ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crunching going into 2nd (second) gear

04 Clio 1.6 16vDynamique+
This is worrying.
When going from any gear into 2nd, it crunches as I put the gear stick down into 2nd. This crunching can be long or short depending on how quickly I push the gear stick into gear.
I'm wondering if it could be an alignment thing. Maybe the alignment for 2nd gear is out of sync slightly???

I one for saving money where possible because labour is over priced so is this something I could do myself?
Could it be any other than the syncr?

I one for saving money where possible because labour is over priced so is this something I could do myself?
Could it be any other than the syncr?

Get haynes manual and have a read then.

Unlikly to be the sycro since third gear usualy goes first.

could need new gearbox oil but I'd recon ajustemnt is all it needs .

I don't have enough money even for a Haynes manual right now so I'm just going to have to put up with driving everywhere without using 2nd gear lol.
Could I have mashed the gear cogs? My biggest fear is that I will need a new gearbox :S

I don't have enough money even for a Haynes manual right now so I'm just going to have to put up with driving everywhere without using 2nd gear lol.
Could I have mashed the gear cogs? My biggest fear is that I will need a new gearbox :S

Just take care with it.

If you cannot afford to use it then take it off the road ofr a bit.

Rusty Cup
hiya my 1.6 16v used to do the same (before i wrapped it round a tree lol) it seemed to do it when i was tryin to rag it a bit, never did it when drivin slowly...

probably not much help but atleast there is consistency between the two problems.

Laters

BMW M135i
I'd say the syncro ring is on the way out, it happens if you rush the box continually. It is self doable but you've got to know what your doing really or you'll never get the box back together again its not easy.

You can try an gearbox oil change and hope is the first thing i'd try.

This sounds promising compared to my fear of having to get a new gearbox.
The gears used to crunch a little when rushing the gearbox but now it does it all the time at any speed or manner of use. I must admit I do rush the gearbox a lot, I've become addicted to 2nd gear wheelspins.

I will most likely have to do this myself as I'm guessing labour would cost between £2000 and £10,000!!! :dead:

When I get around to doing it I'll post up step by step notes and pics for others people to use. I should have done that when I replaced the electric window motor, but to be fair thats really quite easy in comparison.

And yeah, I can not even afford the £8.99 Haynes Manual from eBay :cool:
I need to save up money to fix my extremely mangled Clio (quoted at £9500 for repairs at a garage or about £1500 for parts DIY) and the synco ring on my Megane.

BMW M135i
Well you've answered your own question there then, the JB/JC series of renault gearboxes do not like being rushed at all. Theres a big difference between quick driving and blatent abuse and you fall under the second one tbh, MarkCups 172 Cup has 100k+ of hard driving on it and afaik its still on the original gearbox.

Have you ever rebuilt a gearbox before? I don't think you understand the complexity of it, you'd be better of just getting a new gearbox and swapping them that'd be difficult enough if changing a window motor is as far as you've got. Then learning to drive and stopping being a tool might be an idea too by the sounds of it.

Apologies for my honesty, I have taken on board the positive comments with thanks.

Titanium 182
before you shift into second let the revs die right down then rev it again before you bring your clutch up to make it a smooth gear change. my mates seichento sporting does the exact same thing theres an art to it :D

unless of course your problem is completely different.

BMW M135i
before you shift into second let the revs die right down then rev it again before you bring your clutch up to make it a smooth gear change. my mates seichento sporting does the exact same thing theres an art to it :D

unless of course your problem is completely different.
Letting them die right down still won't really help, a double-declutched downshift would though. I always do it at high revs to try and save the syncros from wearing out, never just mash it in.

I have now also noticed that I can put it into 2nd without the clutch. This produced the same amount of crunching noise as if I do use the clutch.

Could this still be the synchro ring or maybe a clutch problem?

53 Clio's & counting
does it crunch even if you change slowly mate? mine used to chunch on fast changes till i put the correct box oil in,now its perfect and im on 116k now

Oi thats not fair lol, you know what I mean. Im just saying that it doesnt resist going in without the clutch as it would with any of the other gears, at any revs.
It crunches what ever I do, any revs or speed of change.

BG 182
What is the
does it crunch even if you change slowly mate? mine used to chunch on fast changes till i put the correct box oil in,now its perfect and im on 116k now
correct box oil mate? I have 75 80 and getting a wee crunch 1-2 unless I double clutch up . Also can go from 1-2 at low speeds without clutch lol

Listerine & Poledo
Im just saying that it doesnt resist going in without the clutch .
Do you mean when the engine is off? Because OK, fair enough.

Otherwise, as per previous posts, sounds like you lunched the box by treating it like a civic.

BG 182
Do you mean when the engine is off? Because OK, fair enough.

Otherwise, as per previous posts, sounds like you lunched the box by treating it like a civic.
lol it's a second hand box wasn't me. Talking 5mph tho, no crunches , only crunches at high revs