ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Another one for your collective wisdom!

I've got a car that will be going for a bare metal respray soon.

What is the best method for finishing the paint off? Do I fit all the brightwork etc, then do it, or do it then fit the brightwork? Latter seems to make sense, but I'm worried about damage whilst the accessories are going on!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nothing better than polishing panels with no bits and bobs to polish around, do the main work first then finish off after build up. :)

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
I noticed it last night.

Cos we talk so much rubbish there was too much to keep it as a sub forum, exterior and bodywork couldn't keep up with us.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
For the Clio Trophy I've settled on BOS over Amigo which I found was brilliant whilst the car was not being used much but I think I will be needing something a little more long lasting for the winter. I think I would still prefer the look and action of a wax but would listen to different options so what is hard wearing and looks fantastic on red.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nice problem to have mate. Plenty of solid winter waxes out there. I personally opt for ceramic sealants under waxes now. Waxes have been left behind a little in the winter stakes.

Something like AG HD is very good and very durable. For the money it still stands up. Few different choices. Zaino?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I really rated AG HD Wax on the Trophy mate. For a cheaper wax, I love it.

5796731273_0a83224f35_z.jpg

Golf GT & A4 Avant
for pure ease of application and ability to top up in 5minutes should weather allow, maybe consider GTechniq C2 or C1.5. They do help with the self cleaning. granted may not look the best on red but for £10-15 is a viable option.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Thanks guys, I do have a pot of AG HD that I've never used and was going to sell but have also thought about the Zaino range. Ceramic sealants? I have a garage to work in so that is not going to limit what I use but do like the cleaning/waxing process.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What wax to keep, I currently own;
Autofinesse Desire - 1 of 20 original pots. Love everything about this wax and is exactly what I look for.
Autofinesse Spirit - was my first premium wax purchase before winning Desire. really like it but Desire does everything that little bit better
Zymol Glasur - quite like it, the feel, the use, the water behaviour but think I prefer the harder paste wax to the soft buttery consistency.
Zymol Concours 2oz sampler pot from the holiday kit. looks awesome but I can't be bothered to fully correct my current cars and don't do any other cars special enough to warrant what this can offer. also durability is average, when it starts to degrade it drops like a bomb and is finished

Durability is am important factor for me, as i'm lazy and can't always regularly top up. I'm keeping Desire, like it soo much been applying a couple of layers to my new crash helmet. Glasur I will always be able to sell but offers something different to Desire. Spirit gives good strong protection but is just that bit to similar to Desire and will be harder / cheaper to sell than Glasur even though there's more left. Concourse. Is wasted on me if I'm honest but had no interest in it at all, not even cheeky low offers

What to keep alongside Desire?

Hand wash, or cold machine wash with non-bio. Drying is where problems arise as a tumble dryer will reverse the charge/static, thus rendering them useless. Air dry only.

You're clothes do the same as they are spun and crammed together.

What do you do wen you remove items from the washing machine? Because I shake the living daylights out of them to prevent creases and make it easier to iron.

Do the same.

had my first go with my new da today with menzerna 106fa (chemical guys hexalogic white pad) and prima amigo (chemical guys hexalogic blue pad).
It has removed the swirls (I think - sun went down lol) but there is one very light scratch that it (obviously) didn't touch - what is the next step up pad and product I can use on it? Tried to take a pic of it for you but the camera won't pick it up

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Applying a glaze under any wax or sealant is likely to affect the bond and durability. But some have some only have minimal affect to still give decent durability

Amigo is one that seems to be doing pretty well for those that have used it

I'm looking at getting a das-6 kit as I want to get a bit more into detailing however I'm not sure what products to use as I have an 8l S3 (in black) and believe the paints harder than clios? As a newbie what problems am I likely to encounter?

Yes the paint is hard. You'll get somewhere with a DA but it will need a lot of patience. You'd be able to stay on top of the swirls with a DA but a full correction is likely to take several passes.

Mine was in a state, and like yours is a colour that shows every little mark.

I'm glad I've got a rotary!

Cheers JD, Would the below kit be a good starting point for minor correction?

[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-dual-action-polisher/das-6-dual-action-polisher-menzerna-intro-kit/prod_721.html[/FONT][FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI] It's got the usual swirls for a car it's age and just want to freshen it up! [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]
[/FONT]

[FONT='.Helvetica NeueUI']Out of interest, what have you done to your S3? Is it an 8l or 8p?[/FONT]

Corsa Van. Meh.
Can anyone recommend the best way to keep the convertible roof clean now it is protected.

I spent the weekend giving it a thorough clean with Gtechniq W2 and protected with i1 and I don't want my wash procedure to ruin the longevity.

Is it best to just snow foam and rinse the roof as normal?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The i1 should last okay mate just wash with decent materials.

Re-apply now and again though.

Cheers JD, Would the below kit be a good starting point for minor correction?

[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-dual-action-polisher/das-6-dual-action-polisher-menzerna-intro-kit/prod_721.html[/FONT][FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI] It's got the usual swirls for a car it's age and just want to freshen it up! [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Out of interest, what have you done to your S3? Is it an 8l or 8p?[/FONT]

Yeah 3.02 and FF are great polishes, but I'm not so sure on the pads. Weird combo because compounding is really something reserved for rotaries in my mind. The 3M kit really is best for "newbs", as it's colour coordinated. Buy from I4D as they are superb, but try and get the 3M pads and polishes (blue and yellow).