ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does the F4R engine suffer from Oil surge when using slicks on track?

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Or is it fine as std? did the cup racers have any different sump baffles? or all std?

Thanks

Westy. MX5
Not happened on my trackday. I have 15" Advan tyres so not completely slicks although I can't see what difference the tyres make to oil surge.
Usually just topping up the oil to 1 or 2mm. over the dipstick max is enough to prevent surge on any car.
Is the sump baffled? I would like to know that answer as well.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Not happened on my trackday. I have 15" Advan tyres so not completely slicks although I can't see what difference the tyres make to oil surge.
Usually just topping up the oil to 1 or 2mm. over the dipstick max is enough to prevent surge on any car.

Slick tyres make ALL the difference to oil surge! certainly in previous trackcars I have had! I had a VERY costly mistake at Mallory on a BRAND new Reyland Cosworth engine.

I also TOTALLY disagree with your advice on topping up oil guarding against oil surge of any car!

I REALLY don't mean this to sound rude, but replying to technical questions like this when you clearly don't know the answer is not only not helpful. Its potentially costly for people that listen to you!

53 Clio's & counting

This can be a very dangerous thing to do even a small amount!

Last edited:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Fella, RS forum and go in the technical bit, it's answered by a number of the Ex Cup Racer guys...I think that would be your safest bet.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Surely Fred can confirm if there's a windage tray int he sump or not

TrackCar & F30 330d
I'm 99% sure someone on here got a baffled sump fitted and Fred said that it was not needed as the Cup racers dont use one and they are on slicks.

gonna have to wait a good few days from fred he's not about... if its desperate though i can ask him and relay it to you?

340i
not needed, the cup racers never had any internal changes... The clios run a plastic "tray" to retain some oil below the crank (my super technical explanation)

Done. :)

ITB'd MK1
not needed, the cup racers never had any internal changes... The clios run a plastic "tray" to retain some oil below the crank (my super technical explanation)

Done. :)

plastic tray (windage tray) is to stop the crank dragging in the sump oil ;)

Only ever heard of surge once. Think it was round a very long fast corner at mallory

Mine was alright on cut slicks all day at Mallory last year, Gerrards was a good 10-15 seconds of constant 100mph right handed cornering, never had any engine/oil problems. Probably due to the cheap'o nasty 10w40 I use being nice and thick lol.

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
Standard sump on my cup racer and i don't suffer from it, as gray said the cup racer came with standard internals.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Gerrards is the corner that cost me the new YB engine!

Thanks for respones. Sounds like no worries!

cheers guys.

Schma Schme 1.6l
i know this is an old thread but i was looking for any tips on oil surge.

it was a known fact in clio cup that they suffered from oil surge, the teams ran a bit more oil to cope. there are 2 main corners that cause this in uk, gerrards and the bomb hole. clio cup didn't race at mallory but they tested alot.

and to anyone who drives their clio cup racer on slick that hasn't suffered surge of some point.....try using the pedal on the left more!
anyone have any info on baffled sumps?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
i found a dry sump kit to fit an F4R, was used in a formula renault car due to the low engine mounting and them using a shallow sump to compensate (relaying info from the seller so don't shoot me if that's wrong lol)

however......

the kit new from renault sport is alot of pennies! so even second hand i was looking at £500 ish for the whole setup

Lionel Richie

it was a known fact in clio cup that they suffered from oil surge, the teams ran a bit more oil to cope. there are 2 main corners that cause this in uk, gerrards and the bomb hole. clio cup didn't race at mallory but they tested alot.

and to anyone who drives their clio cup racer on slick that hasn't suffered surge of some point.....try using the pedal on the left more!

how does the clutch pedal make you faster?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4

Does using the clutch cause oil surge?

182cup & 172 racecar
99.9% sure cup racers did not have baffled sumps.We had no worries at Mallory either.Fuel starvation yes but thats why we put a swirl pot in.

Evo 5 RS
nobody has ever said they do and if the cup racers run without that'd put my mind at rest if it was me..

Our spire ran a baffled sump but that thing could pull probably double the G's you're ever going to get out of one of these lol

poet didn't know it

BMW M135i
For a non-techie like myself, can anyone explain what is oil surge? Ta :)
When under hard cornering the oil is moved to one side of the sump and it uncovers the oil pump pickup. So you loose oil pressure, if unnoticed its baaaaaaaad m'kay.

J.W

RB 182 Cup
Never thought I'd see this topic again after I fitted one when building Jack Knight straight cut gearbox for my Mini back in '99 :D

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
Never thought I'd see this topic again after I fitted one when building Jack Knight straight cut gearbox for my Mini back in '99 :D

Ah, yes. The bit of bent pipe to put the oil pick up in the middle. Remember those well, when I built my Mini in, err... '75

Schma Schme 1.6l
how many of you guys that state the clio doesn't suffer from surge actually work for clio cup race teams during the mk2 era? how many of you guys bang a clio pinned through coram in 4th while the car want to exit stage left?

perhaps my car is different? perhaps my mates clio that blew an engine at mallory is differnent? maybe all the knackered engine out of the cup racers of the mk2 era are different?

i know for certain that if i had a built motor in my cup racer, it'd have a baffled sump!

yes, the go pedal is on the right, maybe thats while i suffer from oil surge and never go anywhere?

J.W

RB 182 Cup
Ah, yes. The bit of bent pipe to put the oil pick up in the middle. Remember those well, when I built my Mini in, err... '75

I remember mine well when going to install the pipe at the end of the build and realising it had to be the first component fitted into the box due to the new route of the pipe as opposed to the standard one which came in and out with ease ha ha!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I remember mine well when going to install the pipe at the end of the build and realising it had to be the first component fitted into the box due to the new route of the pipe as opposed to the standard one which came in and out with ease ha ha!

You still run them today in 2011, My mini would not make it round the 1st corner with out one. O and its much quicker than my 172 to.

DSC00139.jpg

Lotus Elise
how many of you guys that state the clio doesn't suffer from surge actually work for clio cup race teams during the mk2 era? how many of you guys bang a clio pinned through coram in 4th while the car want to exit stage left?

perhaps my car is different? perhaps my mates clio that blew an engine at mallory is differnent? maybe all the knackered engine out of the cup racers of the mk2 era are different?

i know for certain that if i had a built motor in my cup racer, it'd have a baffled sump!

yes, the go pedal is on the right, maybe thats while i suffer from oil surge and never go anywhere?

I have several wins in British GT and many other championships. I have also driven several clio cup race cars.
:rasp:

Perhaps you were low on oil ;)