ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diagnosing a whine.

FF 182
I have a whine coming from somewhere at the front. Noticed it about a week ago, and im pretty sure i never heard it before then. Seems to be noisier after a cold start, however its still there, and is more noticeable when dipping the clutch and lifting off accelerator. Idle and in neutral if i rev it up it is noticeable too. Doesnt make a whine just idling.

I had the belts done about 5 weeks ago, everything was done, i.e aux belt, cam belt, depahser and water pump.

What are the most probable causes of a whine, and how would i go about diagnosing them?

Clio 172
Does the whine get louder when you accelerate ? My alternator went and that was the cause of the noise.... pretended I had a supercharger for a few months before the dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree and I came to a shuddering hault! lol

FF 182
Dont think it does mate, if it does i cant hear it over the engine. Its not really loud..........just noticeable when dipping clutch to change gear or sitting idle with window down and revving it a bit. Dunno if its me being a ***** or what?

FF 182
Ok, so the whine is definately from the cam belt area. Possibly then aux tensioner too tight? If so, is it a big job to slacken it off a bit?