ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser

Clio 172
As above! I'm not skimping out i just want info on it. Do I have to change this when i do my cambelt water pump etc? If so why? Is it not just like a normal pulley? Why are these cars so bloody fiddly good job it gives me barrels of fun on the tracks. Cheers guys

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Hi
Its not imperative but I have 2 clios with belts done recently and the dephaser has started to rattle. If you come to resell I imagine it would effect the price..

Clio 172
Defo wont be getting sold its here to stay haha! Right so sod it I'll do that when I get the cams done in couple months as car runs fine no noises hahahahahaha well it did LOL

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Neither the dephasor or the water pump on a 172 really need doing unless they show signs of a problem.
But obviously there is nothing wrong with fitting new as a pre-emptive measure!

Clio 172
Ohhh i thought that was just standard procedure with any timing kit? Its 25 from euro be stupid not too ey chi

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ohhh i thought that was just standard procedure with any timing kit? Its 25 from euro be stupid not too ey chi

The pump is quite a pain to change, so while the parts might only be 25 quid (for a nasty pattern one) the labour is likely to be more as well but speak to whoever is doing it for you.

I personally would sooner have a 100K mile old gen renault one than a new cheap pattern one though.

FF Clio 182
Always change the dephaser when changing the cambelt, even if it isn't showing any signs of being worn. No point paying £450 for a cambelt change for your dephaser to start making noise and having to rip it all off and do it again.

As for water pumps; it's isn't very common for them to fail, if you want to pay the extra £50 for one them that's fair enough. The water pump is only driven by the aux belt it isn't massively expensive to get it replaced later on down the line

Clio 172
Ohhh i see i thought it was on the timing! Prob just leave it and 450? Clearly my friends are very kind to me! It's only 150 max for a kit and as for genuine parts mate ive always used euro and never had anything ive replaced re done! That's not me being tight if i was a millionaire id still use euro etc! most parts are as good as renault only dealers stick a massive bill on it only time i use them is if i have to! Cheers for your input guys

Always change the dephaser when changing the cambelt, even if it isn't showing any signs of being worn. No point paying £450 for a cambelt change for your dephaser to start making noise and having to rip it all off and do it again.

As for water pumps; it's isn't very common for them to fail, if you want to pay the extra £50 for one them that's fair enough. The water pump is only driven by the aux belt it isn't massively expensive to get it replaced later on down the line

everyone has been scare mongered into changing the dephaser at every belt service, if servicing has been kept on top of and you know the history they last a long time.

waterpump failure are becoming more common now due to age

Ohhh i see i thought it was on the timing! Prob just leave it and 450? Clearly my friends are very kind to me! It's only 150 max for a kit and as for genuine parts mate ive always used euro and never had anything ive replaced re done! That's not me being tight if i was a millionaire id still use euro etc! most parts are as good as renault only dealers stick a massive bill on it only time i use them is if i have to! Cheers for your input guys

Are you on crack?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
On the 197 and 200 version of the F4R engine the water pump is also a cambelt idler, and hence should be changed when the cambelt is changed, perhaps thats where people are getting confused?

Clio 172
My mechanic will tell me if its worth doing was just after input of clio people. As for am i on crack, dont speak to me like i know you cause comments like that dont go down to well over here! So speak how you expected to be spoken to or dont comment! Simple as that!

FF Clio 182
everyone has been scare mongered into changing the dephaser at every belt service, if servicing has been kept on top of and you know the history they last a long time.

waterpump failure are becoming more common now due to age

Not really, I would rather just buy a new one for peace of mind knowing it has been done. Only £150 every 5 years or 72k miles.

Clio 172
Wasn't being funny there but uncalled for comment pal! It's my money you wanna spunk money in renault pocket thats your choice im stating the snide parts ive always used do the job if its wrong take it back you know that before it's back together anyway. And cheers im sure it will be done by weekend and defo not 450 lighter or i wouldn't be laughing at the mistake i made lol

FF Clio 182
Wasn't being funny there but uncalled for comment pal! It's my money you wanna spunk money in renault pocket thats your choice im stating the snide parts ive always used do the job if its wrong take it back you know that before it's back together anyway. And cheers im sure it will be done by weekend and defo not 450 lighter or i wouldn't be laughing at the mistake i made lol

Dephaser change is up to you, personably I would just get it changed.

Clio 172
Yeh I'm not a Scrooge if it needs doing it will be done mate, just im gonna cam it in near future so it's all gonna have to be done again anyway :( if i was rocker fella id do it all now bit i aint so it is what it is. Like i said if people say they get noisey i would know but seems fine. See what mechanic says as he will be doing it both times anyway! Poor sod hahahahaha

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As for am i on crack, dont speak to me like i know you cause comments like that dont go down to well over here! So speak how you expected to be spoken to or dont comment! Simple as that!

You're a bit sensitive aren't you?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Yeh I'm not a Scrooge if it needs doing it will be done mate, just im gonna cam it in near future so it's all gonna have to be done again anyway :( if i was rocker fella id do it all now bit i aint so it is what it is. Like i said if people say they get noisey i would know but seems fine. See what mechanic says as he will be doing it both times anyway! Poor sod hahahahaha

You're off you're rocker fella.

Clio 172
Call it one of my bad days im not always angry haha! Some would say but having such a good friend its not really a massive deal its why we get up each day, to make money to spend it ;)