ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Current Compact Digital Camera

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hey chaps, another one of these threads, I need a high quality one for work (doesn't have to be robust) - needs to be pretty new and good quality images. Also not sure if Sony can take normal SD cards as we have 2x 4GB ones currently and they're fine for what we need!

Any help appreciated. We currently run 2x Canon Ixus, can't say i'm too impressed after a couple of years use. Lumix is always in the back of my head. Budget is sub £200/180.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Good stuff, zoom isn't an issue just quality for us. does it accept standard SD cards out the box being Sony?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Pretty sure it does. He just got a cheapo 64gb card for it..sure it was standard size. It's got a really nice weight too it too

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Good man! Really want a Lumix but the right one is just silly money for a workshop camera.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Yeah. To be honest when you get to this level there's not much in them. It is the small things that make them better though..

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I bought my lady a Lumix LX7 last year. £265 now on Amazon so a bit cheaper than it was last year, it is a brilliant camera and worth every penny over £200. It also just feels a lot more premium that the similarly priced super zoom models. Turn it on and it's ready to shoot within a second, just little things like that make it for me.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Its annoying how many cameras have microSD now. Its so nice being able to just pop a standard SD card into your laptop and away you go, none of this mucking about trying to find the adapter.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Why not use a smartphone?

Can then just email it through to wherever needed.
I use mine from time to time, it's epic but not practical and the size of the images from the off are too big to email, I do mess around resizing now and again.

Phones are more expensive than cameras also. ;)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I use mine from time to time, it's epic but not practical and the size of the images from the off are too big to email, I do mess around resizing now and again.

Phones are more expensive than cameras also. :wink:
If the images are too big from your phone to email without resizing then they will be too big from a camera.

Have you not thought about something older? The Lumix will probably have dropped in price and will probably be better than the newer cheap cameras.

We have a canon compact. Can't remember what it was the but image quality is superb. Think she paid about £200 a few years ago.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The more I researched the more I realised how poor the canon ixus ones must be, they cost us a lot yet are never anywhere in the testing and reviews etc.

Thanks to @Cribert I ordered the Sony which was pretty much what I had in mind, always thought they did cracking cameras for basic needs.