ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do clios and rain not mix?

ibiza fr tdi hybrid
Sorry if this sounds stupid but i started my car this morning to go to work it was ticking over fine sat there for 2 mins or so to let it warm up abit then all of a sudden the car just went realy loud as if i had a rediculos big exhaust on it then when i drove off it kept spluttering and the exhaust was popping then a mile down the road the engine management light was flasing there was a bit of white smoke not clouds of it just a little bit my old clio sport dident like the rain but it wernt no were near like my clio was this morning could this be because of the rain is there any common areas were rain gets in the engine bay area on this clios? Sorry for the essay :D thanks

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I don't know of any rain issues.

However, It does sound like you have a misfire. Coil/plugs/leads/injectors will probably be at fault.

1*2's are known for being very rough and almost undrivable when the engines are cold. It should take a few miles before the oil is up to temp.

Suzuki Jimny
That happened to my cup on the way to fcs a few years ago in the rain. Good design Renault.

ibiza fr tdi hybrid
My cars lumpy even when warm? What could that be? I dont have engine cover so ill try get hold of one i wanted one anyway map sensor is that the one on left that gets in the side of the inlet mani? I checked engine when i got to work and everything was dry but saying that it will be dry when the engines hot! Ill see what the cars like on my lunch break thanks for the help guys

ibiza fr tdi hybrid
also i dont have a fuel rail gaurd wich is stupid ino but its how i got the car and im in the process of getting one as i dont fancy going up in flames if i have a accident!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I drove my ph1 through a huge puddle and it started playing up, engine kept bogging right down and wouldn't accelerate. I just kept driving it and whenever it wasn't bogging down I gave it a good run, eventually it did dry up and stop bogging down lol.

Phase 2 clio 172
The only issues I have with mine in the wet is the severe lack of grip due to shite tyres all round :(

+1 on the undriveability when cold, mine is a jerky lump of crap when it's cold, gearbox feels like s**t before its up to temp aswell

ibiza fr tdi hybrid
The only issues I have with mine in the wet is the severe lack of grip due to s**te tyres all round :(

+1 on the undriveability when cold, mine is a jerky lump of crap when it's cold, gearbox feels like s**t before its up to temp aswell

Yup when i drive mine when its cold i say to my self peice of crap!! But once warmed up i love it lol hence why i leave it ticking over most times till its warmed up!! Anyway car seems to be fine now so must have got water in somewere whilst sitting over night thanks for the help everyone

I washed my engine once - thought it'd be fine and an injector died.
Then drove it in heavy rain later in the year, got a missfire and the injector was dead again.

Might be unrelated but the injectors don't seem to like getting wet which might be one of the reasons they're supposed to have the cover on them

It was probably just a HT lead shorting out if you get the engine soaked.

182 Cup
Cheap HT leads leak down from the top which can cause a missfire. I had it when I washed my engine a little bit (no spraying water involved)

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Try driving an e46 m3 when it's cold then you'll know what a lumpy start is lol. You also needed to be hulk hogan when trying to get it into 1st on a cold morning.