ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Daniels Blue 182.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Like the new gearstick very nice. Lucky you have a 182 as the cats on a 172 are a pain in the ass in comparison.
Hi Dann just wondering does it worry you not having a drivers airbag? I've looked at aftermarket wheels but I like the idea of a safety feature such as an airbag and not sure I'd be happy without...
Im thinking the same. Does that OMP wheel have a horn? dont you need that for an MOT? Would love a smaller wheel but lack of airbag and cruise control kinda puts me off. Im going to copy this wheel instead but just have it all black.
i-qQbgddt-L.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
@dann2707 I keep looking at your build and you are making me want to spend more money! Please stop!!!

Sorry mate!! I'd say don't give in whilst you have the sanity. I haven't regretted anything i've done to the car yet but I daren't tot up how much i've spent. But then again I think, it's a hobby! I don't go out anymore now that Uni has been and gone and the gf isn't one of those who expects me to pay for everything infact i'd say it's moreso the other way around 🙈

Hi Dann just wondering does it worry you not having a drivers airbag? I've looked at aftermarket wheels but I like the idea of a safety feature such as an airbag and not sure I'd be happy without...
At first it did but then I thought if i'm going to have a crash it's going to hurt regardless haha stupid way of thinking I know but I can't articulate how well it has made driving the car now. No longer do I have this massive thing blocking my view, it's changed the handling too now when i'm wanting to change lanes etc all I have to do is a small turning input and i'm there, way more twitchy but for all the right reasons.

Coming on nicely this Dan :smile:

Cheers dude! Shame I couldn't have bought your exhaust tbh, was at a cracking price too.

Like the new gearstick very nice. Lucky you have a 182 as the cats on a 172 are a pain in the ass in comparison.

Im thinking the same. Does that OMP wheel have a horn? dont you need that for an MOT? Would love a smaller wheel but lack of airbag and cruise control kinda puts me off. Im going to copy this wheel instead but just have it all black.
i-qQbgddt-L.jpg

Cheers dude. I wasn't fully sold on it at first. It does come with a horn yeah, where the OMP is in the middle that's the horn. Have you fitted the coilys?

RB Clio 182
Cheers dude! Shame I couldn't have bought your exhaust tbh, was at a cracking price too.

No worries mate, theres loads out there.

We will have to meet up sometime, you doing anything at the weekend?

We could have a mooch in the cars locally if you want, take you for a blast in mine, you will want a turbo mate i swear :D

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Havent fitted the coilovers yet but am getting on the case, just need a few more bits like wishbone bushes and a few nuts and bolts. Im lazy too which doesnt help.
Just noticed you have removed the audio controller stalk thing. Im guessing its because you have an after market stereo without the stalk adapter. I find the audio stalk one of the best things about the clio - just love the way you can do the volume, mute and scroll through tracks etc, it works so so well and is much better than other cars that have the controls on the steering wheel. You should put it back in and get a stalk adapter, they are quite cheap but well worth it.

Really enjoying your thread like everyone else.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
No worries mate, theres loads out there.

We will have to meet up sometime, you doing anything at the weekend?

We could have a mooch in the cars locally if you want, take you for a blast in mine, you will want a turbo mate i swear :smiley:

Sadly i'm going to be carless this weekend :( Removing the bumper friday night and the sprayer is picking it up saturday then returning it Sunday. I'm free the weekend after though? :D

Havent fitted the coilovers yet but am getting on the case, just need a few more bits like wishbone bushes and a few nuts and bolts. Im lazy too which doesnt help.
Just noticed you have removed the audio controller stalk thing. Im guessing its because you have an after market stereo without the stalk adapter. I find the audio stalk one of the best things about the clio - just love the way you can do the volume, mute and scroll through tracks etc, it works so so well and is much better than other cars that have the controls on the steering wheel. You should put it back in and get a stalk adapter, they are quite cheap but well worth it.

Really enjoying your thread like everyone else.

Yeah I removed it as it wasn't really doing anything but now you've mentioned it that could be really useful especially as now i've fitted the longer gearstick I keep catching my finger on the aux output cable haha. But then again I like my chavvy Sony headunit, brings a bit of colour to the car lol

Cheers mate!

Need to get everything aligned now, not sure where to go to get the car balanced and tracked that will do a good job.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome @MrTom i'm well up for that, fancy a drive somewhere if the weather is nice/ acceptable?

