ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

De-cat truth

182 ff cup packs
Wow this threads turned into a hot one lol!

I thought I would give a quick in sight information on the results we found when we were testing a de-cat on a 182 at Torque of the devil last year (dyno dynamics rr)... Sadly I have no graphs of this as there were all stored on my previous work partners lap top so its your call on if you decide to believe my findings or not, frankly couldn't care either way

Test 1. Completely standard 182 bar milltek cat-back, Rolling road showed normal power/ torque, was in the region of 170/173 bhp

Test 2. Same car but this time with the decat fitted, Peak power was near identical but lost a good chunk of torque at around 3,000rpm (this being the flat spot your feeling in the above threads) AFR in the mid-range ran very lean hence theloss

Test 3. Decat & ECU calibration (not a live, Just our generic) good solid torque curve with gains of over 10ftb's points below 5,000rpm and no flat spots at all! only showed a rise of a couple of peak bhp but it was still on standard airbox/inlets etc

Test 4. removed the de-cat and re-fitted the catalyst, and left the ECU calibration on, torque at 3,000rpm was lower than test 3, in the mid-range test 3 & 4 showed near identical power, Up top test 3 held the power much better

Now these test were carried out over a course of 2 days (due to fitting/ removal of parts) so there are variations there that couldn't be helped, but the best figure of the test was test 3.

Moral of the story is, If you wan't a de-cat, get it mapped and you should see gains, if you don't get a decent calibration your just gaining noise!

James
test 3 is same set up as my car, it does make a difference that you can feel, better torque and stronger revving

People misunderstand torque. Torque does not equal acceleration at all. If anything it's the exact opposite.

Torque = work done. Power = rate of work done. You need both to make a fast car. A lorry has plenty of torque, so it can haul 40 tons, but it can't do it very quickly because it doesn't have the power (relatively). Therefore it doesn't accelerate very quickly. Take a tank transporter as an extreme example. If it had 10,000bhp, it could pull that tank from 0-60 in 5 seconds. If it had 10,000bhp but no torque, it would be able to do something similar until you added the tank, and it wouldn't be able to move.

Extremely simplistic but that's the nuts and bolts of it. Motorbikes can get away with little torque because they don't have to do much work. What work they do, they do it quickly through lots of power (again relatively) at very high RPM.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
To echo what Roy said; a steam engine can produce maximum torque at almost zero RPM, yet it can haul 100s of tonnes.

VaVa
That's a fair point, actually. My car sounded fantastic (imho) with the decat on.

Loud to an anti-social level tbh. And when you start work some mornings at 05:30, it's not really fair on the neighbours!!

People misunderstand torque. Torque does not equal acceleration at all. If anything it's the exact opposite.

Torque = work done. Power = rate of work done. You need both to make a fast car. A lorry has plenty of torque, so it can haul 40 tons, but it can't do it very quickly because it doesn't have the power (relatively). Therefore it doesn't accelerate very quickly. Take a tank transporter as an extreme example. If it had 10,000bhp, it could pull that tank from 0-60 in 5 seconds. If it had 10,000bhp but no torque, it would be able to do something similar until you added the tank, and it wouldn't be able to move.

Extremely simplistic but that's the nuts and bolts of it. Motorbikes can get away with little torque because they don't have to do much work. What work they do, they do it quickly through lots of power (again relatively) at very high RPM.

Ermmm "torque does not equal acceleration at all" - I'm sorry but yes it does

Torque is the turning force applied - power is the speed it is applied. To get a static object to move you need force, once its moving you need speed
You only need to push a car off your driveway to know it takes a LOT of torque to get the car moving and then when it's up to speed you need to be able to run faster to keep it increasing in acceleration

Exactly the same with your engine and car - for acceleration off the line you need torque - to go faster top end you need bhp
Which is exactly what has been said - if you want a bit more top end speed then a decat will give you a few more bhp and free up a bit more speed
But if you want to be quick from the line or quick out of a slow corner then the standard cat will give you a few more torques and will give you better acceleration

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Phil, torque does not equal acceleration. It is a necessary factor, but it must be coupled with power. At its bare bones your statement is incorrect. (refer to my post about steam engines; torque probably into 4 figures moving at 1mph).
Power is relative to energy (rpm).
I understand what I think you mean though, but who would deny that more torque is a bad thing?

I haven't done energy principles for a while, I'd like to brush up tbh.

Just out of interest is there any conclusive proof that decats give a drop in torque, aside from the controversial and lollable 2s/lap claim? (mapped and unmapped).

You need both - but for acceleration you need more torque to move a static heavy object than you do bhp

The only reason steam engines and lorries are slow is because they are geared to produce maximum torque and no bhp. That's because they both need to move a lot of weight from a standing start.

It's a very exagerated scenario to a car setting off - it weighs a ton and you need to get it moving - so you need torque
But if you had all torque and no bhp it would move easily but slowly. If you had all bhp and no torque it wouldn't move.

