ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cut out in traffic

04BGFF182CLIORS
On my journey home last night my 182 cut out in traffic. It wasn't particularly heavy and was only stop/start for a few minutes.

It stalled when I dipped the clutch and then I could only keep it running by feathering the throttle - it was coughing and spluttering and would stall as soon as I stopped. I didnt get any EML lights on the dash.

​ I managed to roll into a lay-by and turned it off and popped the bonnet. After looking at the engine with a confused face for a couple of minutes I decided to start it back up...and it was running like normal.

I have driven to work this morning (20 miles) and it seems fine, but im obviously worried it will do it again or its the first signs of a big fault.

Coil pack maybe?

Any help would be great!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
More likely to be a crank position sensor fault from what you've described.

Mick

04BGFF182CLIORS
Thanks Mike - ill take it off and give it a clean at the weekend, fingers crossed that will solve it.

Whenever im sat in traffic im waiting for it to happen now, more and more paranoid by the lumpy idle!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If its heat soak thats effecting it simply cleaning it won't do anything, it'll need replacing.

I believe Laine was selling a new, updated part with loom recently.

04BGFF182CLIORS
Ok thanks, ill have to investigate!

Update: It almost died on me this morning but I managed to save it - I then had a flashing emmisions light for ~30seconds. My dad has a diagnostics machine so fingers crossed it has logged the fault!

04BGFF182CLIORS
Doing a little digging around it could be:

Cam sensor
Lambda (both not that old, so assuming not...)
CAT (bloody hope not!)
Coilpack
Injector/s

Its odd that when im driving its fine, its just once its been sat for a minute or so it throws a hissy fit!

04BGFF182CLIORS
Its not developed a misfire, and smells like sulpher...

My dad is coming over this evening to plug it in, but does it sound like coil pack?

I should add its not a constant misfire - turned it back on after a few minutes and it idled OK...

Clio 172 Phase 2
Sounds similar to what happened on my 1.2 Clio when I had it and that turned out to be the coil pack. Mine stuttered and misfired when setting off but once you had set off it was fine.
Does yours start alright or does it cut out after starting sometimes? If it cuts out it could be crank sensor as mentioned before.

04BGFF182CLIORS
Should have said its NOW developed a misfire

It didnt want to start straight after it died, but leaving it a few minutes and trying again it seemed OK...I know it will start missing again down the road!

I cuts out when running as soon as I dip the clutch at a junction. I have a feeling it could be a couple of things?!

04BGFF182CLIORS
UPDATE

Fault code was P0301 - missfire on cylinder 1.

Coil pack tested and seems OK - plugs removed while running and sparking like a gooden.

Spark plug from Cylinder 1 removed and very black, swapped with plug from cylinder 2. Problem solved for about 15 minutes...

Car is misfiring AND cutting out - which makes me think it could be something more than an injector, which is our last thing to check tomorrow :(

Any help greatly appreciated, beer tokens for anyone near Canterbury that can take a look!

04BGFF182CLIORS
UPDATE

After testing the injectors is became clear this wasnt the issue, so the new one is still in the packet. After looking at the leads + plugs again I think this could be the issue - after removing them, cleaning them etc (couple of the plugs did have a slight bit of corrosion/moisture) the misfire is now constant and no longer intermittent.

Obviously something has been disturbed, so new plugs + leads will be ordered monday. If this doesnt solve it im going to cry :S