ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup racer weight ????

182cup & 172 racecar
If we could afford some plastic doors,we'd be right down the 800 mark,they weigh a bloomin ton,even with nothing in them.

Ian Collins in the other Clio in our series say's his weigh's about 820kg,he's got carbon door's though.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
doesnt surprise. I have a hewland sequential and its by no means light despite having a magnesium casing.

The sadev gearbox is 5 kgs more than a standard jc5. 40 kg versus 35 kg.

If a clio cup race car is 900 kg, no way you can get the same shell to 800 under the same fuel and fluid conditions.

As for mk1, evogone, a caged stripped, de-soundproofed mk1 shell is about 900 kgs. To get it lighter than that you have to have lighter windows.

The reason people on here beleive that their cars are dead light is because the official renault williams weight includes fuel. Drain the tank and you knock 50 kg off the weight to start with.

If you knock 50 kg off a williams weight of 990, you get 940, so a stripped caged mk1 at 900 kg is about right.

Someone weighed their williams with 1/4 tank of fuel:

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24598&highlight=weighed

Add in the other 3/4 tank = 37.5 kg = a total weight of 997.5, which is about right with the added weight of door bars in the williams 2, in this case.

Last edited:

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Mk2 cup racers are definitely around the 900kg mark, mine was weighed when it was SVA'd and if irc it was about 960kg. Thats with some fuel in the tank, a passenger seat, headlights, extra fire extinguisher, steel fuel tank guard, also had a slightly lighter carbon bonnet.

Apart from GRP doors/boot and poly carb windows and dont really see where you can loose much more weight, that will only loose you around 30kg so id be very suprised if anyone can get a mk2 under 850kg especially if you still have all the seam sealer and underseal on the car as cup racers do not have this.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Has anyone actually weighed the car on individual setup scales not the local weighbridge?

Mine was measured on the brake tester when its was SVA'd, not sure how accurate they are thought. Probably more accurate than weighbridge is.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
The sadev gearbox is 5 kgs more than a standard jc5. 40 kg versus 35 kg.

If a clio cup race car is 900 kg, no way you can get the same shell to 800 under the same fuel and fluid conditions.

As for mk1, evogone, a caged stripped, de-soundproofed mk1 shell is about 900 kgs. To get it lighter than that you have to have lighter windows.

The reason people on here beleive that their cars are dead light is because the official renault williams weight includes fuel. Drain the tank and you knock 50 kg off the weight to start with.

If you knock 50 kg off a williams weight of 990, you get 940, so a stripped caged mk1 at 900 kg is about right.

Someone weighed their williams with 1/4 tank of fuel:

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24598&highlight=weighed

Add in the other 3/4 tank = 37.5 kg = a total weight of 997.5, which is about right with the added weight of door bars in the williams 2, in this case.

Clio cups are built to rules and are not made the lightest they possibly can be. You can be more selective about cage design, and can cut out unwanted bodywork on your own car. Theres other areas to save weight on the actual engine with component choice etc, seat choice, wheel selection, suspension components etc etc

Clio cups are built to rules and are not made the lightest they possibly can be. You can be more selective about cage design, and can cut out unwanted bodywork on your own car. Theres other areas to save weight on the actual engine with component choice etc, seat choice, wheel selection, suspension components etc etc

Saving weight on the engine, lol. Yeah good one.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Saving weight on the engine, lol. Yeah good one.

Wasn't Kev referring to Rotational/inertial mass of pulleys/clutch assembly/ancillaries etc in the same respect that he mentioned wheel mass? Care to share your workings with us mere mortals to expand on how that's all pointless Richard? :)

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Wasn't Kev referring to Rotational/inertial mass of pulleys/clutch assembly/ancillaries etc in the same respect that he mentioned wheel mass? Care to share your workings with us mere mortals to expand on how that's all pointless Richard? :)

the flywheel is one of many though. My hewland on my pug requires me to use a lightweight flywheel, saving 5 kg over standard, the whole clutch is only 1kg in weight for it too. What size clutch setup has the Cup got? Throttlebodies can save about 3-4kg over standard induction system, lighter alternator 3 kg, lightweight starter motor, then you can get into forged piston weight, different steering racks, lighter 4 pot calipers and floating discs, removal of metal from doors, lightweight springs and dampers. Heck i've even seen carbon sumps! These are not massive differences in weight on their own but its the combination of everything together. Even looking at the radiator sizing, bumper materials, lighter mirrors, moving to one wiper blade and lighter motor...the list can go on and on and it depends on how dedicated and anal you want to be.
On my Peugeot we cut out half the rear inner skin as its effectively spaceframed by the cage!