In an ideal world you'd have lots of torque loads down and lots of bhp high up - but that's not really very achievable.

I wonder if I can keep this thread going into January? ;)

Phil, you've basically just agreed with everything I posted, but in disagreement. lol.

EDIT: In fact reading again, you have pretty much just reposted every single comment I made, and somehow managed to make it look like you were in disagreement. What?

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
"Last edited by Roy Munson; Today at 09:34. Reason: BTW I have a HND in motor vehicle engineering "

Lol! Just thought i'd drop that one in there..

Torque does not equal acceleration at all. If anything it's the exact opposite.

Phil, you've basically just agreed with everything I posted, but in disagreement. lol.

EDIT: In fact reading again, you have pretty much just reposted every single comment I made, and somehow managed to make it look like you were in disagreement. What?

I agree with your technical definition of torque and horsepower - I totally disagree with the statement above
You're pretty much saying torque doesn't produce acceleration - which it does

Plus I'm bored shitless - and winding people up into week long arguments on here is my only entertainment :p

Of course torque produces acceleration in that it can turn the crank, but lots of acceleration i.e. in the context of car performance, also requires lots of power in order to get the work done quickly.

In other words you didn't read the rest of the originally quoted post.

Of course torque produces acceleration in that it can turn the crank, but lots of acceleration i.e. in the context of car performance, also requires lots of power in order to get the work done quickly.

In other words you didn't read the rest of the originally quoted post.

I have re-read it now. Understand. Agree.

BHP is merely torque with engine speed anyway. You can't get BHP without torque.
As we're not talking about changing the RPM of the engine or the redline of it - then losing torque is losing acceleration.
Gaining torque is gaining acceleration

If you were gaining torque and losing RPM then yes you'd be losing acceleration but that's not gonna happen with a decat.

"Torque wins races, horse power sells cars" - Carol Shelby

Last edited:
  Clio 182 & Cup Packs
In past few days Ive noticed my lil 182 pulls better in this icy weather (just a shame you cant do it that much in icy weather) down to the cold weather, Stuff your decats.... Get a dedicated cold air feed???

In past few days Ive noticed my lil 182 pulls better in this icy weather (just a shame you cant do it that much in icy weather) down to the cold weather, Stuff your decats.... Get a dedicated cold air feed???

I don't think it's practical to run one all the way to the arctic circle

I don't think it's practical to run one all the way to the arctic circle

Not least because by the time the "arctic" air gets to your car it'd be the same temperature as all the rest of the air in Cheshire (or wherever you are)...

...principle of thermodynamic equilibrium n all. If however you were to attach a calf rearing bucket on the end of your induction hose... wait, no. Nope it definitley would not make any difference whatsoever.

I'm amazed this thread lasted 10 pages before descending into OT chat. I mean at least the 2 second a lap gain, steam engines and power/torque arguments were all on topic!

Clio 182 & Cup Packs
Hey its all relative ... decat power gains .... Not as noticeable as the cold weather! imho Thats all im saying.

Clio 182 & Cup Packs
Cant believe im here again posting on this thread.... I did have my ass kicked.... In my personal opinion....

Decat... definitely more free revving, and appears easier to stall (i dont do that much) - Less backpressure I guess, oh and more noise. No difference on mpg for me though
Cat... the opposite......

But no difference with mpg either way

2014 Clio 200t edc
I feel it accelerates better, revs smoother, I'm getting better mpg, slightly better noise (standard exhaust ftl) but smell of petrol is horrible!!!

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
You can't beat the smell of a decatted car :)

My revs a lot smoother, it just feels a lot nicer to drive. Plus the odd pop and bang now and again is nice.

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Jokes aside, I wanted a decat but the last one I bought a decat for was a valver about 6 or 7 years ago, an it made it stink to high heavens, constant headaches from fumes!
Wondered if the 1*2a were any different, but sounds like they stink too!!
Don't want a stinky car, no de-cat for me then :(

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Oh yh wasn't all the time, but when windows were down it would suck the smell inside, was really unpleasant

320d
I love my decat. It makes the car sound brilliant and I love the smell. You can only smell it from the outside.

Renault clio 172
My 172 had a decat when I bought it but I took it of and put the cat back on as it was to noisy for me personaly I've haven't felt any change in power or revs or any thing mentioned apart from noise( don't get me wrong I like a nice sound but it was just too noisy) I left the magnex cat back system on and that's enough for me, anyone with a magnex system will probs agree that they give a nice sound rather then outright noise, my mate has a yozza system and Christ what a racket, excellent build quality though lol, oops I'm speaking crap again sorry

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you are smelling petrol out the back of your car in a noticeable way when its sat idling, you have a fault not just a decat.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
My experience with de-cats is you lose a little on the bottom and gain a little on the top. Both weighed up if you're looking for peak power figures and rev the nuts off the car a lot, go with a de-cat. If you want the car to be more usable lower down the range, keep the cat in for more torque.