ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decent free antivirus?

BMW E46 330i Touring
I've always stuck with Norton, as I've never had any issues, but the damn think just eats up memory.

Anyone use any decent free/cheap antivirus software that's smaller and will run in the background with less slowdown?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
AVG pisses me off, i have it and everytime u start ya computer, it scans the whole thing which takes about hour and a half, i normally just cancel the scan, really annoyin though!:mad:

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
so how do ya turn off the scanning thing because its doing it everytime i sartup???? i had a look cant see where to disable it????

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Open AVG . Click on control centre / hightlight scheduler / scheduled tasks / double click test plan in basic mode / untick if missed , start immediately when computer start up .

avgschedule.jpg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ Pmsl ;) You obviously missed the one with the sheep and the wellies then :eek:

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Oh no, I seen them, just assumed you were from Wales or something - I see its Lancs though ;)

Clio 182
AVG is the worst of the major free anti-virus packages... no if's, no but's, it just is. Awful detection and just as bad cleaning, proved in tests by major AV review websites, and on machines i've cleaned before that had it on.

Avast! is better, and provides higher overall system protection but a more unfriendly user-interface.

Avira is the best, but has a tendency to detect false positives.

Personally i'd go with Avast!.

Clio 172, Audi A4 S-Line
mcafee has had 1 year free deal for ages through natwest.. www.nwolb.com then press logout and you'll see you can sign up to mcafee for a years free subscription..

AVG is rubbish

Tesla MP3 2021
AVG is good for a "free" piece of kit...

But Kaspersky FTW :). Just get a commercial licence of ebay for about £4 - £5 - thats as good as free ;)

mcafee has had 1 year free deal for ages through natwest.. www.nwolb.com then press logout and you'll see you can sign up to mcafee for a years free subscription..

AVG is rubbish

I never thought I'd see someone say AVG is rubbish in the same sentence as suggesting McAfee is suitable.. really. :eek:

Octy VRS
I never thought I'd see someone say AVG is rubbish in the same sentence as suggesting McAfee is suitable.. really. :eek:

pmsl, probably funniest thing ive read on here in a few days tbh!
Likewise. I've had McAfee and Norton, both were shite. Since switching to AVG I've never had any problems and it's no where near as bulky.

1 Series Coupe
AVG free! I'm not currently using it. But when this last subscription of Bullguard runs out, AVG will be my next port of call!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Thanks for the advice guys... I'm currently trying to solve a new PC problem! See the new thread if you're feeling charitable!

Renaultsport Clio 182 ff
AVG Free, is good

but i have had a virus on a machine running Norton, and another whilst running Mcafee, and also managed to get a bad virus whilst running AVG FREE.

Now pay for Bullguard and pay, superb all in package!

182 ff
had norton and picked up 3 viruses got avg payment version and has cleared all of them so im happy althou i might look into this avast

Im currently trying to get Symantec (Norton) of my sisters laptop. Its bloody impossible!
Its not even in the remove programs list in the control panel!

Avast is the worse application I've used to date in terms of anti-virus - it even seems worse on resources than Sophos (and that's saying something).

AVG Free in my opinion is the best free one.. :p