ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CV Boot - Grease coming out?

I changed the discs and pads on my 182 the other day, and on jacking my car up, I noticed on the passenger side there was a lot of thick grease stuff, like copper grease but black/greeny colour.

I then looked closer and where the Driveshaft joins the hub, the Rubber CV boot bit was loose, and I could see the metal clip that holds it tight had come off.

I've never touched these before so don't know much about them, is it a case of trying to put that clip back on, or do I need a whole new CV boot kit?

Should I be worried the grease stuff looks to be coming out?

Clio 172mk2
if all the greese comes out itll knacker yer drive shafts, some have used tie wraps to hold them on but the proper metal clip u need a tool to put them on

ph1 172
I've just replaced a CV boot on mine. £20 for a boot kit from Renault (includes grease).

As above special tool for clips required. I used heavy duty cable ties.

Pretty straight forward to do once I sussed out how to seperate the CV joint (hammer);)

Thing is it doesn't look damaged lol. Spose its not that expensive for a new one.

Only thing is don't know if I'd be able to put a new one in. Not sure what I'd be doing and I don't have no special tool, for putting the clip on or seperating the CV joint.

Thing is I've got my MOT on thursday so pretty sure something like this would be a fail.
If for now I just put refilled with some more grease, and put one of those bit metal jubilee clips round it would that be okay?
What grease do I put in?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Will be fine but make sure its clippd up for mot or it will fail, if not just ask the tester to put clips on for you.go to ur gsf an ask for cv greace, i got a tin for £4
Dont need a new cv boot unless its split/damaged

Impreza Wagon
Yep it needs to be packed with grease to keep the moving parts lubricated. They used to split on my 106 all the time and the grease causes a right mess!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Jus put a big scoop in mate, i get all 4 fingers in the tin and get a big scoop of it then stuff it in

Liquid Yellow R27
I've just put my 182 in for it's MOT this morning and it's failed due to the CV boot leaking. They said I will need 2 CV boots, gear oil and they will obviously charge for labour. Does £150 seem a reasonable price to pay a garage to fix this? Thanks in advance :)