ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY colour coding + car wash

mx5
Ok, planning on colour coding my side strips next week, but ive heard that it will come off when a pressure washer is used? Is this true?
I am planning on doing wet&dry, high build laquer, paint then clear coat, but I dont want to go through the effort if its just going to come off in the first car wash.
Ta

SchwepTek™
If you sign up to become a full member for £5 mate, there is a full guide on colourcoding in the guides section.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
dont use a carwash they ruin your paint work and leave swirl marks all over it. use a simple two bucket method with car shampoo in one, and the other for cleaning the washmit out so you dont get the shampoo water dirty

mx5
Thats what Im using to wash it atm, but im worried that if my dad puts it through a car wash or something while Im away it will ruin it.
Should it hold up, if i do what I am planning on doing?

Punto/Clio GTT
you shouldnt really use pressure washers up close to paintwork anyway as TBh, even factory paint on bumpers can still be ripped clean off due to stonechips etc.

if youre that concerned about it, just dont use a pressure washer on the side strips?

mx5
its not me that im worried about, its the hand carwash peopl etc that my dad might use that use them.

Either way I think im still going to go for it. I'll just tell my dad never to wash my car.

Thanks for the replies.

Evo 8 MR
Yeah go for it pal I've blasted mine a few times nothing extensive though just a quick going over and the paint is still holding so I wouldn't really worry about it.

mx5
kk thanks man, I think Im gna leave it til after exams finish, but I'll go n get some paint mixed sometime soon.

1.2 Clio
I am in the process of finishing mine off at the minute and didnt know what it would come off under a pressure washer.

AlanR, it wont unless you get too close, but thats the same for all the paintwork. My brother managed to strip his alloys this way

1.2 Clio
I wash the motor every weekend myself and wax and t-cut every 2 weeks. Then get a local car was to wash and chamios it.

So it will be just to tell them not to go over the bump strips before they start.

bmw 318ci coupe
powerwashing shouldnt remove any paint at all, i have an industrial one at home (very powerful) and it has never ripped paint off, unless use are blasting a rusty old wagon!

Clive the Clio no. 2
Iv just finished colour coding today and i am going to test it out with a pressure washer on sunday,

i will tell you the results on monday!

mx5
kk thanks man, I think Im gna leave it til after exams finish, but I'll go n get some paint mixed sometime soon.

Sack that Halfrauds ftw £5.50 a can its like £12 a can if you get it mixed up.

I went the other day, not looking for paint, but Im sure there was only Iceberg Silver and Silver Grey, which is the one im looking for? I thought it was Gris Boreal?

Evo 8 MR
It depends what colour your car is matey call Renault if you are unsure and give them your reg they will tell you exactly what colour and code.

mx5
Colour code is MV 632, gris boreal, but Im sure they didnt have it in halfords, Ill have a look in the big one in hendon, thanks

Evo 8 MR
It might be called something like Renault Grey or something simple like that it won't have the exact code on it or anything.

Colour code is MV 632, gris boreal, but Im sure they didnt have it in halfords, Ill have a look in the big one in hendon, thanks

Gris Boreal is the colour in french.

It translates to.

Gray Boreal

I used this translator i found on Google :)

http://www.freetranslation.com/

So i take it your paint will be silver grey (but double check) ;)

And this may help

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56348&highlight=paint+codes

Its a list of all the Renault Paint Codes matched upto the Colours and your is Grey Boreal with a paint code of MV632.

Last edited:
Heres another paint code guide ;)

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=27

pg_rmt7.jpg

Stolen from here.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=325809

mx5
Alright, thanks a lot mate, I am going to go tomorrow to buy all the paint etc, so ill see what they have.

fiesta 1.25
I wash the motor every weekend myself and wax and t-cut every 2 weeks. Then get a local car was to wash and chamios it.

So it will be just to tell them not to go over the bump strips before they start.

:S you wash it then wax then tcut then get a carwash to wash and dry it?

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
id avoid the car wash mate, only thing that is ok there is the jet wash but not the brushes, there like wire!!!!!