ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

decat exhaust is it illegal on street?

clio sport
How can cops tell if I got a decat .also is there an easy way getting a decat fitted for a year and than just before mot remove cat back.

Clio 182 FF cup'd
Say again? They are not road legal I think the only thing the police can do is issue you with a form that means the car has to be MOT'd again within 10 days or something?

It's not that hard to find a MOT place that will over look the decat ;)

Clio 182
Its a real gray area with lots of people saying different things. Basically, in order to be road legal, your car must meet certain emissions regulations. No cat, bad emissions, not legal. Simple as that really. Just a question of whether or not you want to take the risk. I read on piston heads that if you get pulled over by an emissions tester then you can get a seriously hefty fine and a limited number of rozzers carry the kit (mainly BMW X5's and that kind of thing). I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles and I've never been pulled over and tested so based on that i'd say its pretty unlikely. As far as insurance is concerned, yes alot of companys will allow you to declare it as a modification and quite happily take your money for the premium. Yes sometimes following a shunt they may wish to send an investigator to ensure that you were covered and IF they noticed that it was decatted, some may have clauses in their T's & C's that state that the car must be roadworthy (able to pass an mot) or otherwise so I guess in court they could wriggle out of covering you. After all, they are in the business of avoiding pay outs. I'm not sure if doing something to your car that invalidates your insurance would constitute 'driving without insurance' from a criminal point of view?? Can anyone answer this one?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Don't know about you lot over there but over here the PSNI can have a car put through an MOT "there & then" via their mobile MOT unit or even have a centre opened if the car is THAT rediculous!
Happened one night where I live and 8 cars had to be towed home! FLOL

182 Turbo Project
I don't believe it is illegal to have a decat.

Only if it fails an emission test, then it becomes illegal as the car is not fit for use.

This is my understanding anyway.

Only if it fails an emission test, then it becomes illegal as the car is not fit for use.

Exactly right. It's having a car that exceeds the legal emissions that's illegal, not if you have a cat or not.

I've been pulled for an 'emissions' test before.

Told the lad to f'k off cause diesels don't get tested for emissions. :approve:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Insurance companies pay out 99% of the time mods aren't declared.

What you don't know is they will charge you the difference for the length of time you've had the policy. Same if you don't declare points.

I usually don't pass on information like that but it's everywhere on the net anyway.

Again this is the risk you take not declaring stuff. Declare everything, cover your arse.

172 cup, Impreza P1
The fact is without a cat you won't pass all the emission tests so it is illegal for a car registered after 1992 iirc not to have a cat.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E

Correct.

The fact is without a cat you won't pass all the emission tests so it is illegal for a car registered after 1992 iirc not to have a cat.

Wrong. I had a car in for MOT today with a decat fitted and it passed emissions fine. (No I dont do the actual test, someone does them for us) Had a few cars do the same.

clio sport
ok There r some who drive with decat. But now I know It's a risk which notworth it. Though it would sound good. Sports cats r ridicolusly high price but an option plus pass mot.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
The law is this; if the car passes an emissions test, CAT or no CAT then it is legal. That's why insurance companies let you declare de cat pipes.

I did some research into it a few years back for another car i had and that was the conclusion.

ClioSport 172 Cup
Its not illegal by law to have a decat. The people who set rules about emissions are the DVLA, not the police. The police don't do anything about decats unless they are accompanied by a vosa emissions officer, who is authorised to test the car.

clio sport
99 percent of cars havent got a hope in hell of passing an emmisions test at mot times with a decat on ,two of my mates are mot testers the reading are stupidly high with no cat on

clio 182
My last impreza went through the mot just fine without cats, it had two on from the factory that just had to come off.

Clio 197
Its not illegal by law to have a decat. The people who set rules about emissions are the DVLA, not the police. The police don't do anything about decats unless they are accompanied by a vosa emissions officer, who is authorised to test the car.

SO if you got tested on the roadside and it was high (you had a decat) would you be ordered to have it restested at an MOT station at a later date ? This would give you time to get the CAT back on?

You often read stories of cars passing an MOT with a decat when normally they require one - i have no clue how this happens ..is this because of "felxible" MOT testers?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Bottom line is they generally are illegal, as most cars would fail an emissions test with a decat. If your car was tested at the roadside and failed you would have a non roadworthy car, which I would of thought would mean that the Police could seize the vehicle and could give you a hefty fine and points? Not 100%, but by my logic that could happen.

Insurance is a whole other issue.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Someone accidently fitted a decat to my car the week after it passed it's mot.

I have to laugh, it failed the emissions test even with the cat in place.

You can imagine what it's like now.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Bottom line is they generally are illegal, as most cars would fail an emissions test with a decat. If your car was tested at the roadside and failed you would have a non roadworthy car, which I would of thought would mean that the Police could seize the vehicle and could give you a hefty fine and points? Not 100%, but by my logic that could happen.

Insurance is a whole other issue.

Surely you could just say sorry officer / vosa bloke my cat must be buggered, 14 day producer to rectify problem? Its not like you havent got any insurance/license and the car is still technically safe to drive, its only emissions??

Listerine & Poledo
How can cops tell if I got a decat?

The car will sound broken, from miles away, even at standstill.

Better off kicking off your backbox altogether, same end result, but at least the emissions from the centre seciton will be cleansed.

Or just leave it all be

120d M Sport
Someone accidently fitted a decat to my car the week after it passed it's mot.

I have to laugh, it failed the emissions test even with the cat in place.

You can imagine what it's like now.

Oh. Much the same story here. Old bangers!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
My punto had a decat, when it was cold it failed the emissions test badly, I took it out and kicked the absolute s**t out of it and it passed with flying colours.

The thing about the insurance not paying out becuase of the emissions failing is b****cks. An M.O.T only proves a car is road worthy at the time of the test. So now you're saying is a car is near mot due date and it crashes it won't get paid out because something on it would fail an mot LOL.