ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does such a head unit exist?

Basically I'll be getting a new car at the end of next month, (Ph2 DCi) and its just got the basic Renault head unit, no CD changer or anything. I'm looking to either replace it, or find a more efficient way of using my phone for music/satnav/calls. Currently I have a JVC head unit that came already in my Ph1 and have a basic way of setting it up. (see below)

Ideally, I'd like the following:
  • Some kind of compatibility with Android phones (bluetooth, etc)
  • Work with the fingertip controls on the steering wheel
  • Able to include a sub
  • Possibly change tracks from my phone by using the head unit controls?
  • and able to cope with phone calls/ sat nav.
My current set up is basic, but works as the following:
  • Phone windscreen mounted
  • Aux cable (with wired in microphone, for calls) connects phone to head unit
  • Play music through my phone, which will automatically cut out for phone calls or sat nav instruction
Obviously the downsides of this are how untidy it looks, the lack of fingertip compatibility, and having to divert my attention to my phone if I wish to change tracks.

Obviously theres hundreds to choose from if I had an iPhone, its such a pity the market isn't as big for Android!

Any advice on this? Keep it the way I currently do it? New head unit? or any other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Have a look at the pioneer DEH-8500BT that will be the one I'm getting soon I had the one before in my car now it's brilliant, but won't let you change track on the radio controls and the this one does. Also supports android! And has Parrot built in.

Most bluetooth head units will do what you need, get one with a good/external microphone though!

I have honestly no idea about bluetooth head units. I get bluetooth streaming etc, I've done bits like that to TVs etc.

Say if I were listening to a track with bluetooth streaming, I get a call, It'll cut out and i'll be able to make the call etc? Will the same work with google navigation instructions on my HTC?

Admittedly, my favourite HU has to be my friends: http://caraudiosecurity.com/ida-x305s-ipod-bluetooth-ready-digital-media-receiver she's using iPhone, so all is dandy with hers, but it'd be no good to me I guess?

Have a look at the pioneer DEH-8500BT that will be the one I'm getting soon I had the one before in my car now it's brilliant, but won't let you change track on the radio controls and the this one does. Also supports android! And has Parrot built in.

That looks well tidy mate, I thought for everything I need i'd be looking at double that price!

Will it keep the fingertip controls and the dash screen though?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
As far as I know, all audio is streamed, music, video, google navigation, everything.

When you get a call the stereo beeps and switches to phone mode, automatically picking up the call.

It's properly handy, but I've just gotta get a better microphone for mine as the standard one's pants.

As for stalk controls, a connects2 adapter usually retains all that for you.

As far as I know, all audio is streamed, music, video, google navigation, everything.

When you get a call the stereo beeps and switches to phone mode, automatically picking up the call.

It's properly handy, but I've just gotta get a better microphone for mine as the standard one's pants.

As for stalk controls, a connects2 adapter usually retains all that for you.

Excellent news mate, cheers for that. Which one are you using may I ask?

Fair enough, can't imagine they'll be overly expensive? I guess that will fit straight in to the Pioneer Blacky has recommended too.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I have an alpine in the beemer, does everything you want and more. Had a pioneer in my clio and that was almost as good.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent news mate, cheers for that. Which one are you using may I ask?

Fair enough, can't imagine they'll be overly expensive? I guess that will fit straight in to the Pioneer Blacky has recommended too.

I use a Sony MEX BT3600 U, very good head unit IMO with coax outputs for speakers and sub, only niggle for me as I've said before the microphone quality isn't very good. Have to turn the blowers off if I want to be heard lol.

Comes with Aux and USB though.

sony_car_radio.jpg