ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dont know much about engines but...

Can i 1.2 be 'bored out' to 1598cc. Guy i was speaking to reckoned he could do it for around £1200. If this is possible(and would would i need/cost?), What other mods can be done from there??? Superchip, ECU remap etc?

i cant see the diddy 1.2 lump being bored out by 400cc, could be wrong though...id expect it to go to around 1300-1400cc.
If you got it bored you would probably need it remapping for the fueling or it probably wont run right.
Best thing to do is get a cam(s) in and a map

He mentioned new cams and pistons! He's a bit of a whizz and is just starting his own tuning place! Was wundering, could be er... interesting!!!!

1998 BMW e46 323i
why not just buy a bigger engine 172 engines are cheaper than 1200 big boys, as long as all the ancillaries and ECU came with it you'd be alright wouldn't you?

Would you really be able to buy and fit a 172 engine for £1200? Would you not need new breaks and new gearbox aswell?

Not been sarcastic, i really dont know!

CDMullins said:
Can i 1.2 be 'bored out' to 1598cc. Guy i was speaking to reckoned he could do it for around £1200. If this is possible(and would would i need/cost?), What other mods can be done from there??? Superchip, ECU remap etc?

Well, you're thinking about other mods too, remaps, TBs, cams etc ain't cheap. At least with the F4R conversion, you get decent power out the box.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
nope, dont thinkso

no doubt it could be managed by boring the block, and increased the stoke somehow aswell - not cost effective though!

For £1200, i'd be saving another £300 and going for a 172 conversion

"At least with the F4R conversion, you get decent power out the box." Gobbledegoog to me mate!!!!

The £1200 is with everything, Cams, pistons 'boring' and fitting!

Lionel Richie
no point, i think j3ned does the conversion "kit" (not fitted) for £1500+vat

thats for a 172 conversion

even if you started with a 1.6 as a base engine, you'd have to spend at least £3K to get it to the same power as the 172 lump

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
This may have been summed up before (Fred?) but you start with what, 75bhp, yuou spend £1200 notes having the engine modded to within a mm of its life, literally and you achieve 110bhp. Maybe. An F4R 172 is rated at 172 PS which equates to roughly 169bhp. I reckon you could pick an engine up and do the conversion yourself, maybe with the help of a friend or 2 for £1500 notes and you would destroy the 1.2 engined mod monster.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-...578280729QQcategoryZ10410QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Not quite like a jigsaw. I have never done a Clio but have managed a Vauxhalls. You said you mate was a bit a whizz. Tell him to keep a weekend free, buy him a crate and away you go. Job done.

You won't get the engine bored out for £1.2k with all the bits for a few reasons.
1) The block wouldn't survive that much bigger.
The pistons you'd need would be so big and heavy you'd have to limit rpm so much so that you won't get much ectra power.
J3neds £1.5k+ vat 172 conversion includes everything you need engine gearbox ecu suspension brakes keys dashboard radiator etc. You'll just have to have the relevent throtle body cable/wire done (depending on you car / the transplant cars throttle) and swop the bits over it just will take some time to swop it all over.

hiya chris, think a conversion is a good idea when youve got some spare cash. Maybe not a 172 engine though, why not try something different (maybe even from another car manufacturer). Know a fella with a lovely calibra engine he'd love to get rid of ;)

id go with a different engine instead of spending tht on it buts all upto you in the end, much easier to modify current engine than to get a newer engine but there is more of a future and further tuning potential with the likes of a 172 engine. as people have said it will cost around £300 more and will have alot more power than the modded 1200. plus it will be a hell of alot more reliable. either a 1600 16v rsi engine or 172 power is the best bet!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
hope this doesn't draaaaaaag on like the other work, anyway i thought you said 'im only a young lad and i can't afford to insure a 172.......' hense why you put that chav bodykit on it? :confused:

£6000 for body kit + £2000 engine conversion + £2000 (a guess) for the original car = £10000

You could get a nearly new 182 for that and it would be easier to insure :rolleyes:

"You could get a nearly new 182"
Why would i want a standard 182 that is same as 95% of other 182's on the road????
Modifying is about been different.

"thought you said 'im only a young lad and i can't afford to insure a 172"
Thinking of 6-8 months, get my big pay rise in January + another years no claims.

172 cup'd extreme
get it done mine cost 2500 including fk's exhaust and viper + rsport ecu will take a competant mechanic a weekend to do and mine is cheaper to insure than a 172 (for me)