ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do i get a Clio 182 OR 197?

Clio 172 cup
Hi all,

Im interested in buying either of the above but just cant decide. What mpg do you get on average from the 197? I have had a clio 172 cup before and was getting 36mpg.

I really like the both 182 and 197 but im mainly looking for something fun, nippy, comforatble to drive as a daily driver

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Possibly! My only regret is never owning one :(

Anyway, imo 197 for everyday. I averaged around 27mpg in my old 06 plate 197, get around 30mpg in my 08 Cup (longer 5/6th help) Used to get around 36mpg out of my old 172 Cups.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I have a 182 and to be honest it's looking dated now and I keep looking at 197's more and more.

Clio 172 cup
thanks for this quick feedback guys, ive seen a racing blue 197 or nimbus grey? both very nice on 34k miles

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Whats the budget matey?

Some people on here w**k themselves into a coma over Nimbus, but for me its dulzville in the UK.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
The reality is- if your caught between 2 cars on a budget then go for a top spec decent car- not a poverty spec car- ( in this case the 197)

If you have around 6.5k then buy a trophy OR save even more money & look for a nice racing blue 182 on lowmiles for say 5k & retro fit some decent recaros-

Dont waste your money on a bottom of the range poverty spec Albi blue or nimbus 197- The not all that & the gearbox will fall to bits- ( which is worse than the 182 when its exhaust falls to bits)

unless your topping 8k to play with take the 197 off the table-

Steve

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
i originally wanted a 197 and test drove a few and like them, then started to consider 182's and had a shot in one. The 182 felt a little more lively and quicker and some may argue this point but i preferred the 182 gearbox. I know the 197 has the more capable chassis though. I ended up with a cup packed 182. On my way to work, 62 miles on A roads im getting 40.9 mpg if i behave! Happy with my decision! :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
White or nothing for the 197!

Bingo!

DSC04811.jpg

flol at the 182 gearbox. Feels like you're stirring a tub full of rusty bolts with a practically unreachable hockey stick. Terrible.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
flol at the 182 gearbox. Feels like you're stirring a tub full of rusty bolts with a practically unreachable hockey stick. Terrible.

True- at least the syncro sort of works-
That 08 plate will have the revised ratios

S

Never above 25mpg
Only thing that puts me off the 197 is the 10 less mpg, would love an R27 in Albi, Ultra or Liquid though.

If I had that much money towards a car it'd definitely be a 197 now, 182s will be nearing or due a cambelt too

Clio 172 cup
that racing blue clio looks awesome steve, where abouts are you based? do all 197's ahve xenon lights then?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Mint! Honestly its the best colour imo. I thinks its stupid how they continued with the rb an ly, personally i feel it should of been left with the 182's, they look tacky on the 197's and have taken the character of the colours away.
Same for the 200, white or the moonstone grey colour!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
that racing blue clio looks awesome steve, where abouts are you based? do all 197's ahve xenon lights then?

Its bloody cheap, imo, only done 20k!

Xenon equipped cars have headlight washers. There are two other clusters, black ones that look like Xenons but have no washers, or the Silver clusters like my white Cup above

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-

No xenons have to be specced-

Its not my car its Chappos- hes bought a new bike & wants to shift it- I nearly bought it- but it didnt have the leather recaros any more

I would try my luck for 8k, look around for a shagged set of ripped 197 recaros ( dont appear often) & - snap a set for around £800 & recover them in leather at edge motorsport-
Sell your standard seats- you will then have a MINTER for 9k

S

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Only thing that puts me off the 197 is the 10 less mpg, would love an R27 in Albi, Ultra or Liquid though.

If I had that much money towards a car it'd definitely be a 197 now, 182s will be nearing or due a cambelt too
Tbh mate i think its an ideal time for 182's as most will (should) of had the belts done, mines a 55 plate and was freshly done 2 months ago

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
9k on a Clio... that barely does 30mpg :S

Buy a real car.

E46 325(d?) .. Classic Impreza .. S2000 [insert Warren quote here] for the summer......

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I dont get this MPG lark. CTR never comes in for this stick, and its barely faster~? And has similar if not worse MPG figures. Clapped out classic that will drink fuel, no ta

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I thinks its stupid how they continued with the rb an ly, personally i feel it should of been left with the 182's, they look tacky on the 197's and have taken the character of the colours away.
Same for the 200, white or the moonstone grey colour!
Disagree.
RB 200 with Anthracite wheels is orgasmic. Only colour I would own along with Storm Grey (?)

I dont get this MPG lark. CTR never comes in for this stick, and its barely faster~? And has similar if not worse MPG figures. Clapped out classic that will drink fuel, no ta
I know what you mean. Plus you have to drive it like a bicycle in first gear.

clio
197 do it..

I.d say essential options are xenons, cup chassis, and recaros. Oh and a little numbered plaque. but I am biased.

if you expect to get into the 30s mpg on average you are gonna be.driving on the motor ways too much. .. mid to high 20s is the norm .

Last edited: