ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cross threaded hub on mk3 clio

Fitted some H&R hubcentric spacers (15mm front and 20mm rear) on my brothers mk3 1.2 clio and 3 of the new extended wheel bolts seem to have cross threaded onto the front N/S hub.

These are the extended wheel bolts my brother ordered. Advised over the phone by Dave Featherstone at demontweeks...

12MM 1.5 60 DEG ZINC PLATED 45MM LONG WHEEL BOLT

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motor...yre_Accessories/Grayston_Wheel_Bolt/1789/5277

I initially though the front would need a length of bolt to be 26mm + 15mm = 41mm.

And the rear 26mm + 20mm = 46mm

The closest demontweeks do to that is 39mm and 45mm. However Dave advised that 45mm on front and back should be fine, so my bro went with that.

When it came to fitting the extended bolts they didn't seem to thread on smoothly and in doing so has cross threaded onto the hub. Now when I put the original bolts back on without the spacers 3 of them won't thread on smoothly and get very tight very quickly obviously as they're cross threaded.

I'm not convinced having 45mm extended bolts on the front where 41mm was needed was right, as the bolts were 4mm longer than needed, could this has caused the cross threading somehow.

Also is M12 x 1.5 17mm HEX Fixed 60 Degree the correct alloy wheel bolts for a mk3 1.2 TCE clio. I'm wondering if the 1.5 thread size is incorrect. Had a quick measure and its difficult to tell if the new extended bolts have the exact same thread as the originals.

On one of the hubs it seems to have cross threaded 3 of the holes but one is fine. Also on the other 3 wheels all bolts go back on fine, spin freely all the way until they need tightening at the end as they should normally.

Sorry about the length of the post, hopefully someone can advise what the best step to take is, I'm guessing a new hub on the drivers side front, and hopefully the others are ok?

Thinking about it, when the extended bolts were first threaded on they went in smoothly no tightness until the last part of the thread (maybe as the extra 4mm length forced the cross threading to happen)