ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cutting spring coils...is there a safe way?

Obviously this isn't to be recommended but is there a safe (or moderately safe) way to cut some length off a coil spring?

Obviously sticking a grinder or torch on it would heat the coil up too much sending the spring rates out to lunch and possibly weakening the structure so thats out.

However, if i just hacksawed it quarter of a coil at a time it should be ok as i can't see that making them potentally dangerous?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
im not sure its the hat that would cause it to fail, there all set to a poundage for the size and strength of a spring,

cutting the spring down cause massive stress on it its worked hard and would split and fail

Bit of background on this for those who wonder why i'm thinking of it;

I've lowered my mk1 1.2 on 16v -35mm shocks and springs but its not enough. Fitting -55mm 16v springs would be the logical course but its occurred to me that as they're meant for a much heavier car and will have an increased poundage its likely they won't actually lower the car to any good amount, if at all.

Since you can't get lower springs the only option is to cut.

I'd have thought this would be safe enoguh to do since my car won't be stressing the 16v springs so i *should* get away with it.

?

PMSL!

Seems the only alternative TBH...i'm reluctant to get customs ones made up or buy coilovers as its only a 700quid 1.2...got better things to spend my money on...