ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cv boot passanger side split, track day on Tuesday.

Track 172 Cup
Need to get this done tomorrow any ideas on if I can just go and get a boot from motor factors and how big a job is it? Cars on axle stand now and ready to go or wheels back on and take it somewhere tomorrow. Would rather tackle it myself as I want to learn.
1422795480579.jpg
1422795533050.jpg

Get one of the universal stretch type ones...

Wheel off
Hub nut off
Lower balljoint off
Pull suspension leg away of driveshaft
Cut old boot off
Pack with grease
Fit new stretchy boot

Track 172 Cup
How do I get the new boot over the end of the drive shaft? I didn't get a cone or anything. Up to here was easy.
1422802374609.jpg

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ive not done one on a renualt but the ones i have done normally have a clip that holds the joint on the shaft. if you clean the grease away you should see it then use a screwdriver to spred it then it should pull off.

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
The stretch ones require a spreader tool and an air line to operate,looks like you will be taking that one apart to get the boot on.

Track 172 Cup
I've seen those spreaders but I ended up using a plastic pop bottle with the end cut off and washing up liquid and slid it over then managed to push the edges over with a spoon lol didn't wanna use a screw driver in case I split it. Only knackered the STUPID little metal clips you get so I'm going to use a jubilee clip to hold it in place will this be okay? The drivers side is on with a jubilee clip from when I bought it so assuming this is okay unless some pikey has done what I'm going to do lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you ever do one again, chuck the new CV boot in a kettle full of water and let it boil.
The boot is then so soft you can use your hands to stretch it over the CV joint.
It's been my method for years!

Track 172 Cup
Just gotta nip out in the morning to pick up some jubilee clips as everywhere was closed by the time I got to that point lol

Track 172 Cup
What a nightmare today was, managed to get everything all done and back together this morning. Went to Blink Motorsport to have my wheel alignment/tracking and camber setup and when I arrived seen my cv boot had been rubbing on the brake line and split the new one I had fitted (gutted and pissed off was an understatement) so had to get my dad to go the motor factors get me a new one and do it ah half 6 in the dark and freezing, good thing was only took me 45 minutes the 2nd time (got a cone and used the boiling water to heat up the new boot and it slipped straight on with a little washing up liquid lol). Hope it turns out ok at Oulton Park in the morning.