ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser help??

172 cup
Ok so here it is, I bought my cup about a month ago, it's had the Cambelt done fairly recently but it didn't have the dephaser done at the same time (which I knew) the car was in such good nick I had to get it, anyway when I push the tiniest bit on the throttle there's a annoying whining sound which I take is the dephaser? (please correct me if I'm wrong.)

my next question is if I'm going to change the dephaser what parts are worth changing while it's all off and where are the best place to get parts

also im at 72k, if it is the dephaser am I ok to drive like it for a while?

thanks in advance !!

172 cup
Dephaser is only noisy at idle. I've never heard anything.else.
What sort of whine is it.

Sounds like really suttle whistling like I say i can only hear it when I touch the throttle as little as possible more in 3rd 4th and 5th as soon as I put my foot down anymore it goes?

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
They do have a little whistle underload when driving. Tensioner collapsed maybe? When was this changed?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
They do whistle a bit. but check the inlet manifold for leaks.
if its a whine not a whistle could be a over tensioned belt.

172 cup
It's hard to describe as it is suttle but thinking about it id say more of a whistle than whine

cambelt kit and aux belt fitted at 62k (now at 72k)

Easiest way to test for leak from inlet?

rstuned 182ff bg
yeh its not all the time, but some times when i'm driving with the window down a little thats when you can hear the whistling, my nephew even commented on his doing the same about 4 week ago.

Birchdown

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup / 172 Exclusive
With it being a cup there will be no auxiliary belt tensioners, as long as it has no a/c. It could be the alternator but without hearing the noise it's impossible to diagnose! As mentioned dephaser noises go when the engine speed goes above 1200 rpm so I think you can rule that out!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Whistling at higher RPM is usually due to the downpipe to CAT fire ring blowing in my experience. Of course, as above by Birchdown, on a Cup it could be an aux belt issue also and really needs looking at to say for sure.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mine used to get a small sort of whiny/tinny noise under slow acceleration, there was bits of crap in my airbox. cleared it out, been fine ever since

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Whine when the car is idling and then you open the throttle a little to me sounds like you are describing normal operation of the power steering pump which are quite noisey even when new.

A4 Quattro, 172+182
I agree with hipwell. My 182 has a noisy PAS pump. Thinking of changing it soon. I good way to test this is to giv ur clio some stick round a round about and as th pump is under some load it will whine it's T*TS off. Also like previously mentioned IF ur cup has AC (which it shouldn't) ur pre tensioner on th aux belt could b whining. A way to check this also is to spray a little bit of WD40 into th bearing whilst it's running and it will shut up for a while. Make sure u use a straw on th can and don't go crazy with it cuz u don't want it on th belts really.