ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crosby Beach Sunset

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
So last night I went to Crosby the home of Anthony Gormley’s famous ‘Another Place’ for a sunset. Feel free to C+C because I’m not sure if I like them or not :S

Anyway the pics-

7556730400_5c30845374_z.jpg

Crosby Beach by Niall97, on Flickr

7556754222_62913982b1_z.jpg

7556785990_5d2040e430_z.jpg

7556795516_65415347b5_z.jpg

7556840590_a9e282f524_z.jpg

7556859136_966faeef9d_z.jpg

7556906970_5c60f80223_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

They are good enough not to warrant negative criticism but they don't stand out enough to warrant heaps of praise imo.

My favourite is the last one, without the statue, I like the ripples in the sand and the colourful reflections in the wet sand/water.

Some of the skies look a little noisy like they have been pushed 'hard' in raw? Why iso 160? Was f18 used to get shutter speed to 30 secs as lenses become softer on crop bodies at such tiny apertures.

For some inspiration, I like this shot on 500px (not mine!) http://500px.com/photo/1025495

It looks like it was taken with an ultra wide.

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST-3
Love one and six dude :)

Brazo's advice is always worth taking on board. For me, the weird statue maybe ruins a lovely view?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers scott, and Brazo that is what I was thinking, which is why I didn’t know if I liked them. And ISO 160 was accidental, not that it’d make much difference to 100 anyway but still. The small aperture was used so that I could do the 30 second exposure to get the cloud movement, I was aware of the softness after around f11 or so but I thought I could just sharpen them in pp which could have been the result of those noisy skies. I’ll have another play in Lightroom and Post the results.

Next time try a more classical rule of thirds composition. I feel the subject is close to frame edge.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Next time try a more classical rule of thirds composition. I feel the subject is close to frame edge.

Yeah, some of that might be to do with the distortion corrections in lightroom where I’ve had to crop the picture, In hindsight theres a few things I’d have changed, I’ll have to pay another visit one time, I would have liked to get a lower PoV but the tripod only went that low.

Those are great man, #1 is my favourite.

Cheers :)

Good effort Niall, Your photography is coming on day by day!

Thanks Riad!

Great shots! :)

Meg 300Cup
They all look really good to me, the only ones that could do with a second going over are the ones with the really obvious halo around the main subject, you can make HDR images realistic when you remove small things like this.

Also try the rule of thirds on a few images but don't always stick to it, you're images will become very boring if they all have the same composition.

Also don't worry about the Diffraction limited aperture too much, yes it does start to make the images softer, but not so bad that images become unusable, you'll never see pros only stop down to f11 just because of their cameras DLA

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I’ve noticed the halo around some, probably down to pp. And the rule of thirds was used in the original shot and isn’t a million miles off in the final picture, but with changing the distortion and straightening horizons the image had to be cropped to not get a grey triangle in the corners I guess I’ll take all this into consideration next time, still learning about landscape photography and its challenges, I’ve only started doing more in the last 6 months, there’s a lot more to think about than just general shooting.

*Sometimes* you can just clone out those grey triangles (after distortion correction) if the background is fairly clonable!

Not saying *I do* ;) Just that you can ;)