ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dan@SJM's 1720v cup.

So with the ph1 dying of rust, I collected this shell:
C6B3EE7A-00BD-4951-8A64-7987FC76B0D1_zps0a6pqb8o.jpg

Porkies old cup, complete with safety devices full cage.

This thread will be a build log more than a thread.

Slowly things are coming together for the engine build, things have been turning up slowly, but surely.
Spec will be based around the following, with minor details changing.

1.8 20v turbo, bored and stroked to 2.0

Large port head with super tech valves,springs and retainers

Badger 5 cams

Wiseco Pistons (9:1CR)

ZRP Rifle drilled forged con rods

GTX3071 (may even go GT35)

Suspension will be the Roll centre kit and b14's, but these will be changed to possibly BC's but I've got something planned for the future so this may wait.

Interior
Will have a Dash2, and remote pedal box to get rid of my clutch issues (master cyl over heating due to turbo/manifold)

Here's the pics of stuff I e already gathered...
2.0 crankshaft
706417D9-3A65-4DE6-BCB3-EF4AD55E5FA6_zpsmbilqmo3.jpg

ZRP Rods
058D8D10-F0E5-4BF4-919F-B7B2683F0AE4_zps5aik83lp.jpg

Large port head
E0240CF8-0A1C-4C14-803E-D2EDE16A514E_zps13su8vvs.jpg

And a weathered block

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Dan I keep looking at the gtx3576 on a t3 twin scroll for mine. Everything about it says it would be perfect for mine.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Christ that crank shaft looks like a work of art!

I don't know if you said but what power will this run? I'd love to have the mechanical know how to take something like this on...

Whose doing the work m9?😂:kissingheart:

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Funnily enough, I've been offered a GTX35 (but don't know the full spec) quite well priced. So really stuck with what to do. It's on a vband housing too which suits me better

If you get them on a tial turbine housing they are surprisingly compact

Well I've just bought a GTX3582r with tial VBAND exhaust housing... So will be putting the 3071r up for sale.

Christ that crank shaft looks like a work of art!

I don't know if you said but what power will this run? I'd love to have the mechanical know how to take something like this on...

Whose doing the work m9?😂:kissingheart:

When fully finished, the spec I'm building it to will be good for over 600bhp.

Well I am currently at 401 but there's a restriction as it was climbing and then just flat lined. I suspect it's the manifold where it's been modified for the t28.

I am slightly nervous with the gtx as they're always laggy, and you need to run a f**k load of boost to wake them up.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Would going 2.1 not help a little, using a 1.9D 95.5mm crank?

Going to be awesome this!

big boost cup
Well I am currently at 401 but there's a restriction as it was climbing and then just flat lined. I suspect it's the manifold where it's been modified for the t28.

I am slightly nervous with the gtx as they're always laggy, and you need to run a f**k load of boost to wake them up.

Expensive but the new Owen developments turbos are meant to be rather responsive. I've got a 35hta in mine

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/product/533/Xona_Rotor_XR_65-56/

Last edited:
  Clio Williams
[QUOabout"Dan@SJM, post: 10781050, member: 15431"]I wouldn't have it any other way! 4wd does need to happen though[/QUOTE]

Have you thought about making into rear engined beast.

Going to be a expensive build to make it 4wd, but would be will worth it to keep the power down, especially if it's 600+

Countryman JCW
Looking good Dan... I saw you comment in a thread about being given a job that was slightly out of BAU range to showcase your skills. Are you able to offer 20vt conversions as a package to customers?...

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
That's what they advertise it at, same as they advertise the gtx2867 as a 450bhp turbo, but I've yet to see one make 410 on a 20vt

Yeah its a bit misleading the way the compressor maps are portrayed, TBH a T28 turbo is always going to Max out around 400bhp thanks to the small turbine wheel.

It seems the Evo boys are getting 600 on the 60mm turbine (gtx3076) so I'd like to see what the 67mm wheel in the gt35 range Max out at don't see any reason why it wouldn't do 700

Yeah its a bit misleading the way the compressor maps are portrayed, TBH a T28 turbo is always going to Max out around 400bhp thanks to the small turbine wheel.

It seems the Evo boys are getting 600 on the 60mm turbine (gtx3076) so I'd like to see what the 67mm wheel in the gt35 range Max out at don't see any reason why it wouldn't do 700

It's the lag that worries me tbh. I may end up using gas to help the spool.

Is this going to haldex 4wd system.

Probably.

You going for the haldex from the s3? Where is mostly front till It needs the back wheels? Or you going for the hpa upgraded controller for it, which gives it 50/50

Nah I won't be using a HPA controller, as I don't have any of the systems it needs to work. I'll be doing a Mechanical conversion on it to run constant 50/50
You going for the haldex from the s3? Where is mostly front till It needs the back wheels? Or you going for the hpa upgraded controller for it, which gives it 50/50

Ah fair enough
I'm looking forward to this. Though to me it sounds like you could have got a s3 and just tuned that for cheaper xD
It's a s3 in a clio shell xD

Clio 182
Have you thought about using one of the Borg Warner turbo variants? Few 5/600bhp builds I know all using them with none of the lag of the gtx series! I'm guessing they do a range of lower bhp rates turbo's as well.....

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Mine was supposed to have a Borg Warner EFR, but at the time only full race were doing them. After a ten month wait from paying I asked for my money back. GTXs are fine, they spool similar to normal GTs but they are designed for high boost applications

Clio 182
The guys I know running them all use MA Developments who seem be able to source them as loads of his big power builds run them, I know availability can be an issue though.
Not through personal experience but not heard great things about the gtx range, efr's transformed all the cars I know of previously running gt series turbos (spool times especially).
So much is opinion and personal experience based as whole engine builds are so varied, one turbo can perform so differently from one engine to another.

Thing about the EFR is that it's like computers. By the time you've got one it's already out of date. And they need new manifolds etc. where as a GT is 10 years old but it works and it's easily interchangeable. I know mark shead uses the GT series quite a bit. My mate has 3 cars all prepared by Mark, all of them on GT series turbos.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Hes also a big fan of the Borg Warner AirWerks range. I actually had a BWS256 but it was on a T4 twin scroll and I wimped out and sold it. I've ended up going with a T3 twin scroll GTX3071R which should be ample for 500 with decent spool.

Few more bits have turned up...

ARP head studs and main bearing studs & remote pedal box (I'll grab a picture tomorrow)

My GTX3582r with a gt30 compressor housing machined to suit.

40616F37-78B2-4481-903C-C968849B19B3_zps3eejlkqk.jpg

Dash2
24CF4A05-5C2A-4F01-909F-E993804077F0_zpsl2rhjggu.jpg

Just waiting on the wiseco pistons and supertech valve train to arrive before I can get the motor built.