ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dog bone mount bolt sheared. Good time to change the bushes?

1.6 16v clio priv
Hi guys
Just rejoined the forum after a long time away.
I've just managed to shear the bolt holding the dog bone mount on to the engine.
Obviously this is going to be a real pain to remove.

While its up two things have occurred to me

Firstly I read somewhere that some people replace the dog bone mount on the 1.6 16v clios to the one from the 2.0l
Is this a good idea, its a long time since I read about it. I seem to remember reading it was a straight swap.

Secondly while its up on the jack I think I might as well change the bushes so opinions on OE or aftermarket bushes would be welcomed. Its got the same bushes it had from new (2001) although I've not had a close look at them yet.

Cheers for any input

1.6 16v clio priv
ANyone know if the dogbone bolt is a standard bolt or a silly renault only job. Renault cant get me one until Wednesday

Dodgy one
I would only be fitting a high tensile bolt in its place 10.9 and above, Personally i would replace mine with one from the dealer if it was to shear off

1.6 16v clio priv
To be honest I did think the same thing about getting one form a dealer but I would really like one now. I'm not really sure where to get one from though.
At least not without ordering one from the internet so I'm back to waiting

1.6 16v clio priv
Just been looking for the bolts. Screwfix sell a high tensile steel bolt that size. Only difference is Renaults Bolt is threaded all but the last 10mm and the standard bolts are not threaded for the last 30mm (ish)
They are the same price for a pack of 50 than the one is from renault.
I think I'll order one from the main dealer though. Knowing renault its probably not a standard thread

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i sheared one a few years back too, it seems quite common on cars running uprated gearbox mounts (i was running a polly bushed 172 mount - it was on my 1.2 16v) i always put it down to the stress of less play in the mount. possibly just a s**t setup only having one lower mount if yours has done it on standard mount

1.6 16v clio priv
To be honest any bolt regularly subjected to that force is going to shear eventually. It is 11 years old and I wasnt exactly being gently when it snapped :cool:

I have heard though of replacing the 1.6 16v dogbone mount with the 2.0 dogbone.
Read it years ago and I cant remember where but no one seems to answer my posts whenever I query it.
It wont help with the bolt though.
I've also been looking for polybushes but cant find anything thats not for the 172/182

Dont suppose you know if the 172 mount will fit the 1.6 16v?

BG 182
I've got a 182 and just uprated my mount with power flex bushes and it makes such a noticeable difference through the feedback of the gear lever. I would just replace your bolt with one of the same size that is reinforced/ht. most motor factors can provide these.