ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dash lights & relays going mental with no key in ignition

Clio182cup Nova2.0SR
Hi guys, I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem I have...

After a lovely drive home I pulled up on the drive turned the car off with the key still in the ignition & the dash lights combined with the relays started flashing & stayed on after I took the key out of the ignition barrel.

I have only recently fitted a new battery (about 1 month ago & had no problems since) I don't think this has anything to do with it though.

The relays going mad are the rear wiper & after ignition ones, when I take these out the dash lights still stay on & bizarrely the idle speed control valve starts to click...

When I put the key into the barrel past the first click this stops the lights & relays flashing & the car starts without a problem, so when the car is running there is no problems, only when the car is switched off do I have a problem...

I have disconnected the battery so it isn't drained overnight, but do need to fix this issue.

Please can anyone help?

Cheers,

Matt.

Clio182cup Nova2.0SR
Ok, just to keep the thread up to date with info in case anyone else has this problem in the future, I can confirm...

That at lunchtime I took the connector where the barrell connects to the loom apart & reconnected it, put the battery on & it fixed it.

I made sure the problem was still there before I did this so I know it wasn't just chance it was fixed like that.

The only thing I can assume is that there was a small amount of corrosion around one of the terminals in the block which was creating enough of a dodgy connection & causing the problem.

Anyway, Hopefully this is it fixed but I'll update you if it needs more work... My first experience with French electrics, don't you just love em eh!

Clio182cup Nova2.0SR
OK...

The problem has returned, car alarm started going off this morning & the same syptoms have returned.

I thought i'd try my fix from before, however it doesn't want to know, the oil light is the first to flicker on hence why the alarm goes off.

Does anyone have a clue what else it could be?

cheers.

Clio182cup Nova2.0SR
I will definately check the water ingress option today, it was raining yesterday, I guess that could have an effect, many thanks for the suggestion.

An update on the condition of the car... After refuelling today my petrol warning light now also wants to stay on...

I love the clio, it's such a good car but why was it made with french spec electrics!

Clio182cup Nova2.0SR
Strange, just out of interest is the battery the correct spec?

Interesting you should ask that, I had to buy a new battery back in August shortly after buying the car as the trip computer memory kept resetting on start up, I purchased a bosch battery as specified by their manual.

However it seemed too big (in length not width) when fitting it so much so that I have modified the inlet to the air box to have a 90mm air feed rather than the two separate ones. That little mod helped out with fuel economy too incidentally.

Anyway I digress, the new battery was fine all the way up until I had the first sign of the dash light issue back in december.

Last edited:
  Clio Sport Cup 172
i have problem not of your magnitute where the dash lights kept flickering and coming on also when i touched electric windows would make dash lights come on renault said it was the uch computer that needed changing behind the fuse box dont know if this helps in any way at all

cheers andy

Clio182cup Nova2.0SR
i have problem not of your magnitute where the dash lights kept flickering and coming on also when i touched electric windows would make dash lights come on renault said it was the uch computer that needed changing behind the fuse box dont know if this helps in any way at all

cheers andy

Cheers for another avenue of investigation andy.

Update today is that the car is fine again as of lunchtime... Grrr! So I'll have another look when it happens next.