ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Desk mounted arcade style PC power button... type thing...

This is just a little project I thought would be cool. To save me from reaching all the way under the desk to turn the PC on, but mostly because arcade buttons are cool :tongueout:

IMG_0081_zpstpijbuvi.jpg

I soldered on some audio cable and connectors so that it can easily be disconnected. I used 2.5mm jacks so that I don't mix them up with 3.5mm audio ones.
IMG_0083_zpsjlxoqyxf.jpg

The female socket fitted perfectly in a standard grill hole on the tower
IMG_0086_zpsnawvna2n.jpg

Inside the tower I used one of these power switch extensions so that the standard switch works too.
maplin-2-pin-male-to-2-pin-female-io-extension-cable_zpswrmechjb.jpg

My set up
IMG_0080_zps9y2y5uxr.jpg

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and I've got one of those extension leads that powers up all the accessories with the tower. So when I press the arcade button, it brings on the monitors and speakers too :smiley:

But, when you want to turn everything off, presumably you do a soft shutdown of the PC, so then when you've done that and press the button to turn off the peripherals, doesn't that turn the PC back on?

I've thought about doing something like this but never liked doing 'hard' shutdowns on stuff like audio equipment.

But, when you want to turn everything off, presumably you do a soft shutdown of the PC, so then when you've done that and press the button to turn off the peripherals, doesn't that turn the PC back on?

I've thought about doing something like this but never liked doing 'hard' shutdowns on stuff like audio equipment.
Na the extension can detect a soft shutdown too. The peripherals do whatever the tower is doing (both ON or both OFF) no matter how I choose to shut down