ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CV boot replacement. Guide me please.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Hello all,

I will be picking up OEM parts to replace my passenger side outer CV boot.

I am aware of the basics and that I need to drain the box oil, however I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a detailed how to guide or explain things step by step.

I will be doing this work most probably in the dark using torch light due to working hours so a simple way of doing this would be appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I have the following items.

1 OEM thermoplastic cv boot, heavy duty jubilee clips, cv grease and 3L of the relevant box oil.

I also have the correct tools with the exception of some kind of special pliers to remove the existing clips.

Having found and studied the guide on here can anyone tell me if I must replace the box sump plug washer or can it be reused?

Can the existing clips be cut off?

​Cheers in advance.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
I always put a new sump washer in, whether I'm doing an oil change or anything else (where I've had to take the sump plug out). Worth it for 70p...

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I always put a new sump washer in, whether I'm doing an oil change or anything else (where I've had to take the sump plug out). Worth it for 70p...

Great, thanks.

Do you know what size I need? also, do you know if the original boot clips can just be prised off or do I need a specific tool?

Cheers.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
You can get the 'stretchable' gaiters that will save you taking the shaft out??

Cheers mate, I was aware of this but decided I wanted to do the full job. Box oil has never been changed so I may as well do it all.

Do you know if the original clips can be cut off?