ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'd go as far to say of all the really high end waxes I've used or had the pleasure of tryially including vintage and Royale. BL performed and lived up to the hype.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Picking up my freshly refurbed OZs later today and have some C5 to seal them with.

Won't be getting tyres on them til the end of the month, am I wasting my time sealing them now? Easier as they will be spotless so don't need to wash them and they will be off the car anyway, I've seen people say that wheel weights won't stick if I do it before, any truth in this?

@gally etc

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't touch them, lot of handling involved with tyre fitting, just run the risk of affecting the performance. Gloves, oil, sealant etc all over the C5.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Picking up my freshly refurbed OZs later today and have some C5 to seal them with.

Won't be getting tyres on them til the end of the month, am I wasting my time sealing them now? Easier as they will be spotless so don't need to wash them and they will be off the car anyway, I've seen people say that wheel weights won't stick if I do it before, any truth in this?

@gally etc

I'm not sure if it was related, but my wheel weights came off with a soft brush clean the other week,t 1 month after they were balanced (wheels sealed with dlux a year ago).

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just not sure I see it worth the risk. It might be fine. Might hamper the performance.

And wheel weights sticking will be an issue.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Just not sure I see it worth the risk. It might be fine. Might hamper the performance.

And wheel weights sticking will be an issue.
So what's your advise re protecting freshly refurbished wheels? I've got a set to refurb and I've never put anything on a wheel other than a soapy sponge before[emoji38]

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Carpro Dlux. Do it once, do it properly and wash the wheels properly and you're life will be better as no one likes cleaning wheels.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Do the wheels now or at least a week before fitting the tyres. Much easier to deal with with no tyres fitted. And as for oils, wheel soap etc from fitting the tyres it'll just wipe off when you get them home.

As for the weights, they'll stick to anything, even when coated with dlux, c5 and more recently crystal serum light and exo. And that's with any cheap old weight. Only time I've ever had a weight come off is when a friend got carried away with the pressure washer.

As for which sealant, gtechniq C5. Carpro dlux is good, and half the price, but doesn't perform nearly as well.

Clio 182 Trophy
How much time does it save having two people whilst doing a full detail on a car? E.g. one person taping up and waxing, the other DA'ing. Wondering if we could do his TT in a day

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Do the wheels now or at least a week before fitting the tyres. Much easier to deal with with no tyres fitted. And as for oils, wheel soap etc from fitting the tyres it'll just wipe off when you get them home.

As for the weights, they'll stick to anything, even when coated with dlux, c5 and more recently crystal serum light and exo. And that's with any cheap old weight. Only time I've ever had a weight come off is when a friend got carried away with the pressure washer.

As for which sealant, gtechniq C5. Carpro dlux is good, and half the price, but doesn't perform nearly as well.
I gave in and done them anyway, mainly for the first reason you mentioned, for easier not having to deal with tyres, particularly when they will have 255s on

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
So, a few months ago I was thinking of getting some Hydro Lite or Wet Coat, never got round to actually getting some though.

Gonna give the other halfs car a going over at the weekend and I really can't be bothered to apply a wax so going to get some Wet Coat. Do I need to clay before using or will it just bond after a wash. It's never been clayed but again I can't really be bothered and it doesn't need to be perfect.

Evo 5 RS
Personally I think it depends on how bad the car is. In my experience on using on my other halfs car, it will bond to pretty much anything! But you want to be sealing in a protection over the paint, not moss lol

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Personally I think it depends on how bad the car is. In my experience on using on my other halfs car, it will bond to pretty much anything! But you want to be sealing in a protection over the paint, not moss lol

As with everything, something came up and I didn't end up getting round to doing it haha. Her Mini is only 2 years old so it isn't tooo bad but I may get one of them clay mitts so it gets rid of most of it.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Just gave my Iceberg Phase 1 a nice 2 hr clean in and out, then Council turned up to replace a couple slabs, angle grinding away, dust and grit all over the shop. :-(

And he reversed into a lamppost to boot......

M2 Comp
Hi all, my Trophy has been off the road, stored in my garage for the last 2 years. It will be back on the road within the next few weeks hopefully (I've booked a track day at Cadwell to push me into getting it sorted), but before it goes for its MOT, I wanted to get it back to its former glory. I have plenty of products for the exterior, but none for the interior. What would people recommend for giving the interior a deep clean? In particular the Recaros which have always looked a little tired since I had the car. I have a steam cleaner which I have used to clean the interior of my Audi and it seems to do a good job, is that recommended? Any help greatly appreciated.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
So, had a few hours to spare today, so gave the Audi a clean.

