ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do randoms approach you in petrol stations?

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Had my first one tonight in over 5 years and 350 fill-ups...
Well yours stands out, what with all the stickers.

Had no one say anything to me. Closest was my neighbour calling it 'flashy' when i first bought it.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Once in the 182, when i freshly PC'd it, The Black Gold looked mint under the forecourt lights, some dude in an evo asking how come it was so shiney etc

Few in the 197, what is it etc. Also a few comments on the Albi colour too :)

Last edited:
  White clique
I don't think it's bitterness, how could it be considering most of us drive similar cars? No one is denying that the cars can get some attention, but "always" and "all the time"? Jackanory TBH.

:dapprove: sorry.

I am in the market now for a new car, i am bored of red so want nimbus or a white non-cup, and maybe then i'll have even more stories about randoms approaching me at petrol stations!

Yes i would agree that "always" is probably a bit of an over statement :D

106 GTi
Never had any comments when I had the 182, 205 GTi seemed to attract attention every now and then when filling up.

ph1 172
ive had rides in loads of cars including race cars with trade plates, ferraris, aston martins, a 400bhp ac cobra repilca etc etc

but none of them got half the attention that i got in a.....

Classic Fiat 500!

literally people were beeping, flashing, taking pictures at the petrol station. If you drive around in something flashy, you look like a t**t. drive around in a fiat 500 and you are a legend!

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
I've never had anyone approach me in a petrol station! Maybe it's because I'm a girl, I don't know!

I think you're right Deb! Never get asked about mine...but it gets plenty of looks :approve:

Nearest I've had to some sort of question is the chavs at my brother's college asking him "Is your sister's car a 1.4?" after I drop him off. Is it f**k!

Vauxhall Astra's x 2
Not a Clio.... but my old (well, one of my current) Astra was nearly totally standard looking base model with a 2litre 16v (redtop) - it is totally stripped out with just 2 x Subaru buckets and harnesses basically - no dash etc...

Used to get people looking at it and asking 'daft' questions all the time - was always good for a laugh.

August-30-9.jpg

The novelty of having no heaters wore off in about October! :lol:

'83 2.8 Capri :)
No such problems in the Clio. Absolutely hated it when I had the Capri - old guys used to flock round it and go all misty eyed, then the enevitable "I remember when...". Even got followed home a couple of times! Nutters.

I hate filling up the Capri sometimes. You tend to find that early evening on a Saturday or late morning on a Sunday is the worst time for it. It's odd, but the initial novelty of being approached soon wears off. Apparently, every man and his dog has owned and/or crashed a capri, or at least knows a bloke who has.

Some bloke even came knocking on the door to buy it. I used to get offers to buy it once a month yet, now that it's for sale, no-one's bothered :rolleyes:

I'm yet to have anyone approach me about the 172, ad it's hardly standard/subtle.

Got a few comments and interest when I had the valver. The worst was my old 205 gti, was continually getting approached about it, became a pain in the a**e tbh!

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i
i used to work in Tesco petrol station in Horwich, and i always used to chat to the customers about there cars.

Sometimes i used to open the night hatch so i could hear them drive away, worked well for the F430 :D

RB 197 fatty
Not a Clio.... but my old (well, one of my current) Astra was nearly totally standard looking base model with a 2litre 16v (redtop) - it is totally stripped out with just 2 x Subaru buckets and harnesses basically - no dash etc...

Used to get people looking at it and asking 'daft' questions all the time - was always good for a laugh.

August-30-9.jpg

The novelty of having no heaters wore off in about October! :lol:

Daft questions? What like why have you stripped everything out that weighs anything at all thats not needed then put a rubber duck in it and a little furry fella hanging in the corner in it?!?!!!! ;-)

Last edited:
  tiTTy & SV650
Get folk coming upto me now and again in the 205 telling me they used to have them etc and it's looking healthy lol

One guy started offering me money for it, he was just a rude boy chav so I told him I wouldn't sell it to someone like him lol

Turbos.
I got some little chavvy kids ask about the 1.2 sometimes, which was when i realised i needed to sell the little pikey chariot.

PH1 172
A couple of comments when I have taken it to the local hand car wash place, one guy really liked the way it looked for a car being nearly 9years old.

Elise S1 B&C 140
got a few either, "is it really a 2.0 litre, i bet thats pokey" :rolleyes:

or a chav in a corsa sport, asking "why did you put 2.0 litre badges on it so you dont get people like me trying to race you?" my reply, yes mate and the fact that it has a 20.litre in it :S

RB Clio 182
A guy who had a SL500 AMG standing next to me at the pumps had good comments on my 182 starting asking me a few questions about the nurburgring sticker.
Someone infact pulled into the petrol station when i was filling up the first week i had the car and offered to buy it!

172 Cup
Few Golf GTI driver's commenting on my old Punto GT after i gave them a few pastings, thats a quick punto is it a sporting, my favourite question was what size engine's in that, to which their faces dropped when i replied 1.4.........Turbo!!

Had my head under my bonnet filling the washer jets up and had a guy comment on the size of my engine in a little car lol. I replied with "yep it's shoe horned in!" he just laughed and went back to his family wagon.

+1 at half of this being made up. People getting approached "all the time" etc. WTF?

Pretty sure some of this is just day dreaming. Still, who knows...

Pmsl! I thought the same. I've never been been approached and I've only had a couple of t***s try it on at the traffic lights.

I'd love to live in some of your worlds for 5 minutes to see what its like :rasp:

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
got a few either, "is it really a 2.0 litre, i bet thats pokey" :rolleyes:

or a chav in a corsa sport, asking "why did you put 2.0 litre badges on it so you dont get people like me trying to race you?" my reply, yes mate and the fact that it has a 20.litre in it :S

20 litre engine... f**k me I bet that shifts... :star:

BG182®
This thread makes us British seem like the nicest people on earth lol.

I've had 2 comments when I had my orange 206GTi. One was a fat bird saying how nice the colour and the other was a GTI 180 owner saying he wished he still had his old GTi.

Apart from that and the odd 206 owner looking that was it. Just have to wait and see what attention I get with the 182.

ive had rides in loads of cars including race cars with trade plates, ferraris, aston martins, a 400bhp ac cobra repilca etc etc

but none of them got half the attention that i got in a.....

Classic Fiat 500!

literally people were beeping, flashing, taking pictures at the petrol station. If you drive around in something flashy, you look like a tw*t. drive around in a fiat 500 and you are a legend!
They are so damn cool, i want one :approve:

Actually the other week some bloke come out of a shop as my old boy was going to his car (mk2 172) the bloke said, that he was really into clios and asked him if it was the V6 one, my dad just said no mate.

What a tool, they because they look alike don't they ??:rolleyes:

White clique
I did actually have one of the eastern european valeters at my local tesco take a pic on his mobile of mine a couple of months back when it was all cleaned up.

The most comments i got was from my old CRX mark 2. Once there were a couple of people gathered around it outside where it was parked across the road, i went out there as it looked dodgy, but the bloke told me he had been hunting for a minter for about 6 months and was about to leave a note on the windscreen offering to buy it. I blew him out, then months later flogged it for way less than i thought i'd get.

330Ci M Sport
i used to work in Tesco petrol station in Horwich, and i always used to chat to the customers about there cars.

Sometimes i used to open the night hatch so i could hear them drive away, worked well for the F430 :D

ben grimes?