ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cub's Flamer - Supercharged, Cage etc

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Re: Cub 172's Flamer Project

Update - Summary Spec of the car as it currently stands

Engine

- 438 cams
- K-Tec Induction Kit (White)
- K-Tec / Vibratec Solid Engine Mounts
- Matched Inlets
- K-Tec 3.5" Recessed Supersports exhaust
- 90k miles, RR'd @ 197 bhp, 165 lb ft

Transmission

- New Gearbox
- Gripper LS Diff

Handling

- Bilstein B14 Coilovers
- Whiteline ARB
- Eibach Hubcentric Spacers (15mm) all round

Braking

- Ferodo DS2500's
- Brembo HCs (Front)
- Renault OEM Discs (Rear)
- Goodridge Braided Brake Lines

Interior

- 2x Sparco Evo 3 Bucket Seats
- OMP Subframes
- OMP 3" Harnesses
- Custom Oreca / Renaultsport 330mm Steering Wheel
- OMP boss
- 6 point Roll Cage
- K-Tec Rear Boot Mat
- Renaultsport Front Mats
- Sony CD Player with Ipod Connector
- White Dash Strips & Gear Insert
- Alcantara Handbrake Cover
- Rear Strut Brace

Exterior

- Cup Splitter
- Trophy Spoiler
- Renault Sport 197 Badge
- Porsche 'Bee Sting' Aerial

Piccies;

SideOnBetter.jpg

RearStraightOn.jpg

InsideSeats.jpg

FrontSide.jpg

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

f**king awesome Oli. Looking forward to seeing it.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

Cheers Luke, i'll text you about sunday later in the week. Hopefully it will be good weather, else its 'hunt a car park' time :)

I found a decent empty one in Green park mate. Should be good for some shots!

Think Couzens and Matt were up for coming too.

Never seen this thread before, car looks great mate :approve:

Good shots of it on track, bet it performs great on track with the set up & extra power you've got.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Never seen this thread before, car looks great mate :approve:

Good shots of it on track, bet it performs great on track with the set up & extra power you've got.

The diff is the thing that seemed to set it apart most from others at llandow IIRC

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Lol - Tony and Chip, right on both counts!

Craig - I'm not planning to do anything to it next year other than track it as much as possible, as it seems more than capable of having fun in. I need to be a better driver before I further up the power. Glad you like it, your sunflower is probably my favourite clio on here, bar mine ;)

Chip - the diff is without doubt the best 'mechanical' mod on it. Gives it that little bit more in the wet.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Lol - Tony and Chip, right on both counts!

Craig - I'm not planning to do anything to it next year other than track it as much as possible, as it seems more than capable of having fun in. I need to be a better driver before I further up the power. Glad you like it, your sunflower is probably my favourite clio on here, bar mine ;)

Chip - the diff is without doubt the best 'mechanical' mod on it. Gives it that little bit more in the wet.

On really tight stuff (hairpin at mallory) you will notice it in the dry too, even on moderate power, and the more power you get the more useful it will be, its a fantastic modification to do to a clio.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Cub 172's Flamer Project

Cheers bud, more photos in the media section.

You can drive it at Llandow if you want :)

:D

I do love you. X

Are you doing Bedford?? I'm going to book it tomorrow but Sam lands from Australia on the evening before! Proper messed up my plans of a hotel and a piss up.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

I am doing Bedford mate, can't wait. Afraid I can't stay the night before either now :(

I've got a second driver (my brother in law) coming along to that as well.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Cub 172's Flamer Project

We may stay sat night. I certainly don't want to drive there and back in a day plus a days track driving!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

I had then done at the same time as the cambelt, as a package from K-Tec. Think they are 1500 but I'd check on K-tecs website mate.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

We may stay sat night. I certainly don't want to drive there and back in a day plus a days track driving!

Few of us already booked into a nearby travel lodge, hopefully will be a good night as well as a good trackday.
Let me know if you want me to PM details of which one etc.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Right, update time. Apologies - this is likely to be a long one, with quite a few ups and downs.

Since having the cage and seats put in, I started to plan a 'season' of trackdays to get the best out of the flamer and to improve my own track skills somewhat :eek:

I aimed to do 6 to 8 trackdays between Feb and Oct, and with this in mind at the tail end of last year I booked both Bedford GT circuit on Feb 16th (Chips PassionFord day) and Burpspeed's third Llandow day on March 7th. The intention was then to book Anglesey, Mallory, Cadwell, Castle Combe and Silverstone or Bedford again. However, just after christmas the problems started.

The Flamer has always used a small amount of oil, ever since I bought it from JMS. When I say small, I mean small enough not to worry, topping it up say 0.75l every 4000 or so miles. It also ran strong at K-Tecs rolling road (174bhp and 157 lb ft) so for a car with 80k miles on and one engine rebuilt under its belt, it wasn't overly concerning me. After christmas and early January it started using alot of oil, and on a cold day I could see noticeable puffs of white smoke coming out of the exhaust on down shifts or when taking it high in the rev range. The rate at which it ate oil began to increase, worryingly.

