ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise Control and driving at a consistent speed

Clio 182 Cup
Hey, was wondering if anyone else finds this annoying. I drive on motorways quite a lot and tend to use my cruise control which is great. However, I always get at least one car that gets right on my back bumper and so I move over letting it over take only to see the same car a few miles down the road in the slow lane. Is it really that difficult to drive at a consistent speed? Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this???

Cruise control sorts out the men from the boyz.

I got pulled once for what the Police classed as fluctuating speed. Should have seen him back peddling when I told him I had cruise control.

Titanium 182
I stay at a constant speed, but I use my right foot.

Cruise control would tend to use more fuel, since it's always trying to stay at the preset speed whether it's going up hill, or down.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
People who cant maintain speed piss me off! Hate overtaking someone on a motorway or daul carriageway, for them to come back past you two miles down the road, and then a further two miles down the road your having to move over to overtake them again. Often this repeats two or three times. Properly winds me up lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
...so I move over letting it over take...

You sit in lane 2 regardless of speed/lane 1 traffic?

The randomness of other drives beggars belief sometimes though, I tend to always find someone who resents being overtaken, so comes past, then slows down, so gets overtaken again, then comes past, then slows down, so gets overtaken again, then comes past, then slows down, so gets overtaken again...repeat ad infinitum.

Grrrr.

Clio 182 Cup
I am glad other people notice this! It is so annoying...lol it is usually either an Audi or someone that drives with their fog lights on! That is my other bug bear people who drive in the dark with only their side lights and fog lights on!!! Rant over :) lol

Clio 182 Cup
Mark, no I don't sit in lane 2 lol :) it really winds me up those drivers that constantly sit in the middle lane! The way I was taught to drive is the fast lane is for overtaking in...lol

I am glad other people notice this! It is so annoying...lol it is usually either an Audi or someone that drives with their fog lights on! That is my other bug bear people who drive in the dark with only their side lights and fog lights on!!! Rant over :) lol

:( lol

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I don't have cruise control yet, but it's one of the things I most want.

However, what the OP describes is how my car tackles hills. I can go at a decent pace when on the flat or downhill, then lose everything going uphill. I call this 1.2 syndrome.

320d
I find the inconsistent speeds people drive at increasingly annoying since I got a car with cruise control. Its not worth using it if the motorways busy. When its quiet though its great, just stick it on cruise and relax.

As a truck driver our fleet is limited to 52 mph so i get overtaken by everything apart from Tesco drivers, Nine times out of ten if i overtake a car it will either speed off leaving me in the middle lane or flash me in then overtake only for me to catch them up in a couple of miles. Grinds my gears lol

YES. Annoying, isn't it.

The A34 is 40 minutes of hills and troughs.

Endless "get overtaken by Focus/C4/Transit or poverty spec BMW/Audi/VW who didn't spec cruise control because they only wanted the badge" whilst going downhill before endless "overtaking said car which is now doing 60mph at the crest of the hill."

Literally spend my life being overtaken downhill, and overtaking whilst going uphill. It's ridiculous to the point that you'll drive slowly for 10 minutes just to get away from a certain other car.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
There are no fast lanes they are as previously stated lanes 1, 2 and 3 and lanes 2 and 3 are for overtaking only and yes it p's the crap out of me when you're at 70 using CC then have to move to lane 3 to overtake some t**t in lane 2 doing 65 oblivious to what he's doing wrong or when you're overtaking someone at said 70 and they then try to speed up to either stop you or have suddenly realised they're being overtaken by a Clio and it's sadly large family cars MPVs or the sales rep in poverty spec Audi's or diesel bm's who don't believe something so small could be quicker than them ( I said quick not fast before anyone complains )
;) now that's my two Pennith

SQ5
Best thing to do if someone is in the middle lane is play the circle game, I do this often.

Overtake said car and come back into the first lane, they will then overtake you. Repeat this procedure and see how many circles you can do around them before they notice!

Clio 182 Cup
Danny, that sounds quite fun, next time I find someone so annoying sitting in the middle lane (lane 2) oblivious to anyone else on the road I will play the circle game :)

Megane 225 F1
LOL at people getting anal about the names of the lanes. Lane "3" is nicknamed "fast" lane because people go faster in it just like a ph-1 is nick named "ph-quick". Deal wid it.