ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Defrosting in the morn..... would this work??

This morning my son de-iced my windscreen when he did his. Half an hour later it was frozen up again before I went to work. Just leave it running in the morning to warm it up properly before pulling out of my drive. I always sit in it as I live on the fringe of the hood.

320d
I used the warm water thing this morning but was in a rush so it didnt get to tepid and i had icecles off my cills all day and it refroze straight away on my windows. When its tepids is fine tbh, its walm enough to keep them defrosted untill the car warms up.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
I think its been said before but rainex works well at minimising the severity of the frost on the windscreen and I also have the antimist wipes for the inside and again they work well. Just whack the heater on for a min and its cleared.

Focus ST
I have rain-x on my windscreen, Thinking about it... it's actually been better since i put it on

172 Race Car
I have a transit with a heated front screen for work so i push a button and 30 seconds later drive away

Iceberg 172
Along with auto lights - that should be compulsory on all new vehicles.

Cost isn't really an issue to the manufacturer if they all have to do it. :)

D.

Too true considering the number of dicks you see first thing in the morning driving along peering out of a letter-box sized scrape-hole..........

Those heated screens are nice. I personally don't like them though as I can clearly see the elements. Also you still need to scrape the side windows anyway.

To another point - the water won't re-frezze if you clean it off with your wipers. I'm a warm water or scraper man myself. f**k leaving the engine ticking over on freezing cold oil for 10 minutes. Start engine, scrape, drive off.

Iceberg 172
On the plus side, I've just been out to move the cars around and there's cloud cover, +1°C and not a sign of ice or frost anywhere, even on't top of a hill in Leeds!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
^^ Remote start should have neutral position sensor ?!

Warm water in a jug .. apply liberally to windows ... get in .. start engine .. drive off.

Warm water heats glass so it doesn't steam up !

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i tend to piss on my screen, just the rite temp, or if i have the runs i will always give that ago, but u do have to use your wipers (not on full speed though)

Da

Less
My guess is that it has a neutral switch.

I'm a sit in till defrosted kind guy myself, with a bit of scrapage only takes 2 mins! :)

fad

Clio 182 FF
But you can't drive it (or shouldn't) until the windscreen is de-frosted and/or de-misted, which is the whole point of the thread! :rolleyes:

Use your imagination a bit here. Set the demister setting on full blast whilst its running quickly start scraping the ice off and by the time you set off to drive the majority of the windscreen will be clear.

This is what I meant oposed to leaving the car to sit there and idling for ages. Also if you actually refer to the handbook it does say in cold conditions to drive the car immediately oposed to letting it sit there to warm up.

"Navy" N17 TWO
i asked him about that, he said it's the toad ai606 (with addons) - i'm getting one now! :rasp:

Reason I'm asking;

I've got the Clifford equivalent (without the remote start option - it states in the Clifford manual that remote start voids the Thatcham insurance recommendations)

172 Race Car
With remote start iirc you have to have a key in the car in a secure box for the standard imobilliser

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
I always start the car/van just before i eat my breaky and then head out throw the lunchbox in and away, even in the sumertime! my dads always out milking so hed see anyone trying to make off with the car!

When i get my 306 d-turbo for a runaround, id like to get this remote start fitted!

"Navy" N17 TWO
I always start the car/van just before i eat my breaky and then head out throw the lunchbox in and away, even in the sumertime! my dads always out milking so hed see anyone trying to make off with the car!

When i get my 306 d-turbo for a runaround, id like to get this remote start fitted!

A 30sick ? :dead:
Forget the alarm, let them steal it! :rasp:

mk3 golf gti
With remote start iirc you have to have a key in the car in a secure box for the standard imobilliser

almost right, they take the chip out of one of the keys and secure it near the imobilliser.

and leaving it in gear, it wont start, has to be in neutral!

awesome bit of kit, very handy to have the car fully warmed up before you set off.

Tangoed Works
get a better car with a heated front screen. takes all of 30 secs plus one go with the window wipers!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
A solution to the original question.

Start the car with your 1st key. Get out, goto the passenger side, get in, lock the doors with the central locking button, open the passenger door again (I can't remember if this unlocks both doors and boot though, if it does, then press the lock button whilst the passenger door is open, one of them works).

Then get out and lock the door with your key.

I did this a couple of times when I had a few minutes to spare in the morning and didn't fancy getting in a cold car. I live on a very quiet road so didn't (and don't) consider it a risk.

But with regard to the whole thing. I just throw some hot water on the screen. Though the other day when it was -8 according to iPhone, by the time I'd jumped back in the car the water was freezing from the bottom of the screen to the top.

Reminded me of 'The Perfect Storm'

RenaultSport Clio 172
Well by the time you've de-iced the windows with the scraper it should be a fairly warm place to be! ;)

This is the way I do it :) Takes 2 minutes to scrape off every window and with the air blowing up to windscreen you won't get it fogged up and can drive off as soon as you've de-iced.

Also love how on mine there's a rubberised grip on the wheel so you don't have to take your gloves off. My last car had a really slippery wheel and I ended up with really cold fingers because I couldn't steer in fleecy gloves. :S

"Navy" N17 TWO
Keep a can of De-Icer in the pocket behind the drivers seat
Wear 2 pairs of socks
Man-up
Keep your insurance valid & roll on! :D

Mini Cooper S sport
Along with auto lights - that should be compulsory on all new vehicles.

Cost isn't really an issue to the manufacturer if they all have to do it. :)

D.

Someone just needs to persuade Ford to part with the patent!

My car's still been frozen solid at 10.30 everyday this week (yes I start work late) which is unheard of. I don't have any de-icer so I just start the engine, stick the heaters on and scrape with a credit card, jobs a good 'un.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
I think there's a rule where Ford are the only ones with a heated windscreen for now but it expires soon so anyone can do it

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Just throw cold water on the screen.Ive been doing it for years.As long as the cold water isnt above 60 deg f it wont break it

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Or....

When leaving your car for the night (when you know its going to be icy) Open both your doors and the boot and let the cold air in for a few minutes then in the morning none of your windows will have ice on them :D

Not a piss take btw