ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

GTD, Lupo
Need some help please, i have a Megs G220 but the big backing pad is too big to work on some of the smaller sections. Is it just a case of getting a smaller backing pad then smaller pads? if so does the backing pad need to be megs? or are they a universal fit?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Need some help please, i have a Megs G220 but the big backing pad is too big to work on some of the smaller sections. Is it just a case of getting a smaller backing pad then smaller pads? if so does the backing pad need to be megs? or are they a universal fit?

Any that are for a dual action mate, usually a 5/16"-24 thread

BMW E46 330i Touring
You'll need a smaller backing plate and pad mate, yeah. Doesn't need to be Megs but does need to be for a DA as opposed to Rotary.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
What soft brushes do people recommend for cleaning wheels, places like round the rear boot badge, bullets etc?

Complete noob.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The Black Valet pro ones are a current favourite. Perfect length and stiffness. Envy ones look a tad cheap but very good.

The SV ones are awesome but they can split and can at times be too long on bristles so not bite to them.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
right heres something for you guys, how do you apply PB black hole properly?
iv tried applying it with a few pea sized blobs on a megs applicator, but its not spreading like i thought it would...
its more smearing in lines than ' covering '. even tried using QD with it :(

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Got another one here...

whats the correct way to apply wax? Which applicators etc.

for reference I'm using autoglym hd stuff and whenever I'm "buffing" off so to speak I'm worried I'm actually swirling the car up!?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If youve applied hd wax thin enough, only a light buff with a mf cloth is needed, so you shouldnt have to worry about swirls

Apply it using the supplied red applcators dampened first to help keep the layers thin.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe try a different applicator also. Little spritz of Z6 or similar on the pad from a distance.

Also ideally you want to do HD a panel at a time and remove with a short pile MF. Oh and a little QD to aid removal if you're worried.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I like applying it with the applicator, its the easiest wax I've used when it comes to applying, mainly due to the applicator.

will try using a bit of QD when removing next time.

So far I've done the bonnet, wings and headlights with 2 coats of hd, gonna do the bumper and the sides tomorrow and the back on Tuesday :)

wheres the best place to get c5 and g1 (the glass stuff right?)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ok cool I guess that's the cheapest place to get it?

Is it worth getting grit guards too? Could do with getting it all in the same place

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Oh my...

jemeda8u.jpg

Aucky, Imprezaworks and MatthewR have first refusal on the Satsuma Rock and B22 samples. Will sort out pricing next week.

Twingo Dynamique
Ok I have AF Lather, Imperial and Tripple, and know how to use those.. but i cant decontaminate the car as I dont have clay, or a spray bottle for the Tardis, any recommendations on what to do?

Just go ahead and use the tripple, then when i get clay and spray bottle do a decontaminate, then reapply tripple

or

Dont use tripple, just do my normal wash and wait to use the tripple until after i have decontaminated the car...???

cheers guys :)

BMW E46 330i Touring
Depends how long it is until you can fully decontaminate tbh. There's no harm in using Tripple now but it just won't look as good as it will when you've prepped more.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Spent a few hours doing a mini detail on the other halfs car today. Pleased with the shine from tripple and tough coat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365267046.390601.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365267062.331110.jpg

Mental 172 Cup
I spend an hour or so on the tailgate of the Beemer yesterday, being that I'd never seen the paintwork in the sun I was in for quite a shock. Swirls galore and hazing etc.. So I bought the AF revitalise all in one kit.. It did an awesome job with regards to swirls but now I'm faced with the deeper marks like RDS etc.. I'm basically after a decent compound that I can use to break it down even further and then bring the shine back up with the rest of the gear I have.. Going to buy yellow and orange hex logic pads. So needs to work well with them..

Also does anyone know how hard BMW paint is? I've not gone too mad on it, but I don't have a paint depth gauge anywhere..

Thanks

Ah nice one, Paint Depth Gauge! You even said it in your post, numpty...

I don't have it in Bristol as it's not where I do my detailing, but I'll grab it next time I'm back at my parents' house if you want to use it for checking over the BMW?