It also felt down on power, still pulling when on cam, but not as punchy as it was when the cams first went in. So, the Surrey Rolling Road day on the 9th Feb rolled up. Was great to meet some new faces, see old ones and watch Budgie's ineptness with the baller beemer ;). Unsurprisingly the flamer did not run good figures. It ran 184 bhp (can't remember lb ft off the top of my head). Considering it ran 197bhp and 167lb ft at K-Tec, which Charlie said should translate to 190ish on his rollers, it was clear the flamer was poorly. This is where the fun starts.

I had bedford booked, so ran the flamer anyway. Epically it ran all day, with 3 others driving it in addition to myself, it was constantly on track. The flamer was like a ring-taxi, lol. Really enjoyed Bedford, first time there and I loved it. Was great to have a strong clio contingent out, and catch up with people off here. The only problem was it boiled its brake fluid - big thanks to Mike from MWM for an impromptu fluid change in the pits. Oh, and it ate 2.5 litres of oil, in one day on track :(

Anyway, I spoke to Mike (MWM) whilst at Bedford and agreed to get it booked in with him to do a compression test, leak down and map check. So, I took it down to Mike and my worst fears were confirmed. It ran 140,150,150,155 on the compression test. It was also pushing oil out of itself at every opportunity. So, onto the map test. I don't want to spend a lot of time or effort arguing on a forum, so i'll keep it brief and people can read into it what they want. The AFR showed the map was lean from 0 to 6k pretty much, ranging from slightly lean, to not so slightly lean. Not so lean that it was causing cold start issues, or any noticeable problems, but at one point it was in the 15's. Mike will know more, as he has the data log. I think its fair to say, there have been a few 'interesting' threads of late, in relation to 438's and their mapping. I know of at least 4 cars that have now had problems with maps on their 438'd cars.

In the interests of fairness, I took it back to K-Tec (i've used them for everything since I bought the car, so it hasn't been in anyone elses hands). They had it for half a day, did their own compression, leak down and map check. The compression was low but slightly higher than when Mike did it, 155 - 160 across the board, and they then told me the leak down came back fine. They were as surprised about this as I was, and I still struggle to grasp how an engine that seems to push oil out of itself at a rate of knots, has low compression and is down on power, comes back as fine on a leak down. Anyway, onto the map. They checked the map and I was told they put a bit of fueling back in but it wasn't lean enough to cause problems. So.....read into it what you will, I am amazed it still ran 184bhp at SRR a few weeks earlier if I'm honest.

Please don't turn this project thread into an 'anti k-tec' abuse thread, as I don't want it locked. I'll know more when the dead engine comes out. At the moment, it could have been a number of things (the engine itself is Guppy's old ITB'd 182 one) and I don't have any categorical evidence to the contrary. When I take the engine apart, i'll update you all accordingly :)

So...I then decided if it was dying, I might aswell run the car at Llandow, which I did. And despite it eating oil again, it performed well and was still great fun. The gripper diff once again delivered its value, and I feel is by far the best mod to the clio. Luke shared the driving with me, and seemed to enjoy himself :). Hopefully it has persuaded him to get back into a clio. Tony and Jay took it out also, and commented on how it was clearly both 'poorly' and also quite vague on the steering. I need to investigate this, as the day progressed I also felt the steering got worse. It may be the Bilsteins as they've done 18k with no refurb yet. Either way, I think a full refresh of the steering bits and bobs at the front may be on the agenda. First though, the engine.

Its bad timing, as I'm moving house, so every spare bit of cash is going into that. Short term, i'm hoping to get the dying one out, and put a standard engine in and sell the cams to raise funds. This means I can run it, enjoy it on track, whilst saving for the longer term options. The longer term options i'm considering are;

- Forge it, then ITB it with lairy cams.
- Forge it, then turbo it.
- Forge it, then supercharge it.

Do any of the above, not forging it. So...what do the masses think?

Here are some pics of it in action at llandow;

Llandow_6_zps4c4ee6c4.jpg

Llandow_2_zps995a45d4.jpg

Llandow_4_zps40e02a48.jpg

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

Did you get my PM earlier about Le Mans?

I think you should forge the engine as it would be silly not to if rebuilding/swapping the engine. At least then you'll know the engine is healthy and a good base for ITBs or a turbo.

Last edited:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

Despite all of the issues, this car is the sole reason why I will end up buying another Clio by summer. I love it!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

I did mate. I can't take an extra in the flamer, the lack of rear seats causes a problem.

