ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

decat or sport cat?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
pretty self explanitory, whats the better option ? and would a sports cat be as loud as a decat ?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
been looking online and i cant find anywhere that does a decat for a 1.2 clio :/ decat out any of the other clios aint gonna fit is it ?

Evo 8 MR
Think your only option is custom.

Don't think you'll find anywhere that makes a sports cat for the 1.2 either, it's just not made for performance.

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Don't bother decating a 1.2 it'll make f**k all difference.

Seconded....

If you feel you REALLY have to, its probably easier to gut a standard cat & keep your old one for MOT's.

Best way to make your car a LOT faster? Sell it and buy a faster car. ;)

MK3 GTI golf 16v
well, cant afford new car.
its not for performance anyway, basicly i just fitted a cat back system and it sounds real nice but is in no way loud, and wanted to make it louder. appart from decat is there any other options i have ? cheers

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Why do you want it louder? It will make a lot of noise and not go nowhere fast? If you want to listen to something good put a cd in the stereo!

Or at least have a good-sounding car - scooby, Vee-motor, etc...

"Navy" N17 TWO
K-tec do a sports cat

Which is f**king AWESOME! :hail:

Accompanied with their supersport recessed system - a nice growl when you want it and not too intrusive in the cabin
Exactly the way I wanted it to be :approve:

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Which is f**king AWESOME! :hail:

Accompanied with their supersport recessed system - a nice growl when you want it and not too intrusive in the cabin
Exactly the way I wanted it to be :approve:

Shame its £300!!!!

Black Gold Trophy
well, cant afford new car.
its not for performance anyway, basicly i just fitted a cat back system and it sounds real nice but is in no way loud, and wanted to make it louder. appart from decat is there any other options i have ? cheers

Chop a silencer out and put a straight pipe in it's place then! If all you want is noise why are you even entertaining the idea of a sports cat?

Mk5 golf gti
sports cat are far far better than a decat

dont have to f**k about payin someone to put the cat back on at mot time

and you get a better sound without the drone of a cat

only get decat if you cant afford a sports cat IMO

260% JCW
sports cat are far far better than a decat

dont have to f**k about payin someone to put the cat back on at mot time

and you get a better sound without the drone of a cat

only get decat if you cant afford a sports cat IMO

I can afford both and still got a decat, and as for fitting you don't have to pay anyone. Get off your backside and fit it yourself, its only 4 bolts and one/two lambdas.

As stated before though, don't think id bother on a 1.2.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
i want it louder because i paid £200 odd pound for it and its no louder than the standard system, sounds nice, but is not loud at all. the only silencers in the system are one in the new back box ( which i cant get out) and the cat. so only option is decat basicly. unless someone knows how to get baffles out a stainless steel back box ?

260% JCW
If thats the case, Source a 2nd hand cat and smash the internals out of it or get the cat chopped out and a striaght bit of pipe put in its place.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
yeah that sounds like a good idea, just litteraly drill the s**t out of everything inside?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
Yarp!

Did my dCi's with a footlong 20mm masonry drill... :evil:

sweet, it work well then ? i was so disapointed with my cat back system, sounds amazing but just isnt loud at all :( hopefully this will do the trick :p

MKV GTI
Neither imo.

Iv had both a sports cat (Which i wish i never bought as it fails MOT 9 times out of 10 and makes no benifit to how the car drives) and a decat which i currently have fitted and that makes the car sound like a chav mobile and decreaeses fuel consumtion again for negliable gains (not to mention insurance issues), hence why im fitting my oem cat the second the weather brightens up.

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
sweet, it work well then ? i was so disapointed with my cat back system, sounds amazing but just isnt loud at all :( hopefully this will do the trick :p

Did indeed! Royal pain in the * getting the thing off tho, dCi cat's are mounted underneath the turbo, down the back of the engine... :S

Cheap at half the price... best "alter" a secondhand one & keep your old one for MOT's... Not a problem on mine as:

- Diesels dont have an MOT emissions test as such, only to check they dont chuck out too much black smoke

- My Neighbour owns his own garage & does my MOT. :cool:

Evo 8 MR
I forgot about the K-tec one, after reading that it's a waste of time removing the cat, just leave it as is tbh.

If you've spunked money on a new system just stick with it.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
my mate said about just smashing the baffles out the back box? easy to do or could i end up f**king my back box up ?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
means mot annoyances though dont it, surely getting rid of the baffles in the back box would do same sorta thing noise wise. or would it be way to loud?

Neither imo.

Iv had both a sports cat (Which i wish i never bought as it fails MOT 9 times out of 10 and makes no benifit to how the car drives) and a decat which i currently have fitted and that makes the car sound like a chav mobile and decreaeses fuel consumtion again for negliable gains (not to mention insurance issues), hence why im fitting my oem cat the second the weather brightens up.

what sports cat did you have?

Listerine & Poledo

when you say "loud" do you mean "broken"?

doing this to a 1.2 is a pointless excercise

MK3 GTI golf 16v
when you say "loud" do you mean "broken"?

i mean, the exhaust has made it sound nice, but its no louder than the standard system. so i want to make it a bit louder ( not horrendously ) only silencers are the cat and the back box. so options are decat or smash the baffles out the back box.
how strenous is it to remove the baffles ? any help appreciated