Tonight after tea i'm going to take the suspension off and fit another washer below the topmounts. Spoke to Nick at Pure today and said the suspension top platform shouldn't be able to move it should be on there solid but I can move mine around 1mm or so up and down so he thinks the struts have run out of thread regarding the very top nut! Will see what happens tonight might see if I can film it to show others.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Fixed it! Well one side anyway as I only had one washer lol

It turned out the washer provided was too small in I.D and needed a bigger one (M22). Pic shows why, hopefully it might help someone else if they're running Bilsteins with Solid top mounts!!

So the thicker part of the coilover that goes through the aluminium looking spring platform and protrudes is 22mm so that when the washer was on it was pressing against the coilover not the spring platform and that's where the wobble was coming from.

16022896467_c8a1b958c9_b.jpg
2015-01-05 19.48.33 by dann2707, on Flickr

This pic shows what the washer was doing, absolutely f**k all! Should be wider pressing against that platform not against the coilover like it's doing here.

16021346490_047618d517_b.jpg
2015-01-05 19.49.37 by dann2707, on Flickr

New washer in, much better!!

15588841263_044f11a327_b.jpg
2015-01-05 19.53.25 by dann2707, on Flickr

There's absolutely no rocking movement now when pressing down on the platform. Shame I could only find one of these washers though! Ordered some more though.

ooooh new mats came also.

16206823871_cb39d53014_b.jpg
2015-01-05 18.43.43 by dann2707, on Flickr

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Hi Dan, That 400w light was a really good purchase. Like those mats .
Have you got a link to the washers you bought, will have to get some just in case.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Just got off the phone to the guy who was supposed to be spraying my bumper. We originally planned him to pick it up Saturday early as my house is on the way to his work and I can't do midweek.

He's just called having a massive go asking where I was (it's friday durrrr) and I told him what we originally planned. He denied the whole thing saying "I never said that, impossible" until I told him my phone records every phone call I make or receive and that is exactly what we arranged.

He then went ohh well I can't do it now, it'll have to be another weekend. I had arranged everything tonight to remove the bumper. It pisses me off that he tried to deny it! Really can't stand unreliable people especially when it involves changing your other plans to suit only to be let down.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'd be reluctant to give him it now. If he's like that after his mistake, just image what he'll be like if you aren't happy with it or something.

Yeah. This is why with this car im TRYING to do everything myself. You have to see the majority of people that work on your car as a lazy version of yourself doing your own job. Half of them couldn't give two bits about your pride and joy either!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Have you got your spoiler on yet?!

Nope :( It's currently at this stage:

Update - I've been dusting single dry coats if primer on the trouble areas dude to try and isolate the problem, I should be good for a full coat of primer soon then go for a few rust coats of colour and see what's what.

I'd be reluctant to give him it now. If he's like that after his mistake, just image what he'll be like if you aren't happy with it or something.

Exactly, going to go with someone else I think and that is a really good point. Just not sure when! Need it doing asap it's killing me with it looking like that.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Exactly, going to go with someone else I think and that is a really good point. Just not sure when! Need it doing asap it's killing me with it looking like that.

How close to Swillington are you? When I crashed my first Clio, a guy down there did loads of work on the front end to get it straight again and resprayed the bonnet, front bumper and wings and did a really good job. It was Silver as well so had read that it's quite hard to get a good colour match but it looked spot on.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
How close to Swillington are you? When I crashed my first Clio, a guy down there did loads of work on the front end to get it straight again and resprayed the bonnet, front bumper and wings and did a really good job. It was Silver as well so had read that it's quite hard to get a good colour match but it looked spot on.

Ridiculously close mate, like 4 minutes away! Does he own a shop or is it a one man band thing?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Thought you were close but couldn't remember haha.

He owns his own shop but it's just him. He did the work on my Clio a couple of years ago but he was booked up about 3-4 weeks in advance, not sure how busy he is now. It's a place called Swillington Refinishers, not sure on number as I only lived in Rothwell so just bobbed in for a price. It's located pretty much next to Swilly WMC, there's a hand car wash kind of place and a couple of shops and it's round the left hand side of there. Only a really small place, may be worth calling in and having a word.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for that mate, i'll wait to see if my Dad has booked me into somewhere but if not i'll give him a ring.

btw just had a look on his website and one of the pics, could this be your car?

