt reli cost any different to a "normal" car
Discs, pads.... Not exactly going to breakthe bank is it, say 200 all round
Tyres...depends what you want
Ive had mine 2 year and havnt needed to spent no more than what i did when i had my 1.2
And about crashing, dont drive like a tit, simple as that!
Keep working hard mate, get one, then post in the "how old are ypu and what do you drive bla bla bla" thread saying ur probs the youngest rs owner on here

^ To me i only see insurance and tax as the rising factors. Servicing seems to go up a bit i.e. cambelt but there we go... Interested to see if fuel actually rockets going to a 2.0? or is it only slightly higher unless the foot hits the floor?

DB.

BMW 440i
I don't drive my car slow by any means but have seen an average of 30mpg over the past two months with most of that driving around Bham and no motorway driving. Very good on fuel if you ask me! :)

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Agree, if you dont drive silly and have ur footdown all the time you get decent mpg, i was in a mates new shape clio 1.2 and his mpg was 34...

Young drivers are prone to accidents, I'm quite a cautious driver and I rarely drive irresponsibly. Exactly my point though, you only live once and at the moment my car is everything to me, education is comfortable and i'll be going to Uni in a year. Got everything planned out.

Alchol at 17... Think you haven't quite understood a part of this ;) Little cars are the best, I don't ever think i'll own a family car even if I have a family. :(

My parents are all for it. They know how much of a capable driver I am for my age, Considering i've been driving since I was 13 on private land. Then i'm highly experienced for a 17 year old.
I just want a car I can get in and it'll put a smile on my face everytime I start it up. Seems like this is a good way to go. Perhaps i'll put off buying a 172 for a few months. See what happens.

Only thing about that is ive been in a relationship for 2 years and im not that reckless. But I do see where your coming from, you have a very good point.
I'm getting 45mpg out of my 1.2 Punto atm, These 172 do 30mpg easily?

VTR/VTS - Insurance totaly sits on me for quotes from Saxo's mainly because the crash rate of teenagers in those are probably the highest numbers out of all other cars. Plus im not one for fitting into the crowd. Saxos are far too common.

I think i'll leave off for a few months.

I'd like to thank all of you for your imput and for your time. Been very useful. All im going to say is... I will own one!
When the insurance quote came through I almost had a heart attack at the thought of driving something like this...

I went for a spirited drive in my car today... Managed to make me scared once or twice. So I think more experience is needed. Time will tell.

Thanks again.

This quote sums the thread up. 17 and has an answer for everything...

f**k getting a 172 at 17 invest your cash into chasing girls and learning to drink like a man.

Good luck on seeing your 21st birthday if you get one.

I crashed my first car (1.6 clio) whern I was 17. They fill you with confidence and then when they let go your fucked. You definately need to get used to driving before you get something that will only loose traction at high speed. Ive been driving a year now and I know what I would have done differently on that corner, and Ill probably have a different idea of how I should of taken it in 5 /10/15 years time. You might not be as lucky as me... 1.25 fiesta ftw.

Fiesta ST2
I had a 1.2 Mk2 Clio never crashed it.. I moved to a 1.2 TCE and binned it.. year and a bit later I got my 197 I'm now 22 and next month 23 and have slowed down.. its too easy to bin such a nice car. No one on here is going to change your mind about what car you get but at least listen to them you don't need to go straight to a 2.0 the running costs are shocking!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I had a 1.2 Mk2 Clio never crashed it.. I moved to a 1.2 TCE and binned it.. year and a bit later I got my 197 I'm now 22 and next month 23 and have slowed down.. its too easy to bin such a nice car. No one on here is going to change your mind about what car you get but at least listen to them you don't need to go straight to a 2.0 the running costs are shocking!
What running costs?

ph2 iceburg 172
i was in the same boat as you, dying to get a sport (at 18 though), everyone told me i should wait til im abit older, but i didnt listen. saved my own money up and bought one. first couple of weeks/ months it felt amazing, have such power at your feet (compaired to the corsa, micra,fiesta type cars i had drivien before). very quickly though i got used to the power, payin £190 a month on insurance, working most days thinking "this is just going straight into running the car!" and thinking at the end of the day it is still a clio, it still rattles, it still falls apart, and to anyone tha doent know cars will just think "its a clio". i really wish i had waited for a year or two. they are fun, but for the amount of money you would through at a 172 when your 17 would feel like abit of a waste. get something fun with a smaller engine (like a 1.6) get used to driving, braking/fixing a car before you take the plunge and get a powerful car

Mini Cooper S sport
This quote sums the thread up. 17 and has an answer for everything...

f**k getting a 172 at 17 invest your cash into chasing girls and learning to drink like a man.

Good luck on seeing your 21st birthday if you get one.

Ouch!