ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dCi 100 any good?

Peugeot 106 1.4 GTi
Hi newbie here from wales, currently a 106 owner looking to get a new car soon thinking the clio mk2 is a good choice with the dci engine, cant afford to insure a 172/182 so thinking with a remap the diesel will be a good compromise between power/economy. Is there much difference chassis wise between the dci and 172/182? can much be swapped over?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
100's are a good shout, I owned a mapped one a few years back.

handle well, go well when mapped and brilliant on fuel, parts are cheap for servicing and maintenance but fuel system can be mega expensive if it fails.

out of the 2 I much preffer my 100bhp 1.2 16v Turbo Twingo, but you will pay a bit more for one over a dci 100, although it will be a few years newer and lower miles, DCI is much better for economy though.

suspension setup is the same as any non RS except it uses 172 rear brakes discs rather than drums like the 1.2, 1.4 and other diesels. so only way you can change it all to 172 suspension is to change the full lot and go wide track if the driveshafts are usable? last time I looked it wasn't confirmed if they were or wernt

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Wide track only works on Jc5 boxed dcis AFAIK

saying that someone on here had a 172 rep 100 , can't remember if he used spacers or managed to get the wide track on the jr5 box

Peugeot 106 1.4 GTi
ah yeah all sounds prity good, so is the RS suspension completely different then?
what sort of gearboxes are used? Are they from the same family?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Jc5 box used on renault sport models and DCI 65/80

jr5 on 100's and TL4 equipped renaults

i know for sure the widetrack can be done 100% on a DCI 80
few of us on here done it

clio dci , ren8
Just done the 172 rep on my 100 bhp clio and due to the shaft issue went for hubcentric bolt on spacers on the front , worked a treat & looks good (well in my opinion ) ;) could fit the 172 wide track but think that you would need custom drive shafts

Many.
100's are a bit rare, nothing wrong with getting an 80, decatting it and remapping it. You'll see around 100hp out of it, and the car will be cheaper to buy in the first place. Plus then you can do this...
AFD1BEDC-7B75-490F-A4E0-2F42A56F6135_zpsjj8orvdj.jpg

Mines only a 65, with decat and intercooler making 76hp & 140lbft. I love it.

RB 182 Cup
Had a dci 100 for my first car. They're great little cars. My only regret was not getting it remapped :(.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
You've got the hassle of finding a decent 100 first lol
80's are all over like a decease

i wouldn't go to say the boxes are much better, only a closed diff rather than the jc5 open ended
yes cable shift bit better but no feel for the gears ( ok I admit the amount of play in the rod shift is epic )

For what he wants to do, 80 seems the best option.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
plenty 100s going cheap these days, one went through my local auction the other day for £750 and looked in alright nick too! I was mega tempted by it but my mrs would have ate me alive lol

cable box feel better to use, although still rubbish feel, no movement in the gear stick on and off throttle is a welcomed addition and hydraulic clutch is much nicer to use!

then theres the rear discs.

he wants a 172 but cant afford to insure one so wants a compromise between economy and performance, imo the only way to go is a mapped 100 for that! your not far off 172 performance with awesome economy when you go down that route!

if I was going down the route of hybrid turbos etc id much rather buy a clean 1.2 16v dynamique and stick a D4FT in it!

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
whats the fuel economy like on the 65,80 and 100? are they all in the same tax bracket?

Many.
whats the fuel economy like on the 65,80 and 100? are they all in the same tax bracket?

Tax on the 65 & 100 is £30 a year, 80 is £20 a year.

MPG wise, min I saw from mine when it was standard was 55MPG, now I can get that as low as 43MPG when properly ragging it (now its decatted and intercooled). Can see 80+ MPG on a long motorway run.

From castle combe in the summer I did 50mph all the way, display showed over 99.9 MPG.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Tax on the 65 & 100 is £30 a year, 80 is £20 a year.

MPG wise, min I saw from mine when it was standard was 55MPG, now I can get that as low as 43MPG when properly ragging it (now its decatted and intercooled). Can see 80+ MPG on a long motorway run.

From castle combe in the summer I did 50mph all the way, display showed over 99.9 MPG.

sounds good my have to get rid of the RSI and get a DCI lol.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Martin ok I have to agree on that one lol

ben, the 80 is cheapest tax at £20 a year.
80 is ment to get the best of mpg from all three but I'd say the 65 wins that but has no guts

as Martin says if you can find a tidy 100 go for it.
Just make sure it's not got fuel pump problems if it's high Millage

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
going to gave to test drive a 100dci now. would save me £200 year in tax and £60+ month in fuel

Peugeot 106 1.4 GTi
alex your car looks absolutely mint! has it been resprayed or standard color?
Drove a 65 today hardly moves ! think its going to have to be a 100 don't want to have anything slower than the 106.
handling wise don't mind swapping bits to make a RS diesel so to speak, swapped every suspension component on my 106 for gti bits, made so much difference !
what setup dose the clio have struts at the front and torsion on the back?

Many.
Shocks and springs all round. Only issue with fitting RS suspension etc is the driveshafts on the 100. Give the rest of it a search, but you can pretty much fit everything from a RS (I have)

Mine is factory Flame Red.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
also I had a 65 and a 100 and never saw any considerable difference in mpg between the 2, both were awesome, 100 maby 2-5mpg less when driven hard but when just dodging about town they were both the same!

clio dci , ren8
Would have to agree with Martin-172 as I have also had a80 & 100 bh both are great fun and you can laugh at the world ( well until it breaks ) :S the 80 always felt better than my current mk 3dci 106 , but the 100 just brings a bigger smile to your face ,Good luck in your search:)

Peugeot 106 1.4 GTi
Just read through your progresses blog alex, sort of thing i would want to do, going to have to do some research on color ideally would be nice for sport bumpers etc to fit steright on.

Clio Storia 1.5dCi
I have a dci70 remap with 275k km and is a very good engine. Now have around 100ch. Is a good car and very funny for drive. Sorry about my english...

One picture of my car

vutyze2y.jpg