ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dartmoor Run

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Was thinking the 29/30th June. Do something similar to before in December, going for a drive enjoying our cars and the roads, and stopping off at a few places to grab some pictures. Arranging somewhere for food as well if people want.

Any one up for it?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Yeah I think i'm free :) How about combining it with something else if the weathers nice? I could meet you guys at the top of Dartmoor (like @ Moretonhampstead), then we could drive back down and across to Liskeard and do some arrive & drive karting?

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Yeah I think i'm free :) How about combining it with something else if the weathers nice? I could meet you guys at the top of Dartmoor (like @ Moretonhampstead), then we could drive back down and across to Liskeard and do some arrive & drive karting?

Well that was a possible idea, I will give this more thought a put a plan together, once I have an idea of how many people will be willing to come and where they are travelling from.

Meeting at Morten was an idea I had, there are a few reservoirs not far from there which may make a nice back drop for some pictures, although there may be some H&S barriers meaning they car in the way. I have only just google map viewed some places, will see if they have been street viewed and see them in more detail.

Karting was another idea, either Plymouth or Exeter, again depending on what people want to do.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Do we wanna make this an afternooney thing, leading on into sunset when we can maybe go and grab a bite to eat?

Thinking along the lines of 5-8:00 driving and photoshoots, then go and find somewhere to eat?

Or even drive from middayish, go karting, then go get a meal lol.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Do we wanna make this an afternooney thing, leading on into sunset when we can maybe go and grab a bite to eat?

THIS AINT A FUKIN DATE!!!!!!

lol
But i get what you mean. Depends on how many people come and where from. Some of us can stay later and hunt round for evening pics.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
FLOL!

I meant no point just driving around for a couple of hours, make a day of it and do a good sunset run :cool:

James from last week said he's up for it on FB, but can't get out of work until 3pm so if we keep going all afternoon he can just join us for karting/meal/evening run e.t.c.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Ok so planning this in abit of further detail.

​Possible route

http://goo.gl/maps/QMMRo

Option 1
This starts at Moretonhampstead, goes down to some reservoirs nearby, then across Dartmoor (stopping along the way for pics, perhaps some nice motion ones nearby the bit that is like Au Rouge type sweeping bit - mcgherkin i hope you get what I'm on about). Then along towards Cadover Bridge, for pics if wanted, then into Plymouth for a bit to eat. The China House, has parking (free) and is the same chain as the Barn Owl, but any other places are welcome. Then up to the karting place, before heading back across dartmoor again if people want.

Option 2
Start at Exeter - at the harvester (for food), pick up the same route, but without the stop in Plymouth, then karting if people want. Home from there.

Option 3
Reverse of the above, meet and eat in plymouth, followed by karting, then a drive across dartmoor.

There is plenty of scope for change, if you know of any better driving roads or routes, or some that appear on google maps and are not passible then feel free to change.

I wasnt sure what the roads down near Ashuburton / Poundsgate were like so they have not been included, but it can be changed.

My only issue, with fixing an evening time, is that we put all the risk in the weather. If it was more afternoonish, I am sure we can find ways to kill some time for those that would want to be around longer for some sunset pics.

It it will be hard to pull in anyone from the far east of Devon area, but a few of the non-regulars from Cornwall might be willing as its a bit closer to home than usual.

I know, but making the effort in the hope that some may have an interest and want to come.

Part of the reason for short notice admittedly as its the last weekend I'm defiantly down here with the car, and well one last hurrah is needed haha.

If Dartmoor is not wanted, or more driving or something bigger, then a mamouth drive - Dartmoor, Exmoor, Cheddar Gorge (if thats the place) Which would cover a large portion of the area, but that would require a full day, more planning and getting a day/date people can work with.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I like the sound of option 1 as well. Do we want to do karting before we eat though? So we aren't rushed?

Cant wait to go head to head with McGherkin in the karts (what should be for once an evenly matched vehicle); will get to see just how crazy your are behind the wheel :p lol.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, you forget I'm a bat fastard! (geting my excuses in early)

I like the idea of eating in between tbh, gives us time to relax and breaks up the driving a bit.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Lol, you forget I'm a bat fastard! (geting my excuses in early)

I like the idea of eating in between tbh, gives us time to relax and breaks up the driving a bit.

haha sure its not tactics? Let everyone else eat and put on a few pounds to even things out? ;) lol.

PB Clio 172
Problem is here is that if I could attend all day I would not be up for karting. The 1 in Plymouth is gash honest! Not trying to spoil the plans I don't want you lot to pay for something balls.....
Also the Exeter meet will be on 12th July so its quite close there too.....

Not up for a 'date' either callum ha ha

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
It will always be within 2 weeks of the Exeter meet, regardless of which weekend is picked. But then the idea is to try and include other members as well.

THe other option is karting in Exeter, so Kart in Exeter and eat there, then drive back across dartmoor.

But these are just ideas, and there for people to change and suggest alternatives

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Problem is here is that if I could attend all day I would not be up for karting. The 1 in Plymouth is gash honest! Not trying to spoil the plans I don't want you lot to pay for something balls.....
Also the Exeter meet will be on 12th July so its quite close there too.....

Not up for a 'date' either callum ha ha

surely it cant be that bad?! After looking on the website, they have SODIKART GT 270cc karts which are pretty fast, and an indoor and outdoor track, I would expect at least one of them to be good enough for a laugh! We can always go and take a look first anyway and if we don't like what we see, we can just skip it. I still like plan 1 :)

PB Clio 172
Well the track is small and if you compare it too St Eval its not great! Websites like that always go OTT ! The karts in St Eval are the best the website used to say they went 70mph!! Which is rubbish but its more like 50mph !!

So hard to work in an area like this. We asked Chip and the others about St Eval and it would of been too far for the likes of them. We can't win down here

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
How does Plymouth karting compare to the one in Liskeard? I have been to the one in Liskeard many times and enjoyed it every time. They have an outdoor track with a fast straight and a bunch of challenging corners.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
How does Plymouth karting compare to the one in Liskeard? I have been to the one in Liskeard many times and enjoyed it every time. They have an outdoor track with a fast straight and a bunch of challenging corners.

I thought it was a bit slow at liskeard tbh, not been to Plymouth yet but the lack of grip offered at an indoor circuit makes it a bit more interesting with slow karts tbh.

Liskeard's still a fair way out from Dartmoor though.

Plymouth tracks are both around 20-25 second laps. Which is piss poor in my eyes. Don't think I'll go there again. St Eval (as far as it maybe) is the best around. Best lap for me on the new track is a high 1:10 I think. Love it there.

Would love to come to this but it's a bit too close to Le Mans for me I'm affraid.

PB Clio 172
Plymouth tracks are both around 20-25 second laps. Which is piss poor in my eyes. Don't think I'll go there again. St Eval (as far as it maybe) is the best around. Best lap for me on the new track is a high 1:10 I think. Love it there.

Would love to come to this but it's a bit too close to Le Mans for me I'm affraid.

Agree nothing comes close to St Eval its epic!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
tbh I think the Plymouth karts will be fine. Its not like we are going there for the formulaX experience, its just for a bit of a laugh! I think your right McGherkin, indoor track is probably slippy as f**k :)

For drifting and mucking about, Plymouth karting is perfect, it's very slippy so a bit of a laugh. Over taking opportunities and fastest laps etc is where it falls down, 1 person spins and there's a full track caution or you have to stop.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
At the end of the day, its all abit of fun, and for a laugh.

I agree a bigger track would be better if we were going to book a day, or a serious event. But this is just for laughs.

Can always arrange a proper days karting if thats want people want.