@leeds2592

Attachments

• eyecatchers01.jpg
    eyecatchers01.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 81

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I've been having a problem lately as posted here:

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/does-this-sound-like-a-tdc-sensor-issue.766022/

Tried changing the throttle body and cleaning the TDC sensor but to no avail however today my mate came over and we started looking at some of the sensors going into the inlet plenum. I'm hoping these are what's wrong and maybe causing a vacuum leak!

The AIT sensor has a clip broken on it so it's fairly loose, not sure if it's supposed to be loose-ish anyway

16067611098_8884d79c48_b.jpg
20150111_150521 by dann2707, on Flickr

16069321277_02dc7c2646_b.jpg
20150111_150539 by dann2707, on Flickr

And the MAP sensor looks like this! Changed the seal to a new one now and about to go for a drive to see if it's doing it. The issue is is that it's intermittent so I can't tell straight away if it's solved it.

16253310121_95cf30cfa9_b.jpg
20150111_150554 by dann2707, on Flickr

16067619698_d7ef1021ed_b.jpg
20150111_150559 by dann2707, on Flickr

16255156975_e562970426_b.jpg
20150111_150641 by dann2707, on Flickr

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Got back from the gym tonight and somehow found the strength/will to have a look under the bonnet to see if I can see anything spurious!

I noticed something in the corner of my eye that made me go HMMMMMMMMMM. Check out this.

16272463791_c0396f6f9c_b.jpg
20150113_204316 by dann2707, on Flickr

That pipe above the yellow bit is the pipe that goes to the acoustic valve (or a bolt in my case as I removed it yonks ago). And that pipe happens to be crushed under the engine. It's either from when the cambelt was done or the clutch but basically that pipe is trapped under a nice bit of thin metal.

This shows it better!

16088134119_e90c4c9607_b.jpg
20150113_205215 by dann2707, on Flickr

So my initial thought is that's giving me a vacuum leak, it's got to be. So I started the engine up and sprayed that area with combustible maintenance spray expecting the engine revs to increase. Nothing :(

However my thought process is this, it's trapped when in gear and when i'm pressing the clutch (when the problem occurs) it's rocking the engine possibly moving this bracket/trapping of pipe and it's allowing a possible split pipe to suck in air if that makes sense? And might suggest why it's doing it intermittently.

What do we think?

I cut the pipe off above the trapped bit and bolted it up so time will tell tomorrow on the drive to work tomorrow!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Haz, driving to work today was certainly improved. Got the best time to test it too as there was so much traffic and I can definitely say it has stopped it by a lot and I mean a lot.

It used to do this issue around 85% of the time and now it's down to about 5% of the time which is a great! However the other 5% is still annoying that it's not entirely fixed. My last ditch effort is that it may be still doing it from the air intake temperature sensor that I showed before. Will be fitting a new one tonight.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Cheers Haz, driving to work today was certainly improved. Got the best time to test it too as there was so much traffic and I can definitely say it has stopped it by a lot and I mean a lot.

It used to do this issue around 85% of the time and now it's down to about 5% of the time which is a great! However the other 5% is still annoying that it's not entirely fixed. My last ditch effort is that it may be still doing it from the air intake temperature sensor that I showed before. Will be fitting a new one tonight.
Thats good news mate. Im sure you are right with the intake temperature sensor as I know when my car is cold and its cold outside the revs do jump a little. Have you got a bluetooth OBD2 unit and Torque on your phone? When I was testing out the Fatty induction kit I used this to check the intake temperature and compare the standard air unit to fattys kit. If you havent got one they are really handy to have. I have a few spare if you need one but they only work with android phones.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
You probably know but they are great for monitoring a load of sensors on the fly whilst you drive as well as logging etc.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'm just wondering if it's not clipped in properly @optical how loose is yours in the inlet plenum do you know? I'd say mine can move in and out around 1cm and can rock side to side really easily. I'll see if I can nab a cable tie from work to try and hold it to the inlet more.

I do have that actually mate yeah but thanks for the heads up about doing it whilst driving, i've got a bit of a drive later to see the girl so I can monitor it whilst driving.

Just had another thought. If the sensor isn't in properly not only will it be causing a vacuum leak to the inlet but also the cold air rushing in is going to be playing havoc with the sensors' readings. The MPG is still fairly decent though. Been averaging 35-36mpg lately. Got me thinking though this haha

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Just checked my AIT sensor and it doesnt move at all really, there is a tiny tiny bit of wiggle but all in all its in solidly.