Used CarPro Hydro2 Lite & G-Technic G1/2 for the first time. Happy with the results really! Lost light, so couldn't finish off the wheels & trim with D-Lux as planned, also only had time to flick a coat of Zaino Z8 over the body, rather than the planned sealant (AutoFinesse).

The question I have, I'm after some decent interior cleaner - I'm using the AF stuff, but finding it's no good on the seats etc - it's also not that great on the dashboard, it just doesn't look that great, for what's a brand new car. Any other products I could consider using?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin

Used CarPro Hydro2 Lite & G-Technic G1/2 for the first time. Happy with the results really! Lost light, so couldn't finish off the wheels & trim with D-Lux as planned, also only had time to flick a coat of Zaino Z8 over the body, rather than the planned sealant (AutoFinesse).

The question I have, I'm after some decent interior cleaner - I'm using the AF stuff, but finding it's no good on the seats etc - it's also not that great on the dashboard, it just doesn't look that great, for what's a brand new car. Any other products I could consider using?

Carpro Inside

It's on special offer for a 1 litre bottle at the moment on the carpro website

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

I used Carpro inside on the Porsche interior, it came up well. If you want to give it a bit of shine once its clean then go over with AF Dressel mate.

27694475691_a93b9195c0_b.jpg
Porsche Panamera cleaning session. by Scott Raven, on Flickr

27668302032_8e1029fe5d_b.jpg

Not a 320d
I used Carpro inside on the Porsche interior, it came up well. If you want to give it a bit of shine once its clean then go over with AF Dressel mate.

27694475691_a93b9195c0_b.jpg

27668302032_8e1029fe5d_b.jpg

Carpro what mate? Thats looks to have come up well

I usually use 303 for a finishing touch or APC of some sort, interior shampoo, and isopropyl.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's epic mate! That M5 has insane sheeting still. Not used Hydro2 on it yet just washing with plain shampoo and reset also. I'm considering just doing my new company car with it. Just so easy to use!

The fact it has "fillers" in it and has lasted even this long is unreal imo. Just looking for a new reload or similar to come out. I love spray sealants!

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
It's epic mate! That M5 has insane sheeting still. Not used Hydro2 on it yet just washing with plain shampoo and reset also. I'm considering just doing my new company car with it. Just so easy to use!

The fact it has "fillers" in it and has lasted even this long is unreal imo. Just looking for a new reload or similar to come out. I love spray sealants!
Impressive, I might pick some up for the Megane to hide the shite paint for a bit til it gets properly detailed by a Pro later this year LOL

Mini JCW
Hoping this looks alright in the sunlight tomorrow....

33621823262_77ff82fb1c_c.jpg
20170401_175131 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

32935415694_af7c119207_c.jpg
20170401_175207 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

33621817822_3b6a21c32c_c.jpg
20170401_185627 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

33621819242_d4d98aeffa_c.jpg
20170401_185617 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

33778396335_7c672046f6_c.jpg
20170401_185558 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

2 stage correction. Meguiars correction MF pad / compound followed by Chemical Guys Hexalogic black finishing pad / Meguiars 205.

Topped with Definitive Wax 'Pro Edition'

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant

How well does essence+ bead or is it mainly sheeting?

I have a little with Carpro sitting in the basket with essence plus sitting on the fence.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just like anything else these days mate. Sheets better than beads but you can really see the beads like a wax as the water doesn't sit for long.

The ones that are left are like any other product.

The only let down i had from a modern product was the GT stuff a few years back it slow sheeted and beading was non existent. Think it was the first exo liquid.

I'm going for carpro cquartz classic on my new company car. Came highly recommend for gloss and just slightly shorter on hardness and durability of cquk.

I love essence plus. You can do a full car in no time.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Anyone tried this stuff yet?

http://carboncollective.com/product/hybrid-coating-500ml/

Gave my car a full going over yesterday and my the time I was half way through claying it, I couldn't be arsed and lost all enthusiasm. Rushed to get some Collinite 845 on whilst thinking how much easier and happy I'd be if I'd have got some Hydr02 of Wetcoat like I said I was going to ages ago.

It's probably been covered, so please forgive my laziness, but how would you guys rejuvenate a drying towel, specifically a Woolly Mammoth, it's been great for years, but I've noticed recently it's starting to move water around more than absorb it.

I've seen all sorts on DW from hand washing, to white vinegar in the washing machine, just want a straight answer though.

I guess I could extend the question to include my MFs too, if that's any different to a drying towel.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Buy a microfibre wash first then try some other methods if that doesn't work.

I've got MF wash, but it's literally just a bottle with a label on, no instructions. I got it years ago from some car show.

I can already hear you saying "buy a good one"

🙈

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's 10 quid get one from nick smeaton on Instagram. Or Google "twisted drying towel". They've blown me away recently.