ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Djw Daves Turbo Clio Reincarnation Project thread - Updated 11/11

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Re: Djw Daves Turbo Clio Reincarnation Project thread

how easy is it exactly to whack the volvo turbo engine in an RSi?
what does it do to insurance?

The good thing about doing it to the rsi is you already have teh right mounts. Its the wiring thats a biatch to do!

Martin, shush with your 1.2 stuff, its a mk1 therefore will brakes ;)

Rb 182

Easy and hard at the same time, if you an ris you already have the same mounts. you need to use the alt bracket and alt from the rsi. You need to mount the intercooler. uprate the fuel pump, brakes and suspension.

The wiring is the hardest part, i paid somone to do mines as it was a b**ch!

Insurance for me was £864 a year with flux all mods declaired 22 with 2 years NCB no crashes etc etc

1.8 8v RSi

Easy and hard at the same time, if you an ris you already have the same mounts. you need to use the alt bracket and alt from the rsi. You need to mount the intercooler. uprate the fuel pump, brakes and suspension.

Insurance for me was £864 a year with flux all mods declaired 22 with 2 years NCB no crashes etc etc
that aint to bad insurance wise :)
how much did it cost to pay for someone to do wiring?(can u still use RSi dash?)

Works...kind of...

Some good work going on there fellas!

Wouldn't happen to still have the door pockets would ya? ;)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Been down the workshop for another couple of hours today, not in any huge rush obviously!!

Did some more weight loss stuff and fitted a new wing to replace the old damaged one, still to finish tidying up the door and then we'll get that on as well for a properly multi coloured car!!

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

Total amount of tar sound deadening taken out so far!

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Oh and the wing is only loosely bolted on, basically to keep it out of the way and getting damaged!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Getting there! Has to be all the cheap/free things at the moment!

Gonna need a whole load of tar and glue remover!

Rb 182

that aint to bad insurance wise :)
how much did it cost to pay for someone to do wiring?(can u still use RSi dash?)

I paid £200 for somone to wire it! Yes you can keep the Rsi dash, i kept my Rt one. Only thing i couldnt get to work was the rev counter. Will have to look into that. :S

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah probably going to have to be a standalone rev counter that we use. When we tried connecting the Reno one up the engine would die!

Dave, soon young man, soon!

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Guys, can i come up and visit you lot? I actually want to see what it looks like.

I will be armed with cash to buy some stuff if you have got the electric motors etc out, also im willing to lend my arms if you need help?

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
Fair play chaps, putting a car on a diet is mint more speed no money, well apart from cutting discs and elbow grease.

M

mini-valver

The rev counter issue....I'm not sure how they are wired on Renault's but on Vauxhalls theres a tacho live that comes from the rear of the dial that wires into the coil. Is it the same system on the mk1 or am I way off??

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
We've got the lead that comes from the volvo engine but it seems incompatible with the renault dials. Cant remember exactly where it feeds from though.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Went down myself this afternoon for a couple of hours and dotted about.

Took the ns wing off the auto that we're breaking ready to go on the turbo. Grinded, prepped and painted the inner os wing. It aint perfect by any means, tbh its barely even good but will hopefully stop the rust spreading!

Also removed some more wires, grinded a few wee bits inside and started taking off the flashing tape (which is hell!!!) Also removed the OS RSi skirt. Gonna swap the ns wings over next I think and tidy up there as well.

A couple of wee pics to keep you looking ;)

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

All comments welcome!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
mmmm could be tight!

It was never gonna be rushed seeing as how we're bpth skint just now!

Having to stick to the cheap stuff atm :(

Good fun doing all the work again though :)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
No fraid not, the passenger side one is simply refusing to move. Not keen on breaking the window but it may have to come to that. If it does that wont be for a while Im afraid.

Yeah another colour to be introduced soon!!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
What wheels are on there? The 15inch OZ F1 cups are quite heavy at 9 kilos (I think), whack a set of Ultra or Superleggera's as they weigh around 5 or 5.5 kilos :p Even the Mag Alloy Speedline 2020s weigh about 7.5 kilos.

Rb 182
Just a bit more sound deadening removed been busy with the other cars tbh.

The F1s have been sold already, wil be keeping an eye out for light wheels later on in the year.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Boy we are moving slowly with this one! Its hard for us to both get the time to go down and work on it with too many other cars needing more urgent attention ;)

Anyway, bit of progress today, stripped out the flashing tape from the back finally and also half teh sound deadening on the boot floor. Once thats all done it'll be getting cleaned properly, bits cut, cage welded and then painted.

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

Cut a few more wires, dreading getting one wrong and killing it forever!

IMG_1574.jpg

And put the front shocks from the auto on so we can chuck some wheels and roll it out of the garage when needed.

IMG_1571.jpg

Also got the ns wing detached everywhere except the bottom bolt which if fubar'd so will come back to that with a grinder!