ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup vs type r

03 172 cup
many people have said to me the 182 cup will beat a civic type r and so will the 172 cup,i no it always depends on the driver but how have people got on against em?

Tesla MP3 2021
it just depends on what the situation is.
i know for a fact that a172(not even cup) will beat a type r from say 10 - 100mhp...but Ater that the type r will pull away.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Sorry but its such a naff question, especially when you qualify it by saying 'off the lights or around town' . . . perhaps im just getting old and boring now im 23!

Not having a go :)

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
Type R - 197bhp - 1200kg - 6.4seconds
172 - 172bhp - 1035kg - 7.0seconds
182 Trophy - 182bhp - 1090kg - 6.9seconds

They're the official figures... the clio has the better power to weight ratio, but with the Civic's i-Vtech 2-litre, it's probably gonna win 1st gear.

As for other stuff... *shrug* ... load up gran turismo 4 and have a bash! :)

-Akira

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
To answer the question with regard to straight line speed, i test drove both a couple of weeks ago and would imagine the civic would pull away cleanly from about 90+ . . wouldnt say theres much difference in them though to be honest.

Real world acceleration differences between cars 20bhp or so apart is minimal to be honest.

182 and 5 GTT
I know a few people who have either type r, 172 and 182, and they are all pretty even. The clios will keep on the type r's bumper but it wont pull on them untill silly speeds. But off the lights or arround town is a stupid question. If you want to race one go to the pod or a trackday. Then you will have a fair test

VaVa
There's really not a great deal in it.

The TypeR in my experience at least, is quicker above 100, but below that it's pretty close.

LOL @ that video.... Can you get away with driving like at track days in this country??!!

clio 182 black /gold
I have driven the CTR and i thought it was more powerful than my 182 and it handled better

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Plattsy said:
i always thought 172s where slow, not so sure bout the cups or 182s tho. id expect a ctr to destroy a clio 172

:nono: not true matey, i was surprised in my cup, thought A type r would leave me but no :cool:

EVO VII
the clio in the vid is a phase 1 172 ;)

you dont see many CTR in the 14's @ santa pod.

Last edited:
  Megane Mk4
JayGTT said:

Thats why I posted it .... there isnt much difference as they look as though they're power to power round the track, but the guy in the clios out-performing the CTR round the bends and for the most part and you've gotta admit, hes flooring it on the outside and still managing to keep the pace on the CTR too...

still .. its a good race though ;)

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
Well, today i was keeping up with a CTR in my 172 CUP on the way back from swansea on the bendy roads.... an ofc i was not breaking any speed limits :)

EVO VII
l!ckeldev!l_2k1 said:
Thats why I posted it .... there isnt much difference as they look as though they're power to power round the track, but the guy in the clios out-performing the CTR round the bends and for the most part and you've gotta admit, hes flooring it on the outside and still managing to keep the pace on the CTR too...

still .. its a good race though ;)

So much for everyone saying the phase 1 handles crap compared to the phase 2. :( overtaking a CTR around the outside class :D

megane coupe F7R
Imo there is very little performance difference between these two cars so there is no point comparing. The winner out of the two will be down to the driver and his balls!

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
shootout_tiff2.jpg

^ dragged that off the fifth gear site.... yup, pretty much as close as it gets...

-Akira

Monaro VXR
Those times are too close to say anything really some slight differences coulda caused that not taking a corner quite as fast ie couple mph slower or something.

Too close to really say 1 is faster than the other. Although for everyday driveability the clio wins hands down. Unless you enjoy driving around at 7000+rpm all the time.

Megane Mk4
Steve2004 said:
That 172 can't be standard surely?

Dunno if its standard Steve .. But from the outside its looks to be, its got all the standard outside trims/exhausts/wheels etc..

but even if it is, the guy driving is pushing that 172 round them bends and managing to keep the CTR going...

Evenly matched motors.. Still good viewing though ;)

A Grey Slab (Audi Estate)
Ran 5 times against my friend (CTR) at york earlier this year in my 172 sport. Each run he beat me by about a cars length (a couple of tenths of a second). Times varried throughy the day but always about the same difference. Nothing in it.

jzr

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
well i had a play with type r an there was nothing in it an i have a full fat 172

Golf GTI Ed30
JayGTT said:

Neither do you see many 172/182's mate...
Mine ran 14's all day long.... and it was standard.. Best being a 14.5 @ 97mph

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I met one when i was three up. Thought i had no chance but ended up pulling on him no probs.

I'd expect a 172/82 to keep with one. I'd say its about level.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
If most of you lot would show your face at the dragstrip you would find out whats the quickest - dont talk about manufacturers figures - get off your ass and race one for real

I am from Far East. Civic Type R is designed for track usage basically. Same as Integra Type R (even better), it is probalby the best NA FF car in the world. But I don't think they import the Integra Type R to UK since 98, right?

But still, I love my Clio.