ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DCI Non starter

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
Basically I just wanted to change the numberplate bulb, saw the contacts were corroded, got to work without disconnecting the battery and sounded like I shorted something.

Now the car wont start! All lights come on, I get the crank noise, but won't fire up. I have checked all fuses but suspect a relay. I'm not sure how I could have done this from the rear numberplate bulb contacts though :S

Weird symptom also is when I turn the ignition on I get an abnormal buzzing noise and the speedo flickers.

Any ideas?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The rear number plate light shouldn't do any serious damage on its own even if it shorted to ground... worst case it would pop the tail lamp circuit fuse which is rated at around 10A. Have you checked all the mini-blade fuses in the drivers fuse box? Are you sure you've not something else bar the rear plate bulb?

The K9K's are susceptible to voltage drops which stop them working as the main engine sensor "array" is powered by a single main loop... any faults here can cause a non-start in them and so needs checking out. Are any of the warning lamps flashing such as the red "STOP" as this will indicate a Level 1 or Level 2 fault? Diagnostics may hold an answer to your problems to.

Mick

Another thing to consider is whether the immobiliser light is going out when trying to start the car, as I had similar issues which turned out to be caused by a faulty battery.

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks, Mick.

I had blown a tail light 10A fuse as you stated, but still not working.

The single main loop would make sense here - the connector for the rear numberplate bulb is fubared and wont be making a circuit so this could well be my problem?

MK5 Fiesta Zetec S
Ok this hapend to me about 3 weeks ago, just to make sure your lights are working, stereo etc, you turn the key no response from starter?

The problem for my car was that the earth wire from the battery to the engine had snapped, rang AA and they fitted me a new one. :)

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
Ok this hapend to me about 3 weeks ago, just to make sure your lights are working, stereo etc, you turn the key no response from starter?

The problem for my car was that the earth wire from the battery to the engine had snapped, rang AA and they fitted me a new one. :)

All lights/wipers/stereo are fine, dash lights are bright, battery is fine. I have checked the earthing, and that was fine too. I think this rear bulb connector could be causing the problems .... I had literally just turned the car off from a long trip.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Thanks, Mick.

I had blown a tail light 10A fuse as you stated, but still not working.

The single main loop would make sense here - the connector for the rear numberplate bulb is fubared and wont be making a circuit so this could well be my problem?

Were any other fuses blown? Check the engine bay box to as there are a couple of fuses there also. Could it be the main sensor loop issue? Possibly, yes but without a diagnostic its hard to say as the main sensor array will, when effected by lack of power or a short to ground, will normally show DF127 as being "Active". The process is to then check every sensor on the "loop" in turn to ensure its getting a good +5v supply and that the other end connects back to the ECM plugs okay. I'm certain the light circuit is totally seperate from the main engine loom though but i've been wrong before and i'm sure I will be again.

Mick

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the dials doing that usually happens when the battery has gone weak or dead, are you sure its strong? of it is then i bet theres an earth somewhere needing replaced

clio mk2 ph2 2001.
Happened to a friends car a few weeks back,
I disconnected his battery, put the jump leads on the terminals with the battery completly removed... Jump started fine, put the battery back in and terminals back on, then jumped it again, and it worked.
Good luck

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
the dials doing that usually happens when the battery has gone weak or dead, are you sure its strong? of it is then i bet theres an earth somewhere needing replaced

Yeah I went back to work on it again and the battery was completely nailed - Putting a new one in later so I think the battery has just had it.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Result! Glad its chugging again - It really doesn't take much to stop the K9K's starting.