ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Digital SLR Cameras?

Nimbus Grey 197
Hi all - i know that quite a lot of people on here are keen photgraphers and have taken some good photos.

I currently have a compact digital Canon Ixus camera and i absolutely love taking photos, mainly of cars and all things automotive.

Im wanting to 'move up in the world' and am looking at getting a dslr. Quick pop to jessops this lunch time and asked what sort of price i would pay for an entry level dslr would be.....

Sony Alpha 200 - £289
Sony Alpha 300 - £349
Canon EOS 1000D - £399.

Anyone tell me if i am barking up the wrong tree here - im sure i will find cheaper online but will these cameras be any good? I am a complete novice and have read a few things on dpreviews.com but if anyone else had some good websites that explain things in simple terms it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Woza.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
Ones to look out for, 1000D, 450D's, D40's or D60's.

Personally, The Sony series maybe cheaper but image quality/lens wise, just doesn't stack up to Canon or Nikon.

Ian

Focus TDCi
From what I have gathered on this forum its got to be Nikon.;)

You heard wrong, but let's not get into that. :)

To the OP, most people on here tend to go with the Nikon D40 as a starter camera, or a Canon equivalent. For some reason I can't think of anyone with a Canon 1000d, most people have either the 350d, 400d or 450d instead.

However any dSLR made by Canon or Nikon that is currently in the shops will be extremely capable and it then comes down to personal preference. For example I think I'm right in saying Tillybob is a Canon fan. ;)

For the record I use a 450d and it's my first dSLR.

Cupra
One of the upsides of choosing Canon or Nikon is that there are lot more 2nd hand accessories to be had for good prices. The majority of my lenses are 2nd hand and I have been able to buy some that I would not have wanted to spend out on otherwise.

Just remember that you are buying into a system and not just a body. (Some people are happy with just one lens and are not bitten by this expensive bug though)

Porsche Boxster987S
i was in the same boat as you and went for the d40. Great for a beginner imo

koi

Audi S1
As said before stick with the main two Canon / Nikon and you'll have more choice in 2nd hand accessories.

I started off with the Canon 350d and now have the Canon 450d. 350d is a great camera and ideal if you're just starting out.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Go for something different, ive got this basically its a pentax, gets top reviews and is a bargain at that price. Also you can buy used pentax lenses which fit.

Lots of people wont like the idea but it is a seriously good piece of kit, my uncle uses the same model and his pictures are simply amazing (the reason i got one).

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
I shoot Canon :rasp:

+1.

400D. Theres not much difference IIRC between the 400 and 450. You'll probably be able to get one in good nick for bargain on the bay.

Like everyone says, you need to get your hands round a Nikon and Canon see which one you feel comfortable with...

And the expensive bug will catch you. No matter how hard you try to resist!

I'm shooting Olympus right now!! E-420, its for the misses but I'm hooked on the little bugger!! Live view, sensor cleaning etc. Cost £399 inc 2 lenses.

It probably wont go down well on here - but thats my suggestion.

Hi mate,

I'm in the same boat now. I'm trying to decide between the Nikon D60, Olympus E420 and Sony A200, although the samsung camera mentioned peviously looks good and a bargain for the money.

I have found decent reviews here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhqGAZ5g60s

I really like the E420! Its not for everyone as it does not have the big grip of most SLR's. Saying that I find it very comfortable to hold and use. I much prefer it to my previous D60 TBH.

Megane Mk4
I shoot Canon :rasp:
Best idea yet ;)

Shooting_0008.jpg

Seriously though, play with all the DSLR's within that price range and see which feels easy to use/handles ok etc. Don't buy a camera because it has the same name on it as the last camera you had as two camera's are never the same.

Nimbus Grey 197
i had a play with the d40 today and it seems to be a nice one - seriously considering it!