ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Clio 182 and Boxster
What kit would you guys recommend for headlight correction?? Did mine today with the Meguiars kit.
Before
60368acc7ec66c1bfcf987ce14090342_zps57c74bd7.jpg

After
24e03b4dc38eb816cc356d4b82e04aa1_zps193c6124.jpg

Took a lot of effort and drivers side not as good as this one.

FF Racing Blue 182
I recently ordered some blue velvet and i got purple haze instead through the door, whats the difference between the two ?

I used it over black hole glaze and it looked great.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
None really except Purple Haze is softer and nicer to use. And old school cool.

Arctic 182
Going to be getting a DAS 6 with hex pads & Meg's/Menz polishes soon (first time!).
Been watching junk mans videos & he says it NEEDS to be done inside for best results. I understand this is for best results & also so the car isn't hot or in sunlight but is there really an issue with doing it on the drive?! I've not got an inside & really want to get into it. Best I could do is a tarp over my existing roofless carport thing. Cheers

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Nah plenty of people do it outside. A Qd might be useful to remove any dust that has settled. Otherwise just make sure its dry, out of the sun and not windy

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
I want a detailing bag, like the AF one, but its out of stock. I don't like the cyc one much, anyone got one that they like and recommend?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
So I got a touch up Paint pen and have filled in some of the scratches that in my opinion looks really very good, my problem now is you can see the lines where I've filled the scratches on as the paint sticks up slightly higher than the car, so I'm looking for some kind of compound to flatten/polish this off? I tried r the dreaded tcut and it worked really very well, alot of the filled scratches are now perfectly smooth and I can barely see them, but it took alot of effort and I heard tcut isn't the best thing to use?

So I guess I'm asking two questions, firstly can anyone recommend me a quite strong cutting polish like tcut that can be applied by hand? Assuming that's the best way to do this, as tcut has worked well so far. And secondly, I need another touch up kit soon, is Renault going to be the best match?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
after something more aggressive that remove the scratches,marks ect rather than just hide them.

Scratches, or swirls? As you can't remove scratches. You can just do your best to 'round them off' and fill them to make them less visible. Swirls, they may be removed by working tripple/srp for ago of while by hand. But I think you'd need dedicated polishes and a machine for complete removal.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
So I got a touch up Paint pen and have filled in some of the scratches that in my opinion looks really very good, my problem now is you can see the lines where I've filled the scratches on as the paint sticks up slightly higher than the car, so I'm looking for some kind of compound to flatten/polish this off? I tried r the dreaded tcut and it worked really very well, alot of the filled scratches are now perfectly smooth and I can barely see them, but it took alot of effort and I heard tcut isn't the best thing to use?

So I guess I'm asking two questions, firstly can anyone recommend me a quite strong cutting polish like tcut that can be applied by hand? Assuming that's the best way to do this, as tcut has worked well so far. And secondly, I need another touch up kit soon, is Renault going to be the best match?

I can only repeat what I've read on here (there's a stone chip filling guide) but; after you've filled the scratches/chips and have the blob I top of your paint, you flat it back with wet and dry paper then polish it up. I can't comment on the polishes as I've only just started using dedicated polishes myself but read up on the menzerna polishes, they're highly rated on here.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I can only repeat what I've read on here (there's a stone chip filling guide) but; after you've filled the scratches/chips and have the blob I top of your paint, you flat it back with wet and dry paper then polish it up. I can't comment on the polishes as I've only just started using dedicated polishes myself but read up on the menzerna polishes, they're highly rated on here.

Hmm reluctant to use wet and dry! Might stick with the tcut for now and then use wet and dry if it really is too slow!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Going to give the girlfriends Abarth a going over when her parents are away so will have the garage to myself for a week.

Got tardis for tar remover, was going to get some citrus power too. G1 for windows.

What would people recommend for plastics?

Want something that will give it a high gloss/wet sort of look. I have R222/AG HD as waxes to use.

Was thinking of Zaino Z2 or AF Tripple to put on before the wax?

Anything I'm missing, or that people would advise?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Some iron/fallout remover such as iron-x would be a good shout.

The trim dressing you describe sound like AF Revive. Can't go wrong with tripple tbh.

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys,
I've been asked by a family member to try and restore some colour to their newly acquired runabout. It's a hideous colour and some of them are going/have already turned white - I've tried to capture some of the faded parts of the car in the photo's below however it is much more noticeable in the flesh.

What would you recommend that will help? I've got various different polishes/t-cut/wax etc etc but I thought I'd get some advise first.

IMAG3409_zpsaxy16tct.jpg

IMAG3410_zpspw5uhnsy.jpg

IMAG3412_zpsi6xlr4en.jpg

Cheers :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I just knew it was going to be a Pug before even seeing the badge.... That colour is awful and I see so many faded cars in that colour.... If it's lacquered with my limited knowledge I'm not sure there's a great deal that can be done to restore it.

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
I just knew it was going to be a Pug before even seeing the badge.... That colour is awful and I see so many faded cars in that colour.... If it's lacquered with my limited knowledge I'm not sure there's a great deal that can be done to restore it.

Its hideous isn't it!

I think i'm just going to give it a seriously good clean, decon and claying then try some Meguiar's compound polish thing I have.

It can't look any worse can it!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I've never paid it much attention but is it hazing of the lacquer causing it to fade?

Fiesta ST3
gally just seen your write up on dw of strata on a sb st - very nice!

what do you think of it compared to cquk?

also after 12 months do you reapply strata over the too or would have to polish first to get rid of exists left of the excisting layer?

172 cup
Anyone recommend any decent microfibres for removing wax an general detailing need to stock back up on some decent cloths

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
Don't know about everyone else but I like the Costco ones. Cost me £9.99 +vat for 36 last weekend. They're quite deep on one side too this lot, quite like them, and at that price are pretty much one use disposable...

172 cup
Don't know about everyone else but I like the Costco ones. Cost me £9.99 +vat for 36 last weekend. They're quite deep on one side too this lot, quite like them, and at that price are pretty much one use disposable...

Can I buy them online as there isn't a Costco near me ?