So yeah. If someone wheeled in a cup racer and gave me the right budget it would not be hard to send it away light enough to give it a mild advantage over an original

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
So a Mk1 on balance will always be about 50-75kgs lighter than the equivelant Mk2 ?

Or you could get some jockey to drive your car and save 100 kgs. Seriously, the OP was asking about cup cars and stripped cars, making fancy posts about exotic metals and expensive engine stuff is pointless and off topic and i think you are just trying to make yourself sound intelligent.

If you do some research he has a mk1 cup car with throttlebodies and a cage and stripped. I think he is weighing up the options for other shells, talking about engine components while interesting should be in its own topic on another thread.

Or you could get some jockey to drive your car and save 100 kgs. Seriously, the OP was asking about cup cars and stripped cars, making fancy posts about exotic metals and expensive engine stuff is pointless and off topic and i think you are just trying to make yourself sound intelligent.

If you do some research he has a mk1 cup car with throttlebodies and a cage and stripped. I think he is weighing up the options for other shells, talking about engine components while interesting should be in its own topic on another thread.

Do you have any idea how annoying it is reading your posts?

The OP asked how much cup racers weigh AND what the lightest car was on here. The replies stated how much cup racerss weigh and a few other people posted the weight of their cars
YOU then started ranting about how they were dreaming and no way could their cars be any lighter than a cup racer
Several people then pointed out to you that cup racers aren't that light and it's easy to get a clio lighter than a cup racer
You then again argued and said that was rubbish, and then people have replied showing EXACTLY how you can get an extra 40ish kg out of a clio by using a lighter cage, throttle bodies, lighter suspension/brakes etc.. etc..

Then after all that you winge saying they are talking off-topic and should get back to the original post

LMFAO!!!

Thanks for trashing an otherwise intelligent conversation on how to get a 172 down to a light-weight with poorly thought out replies and then after being proven VERY wrong moaning at everyone else like it's their fault.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Is that dry weight? Or with all fluids?

With all fluids and a little bit of fuel. Enough fuel for a session at a track day before coming in for a cool down.

Its things like having Ultraleggers with slicks over 2118's with R888's which saved me 20KG.

Fully rewiring my car must have saved me 10/15kg.

Our engine bays are pretty similar so yours cant be far off the weight of mine.

TVR Cerbera
With all fluids and a little bit of fuel. Enough fuel for a session at a track day before coming in for a cool down.

Its things like having Ultraleggers with slicks over 2118's with R888's which saved me 20KG.

Fully rewiring my car must have saved me 10/15kg.

Our engine bays are pretty similar so yours cant be far off the weight of mine.
Except my fat arse in the drivers seat lol

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
awww he just needs a hug as the realisation that the Clio Cup is not the pinnacle of tin top motorsport strikes home

Clio 182 Race Car
If we could afford some plastic doors,we'd be right down the 800 mark,they weigh a bloomin ton,even with nothing in them.

Ian Collins in the other Clio in our series say's his weigh's about 820kg,he's got carbon door's though.

It weighs 805kg full of oil and water and about 5L of fuel, just weighed it on longacre scales in the workshop. I recon getting rid of the Dymag wheels and fitting some OZ F1s and flatting the boot floor I can get it to 780kg.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Had mine corner weighted end of last week and had the suspension set up , he said it weighed 925kg

182cup & 172 racecar
It weighs 805kg full of oil and water and about 5L of fuel, just weighed it on longacre scales in the workshop. I recon getting rid of the Dymag wheels and fitting some OZ F1s and flatting the boot floor I can get it to 780kg.
Pikey.

Get on a diet as well then.;)

TrackCar & F30 330d

I'm not sure what Dymag wheels are but I went from 15" OZ F1' to 15" OZ ultraleggeras and saved 20kg!