Agree we need to get together, problem is - i'm on another stag do this weekend. One night next week?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Despite all of the issues, this car is the sole reason why I will end up buying another Clio by summer. I love it!

Cheers bud, how is the hunt for a clio going? The issues on mine present opportunity, that is the positive spin i'm putting on it :)

NA vs Turbo vs SC. That is the question.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

I did mate. I can't take an extra in the flamer, the lack of rear seats causes a problem.

Agree we need to get together, problem is - i'm on another stag do this weekend. One night next week?

I think Chris can take his Dad's 5 series so shouldn't be a problem now. We're meeting on Saturday but I'm sure Tim and I can meet you next week as well.

Cheers bud, how is the hunt for a clio going? The issues on mine present opportunity, that is the positive spin i'm putting on it :)

NA vs Turbo vs SC. That is the question.

Get Mike to turbo it.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

I'll stand by what I said before on the oil use, it's Valve guide wear (not stem seals as i've been massively misquoted saying) A pretty extreme example though.
I have seen one cammed car chuck off the stem seal spring on a valve, and when the head came off, you could see where the oil had been pouring down into the exhaust port because it was still soaked (only on 1 cylinder) That had no signs of low compression. 8 exhaust valve guides and a new set of stem seals and it was away. It had used a litre in 100 miles previously

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Well its all a bit acedemic now I guess as wether its rings or guides or other its engine apart either way.

Depends what you personally want from a car where you go next, I quite like the sound and "feel" of n/a but conversely I don't like the lack of pace when at certain tracks as it means if you are n/a you can't get fast enough on some bends for them to feel like a bend (Combe is bad for this and is my local track)
superchargers I like but only centrifugal types and they can be a bit of a maintainance nightmare.

So on balance I'd go turbo, but I'm guessing that's not a surprise tbh.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Small update. Flamer is still doing its best 'oil burner' impression. Because of this, i'm not using it that much due to having to keep buying oil. I did go for a b-road blast over the weekend which made me remember how much I love it, and i'm still taking it to Le Mans so it won't sit in my car park at home for the whole of summer. I've also booked onto the Burpspeed Llandow day again in August, as it is still fun even if its only pushing out 180 or so bhp.

The only thing I have had done, is Mike at MWM did a proper full brake fluid change (after the impromptu one at bedford pitlane), fluid replaced with ATE Superblue :).

I hadn't put these photos in this thread yet, so dropped them in here as I love them and want the decent pics all in my project thread (courtesy of Luke and Ryan, who are much better with cameras than me).

8392146527_8a2755ea9f_z.jpg

8257433851_b17fde552d_z.jpg

In terms of plans, it all depends if/when I sell my flat. At the moment, no 'big money' can be spend on the flamer, which is disappointing. But, I am definitely going forged and i'm leaning towards either Turbo or NA. NA is in the lead at the moment, but i'm hoping i'll see Sharkeys at some point which may help in the decision making.

Short Term plans

-
Nurse it to Le Mans and back!
- Spank it around llandow
- I bought these cheap some time ago, which i've not got round to sorting, so i'll try them and see if I like or not. If I like them, the bullets need tidying up as they aren't perfect and the replacement handbrake surround is going to be sprayed the same colour white as my dashstrips.

Bullets_zpsf0fb3f2b.jpg

Handbrake_zps943420f7.jpg

Medium Term Plans

- Engine rebuild, forge it and then lairy cams, ITBS or Turbo.
- I had a thread up asking on wheel opinions, link below, and i've opted for 15" 2118s with some sticky tyres on (Direzzas, 888s or Yokos). I'm hoping to head to Fletchs were I can try both his white and anthracite ones to see how they look before deciding on colour. They'll be bought when the engine rebuild is sorted.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?682056-Photoshop-help-and-a-question

- The gearbox needs to come out at some point due to the gripper needing maintenance.
- Refresh some of the steering parts on the front and the bilsteins.

Long Term Plans

- Track the pants off it, and get plenty of tuition (thanks for volunteering Tony ;)). Hoping to do 6-10 days in it next year, with a trip to the ring.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Its only about 100 quid for the full year for person+partner for cover for the whole of europe with ADAC, because its mainly germans in it and their cars dont go wrong much, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

You can use it in the UK too, the only downside is you have to call an international number for assistance, but they have english speakers so its hasslefree other than the call cost.
Personally though I have free cover as part of my bank account so I would just use that instead, but you could rely solely on the ADAC cover here and abroad if you wanted to.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

I get AA free through work, but it doesn't include european cover sadly. I'll do some investigating, but I will definately need some cover as I doubt colsheface would be happy driving across the channel to pick me up in his truck.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I get AA free through work, but it doesn't include european cover sadly. I'll do some investigating, but I will definately need some cover as I doubt colsheface would be happy driving across the channel to pick me up in his truck.

If it was a pound a mile he would, lol